[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there STEM courses where requiring a calculator for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: calculator.jpg (11KB, 250x300px) Image search: [Google]
calculator.jpg
11KB, 250x300px
Are there STEM courses where requiring a calculator for exams makes sense?
>>
Statistics maybe
>>
Probably most of them? I don't understand the question.
>>
>>7696276
engineering, physics, chem
>>
>>7696276
any engineering class because getting it wrong IRL will result in people dying or losing lots of money and your ass getting fired and certifications revoked.
>>
>>7696276
Depends on the course.

AE student here. Most of my courses prohibit the use of calculators, mostly because the objective of most exams is to verify you know the subject, and in many cases that you can create mathematical models of whatever you need to model, so calculators aren't even needed. However in some cases you don't need to model anything; in Orbital Mechanics I had to calculate orbital transfers and maneuvers and such, there was nothing to model, there's not much to model about orbits anymore, and the amount of calculations was huge and a good calculator was absolutely required.

So yeah, there are, but less than you might think.
>>
Obviously as a Math major not a single one of my classes required one. I'd use one now and then for approximating things to try and see patterns, but more often than not that was a waste of time.
>>
>>7696279
Actually now that you mention it, my upper-division Statistics class DID require some light calculations. But I think that was just to cater to actuaries since that was most of who took that class.
>>
>>7696288
Its not hard when a computer does all the crunching and numbers. You were memed my friend.
>>
>>7697994
As a math major I can attest to this. I've always found it funny how math majors never use calcualators.
>>
>>7698003
>crunching numbers
Fuck you
>>
You don't really NEED a calculator when you are learning because they are teaching the method.

Now, if the numbers are real messy like irl, then calculators are sometimes necessary. But in uni, it doesnt get real messy and professors let you get away with using constants or reducing the answer to the simplest form, even if its something like sqrt(4(e-e^-1)/3pi).
>>
Any course with a focus on computation.

>>7696279
Not really. Only if it is focused on computations.
>>
Physics duh

My Uni forces us to buy their own approved versions of calculators because apparently you can programme normal calculators to shit the answers for you in exams, you're literally not allowed to sit the exam without one, money grubbing bastards
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.