[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is everybody's favorite equation and why? Mine's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: timeindependant.png (3KB, 454x113px) Image search: [Google]
timeindependant.png
3KB, 454x113px
What is everybody's favorite equation and why? Mine's the time independent Schrodinger equation because of all the quantum numbers that fell out of it.
>>
That one with the integral and dx at the end. I forgot it.
>>
>>7695475
I like the integrals with dt at the end better
>>
>>7695402
I like the time dependent one.

Fight me.
>>
>time independent s.e.
NOOOOO
i don't have a favorite but stokes' theorem makes me very hard
>>
>>7695402
>timeindependant.png
>independant
>pendant

op ur an idiot
>>
mine is
$i = \sqrt(-1)$
>>
>>7695402

[eqn] K = \left\langle {R\left( {X,Y} \right)Y,X} \right\rangle [/eqn]
>>
>>7695494
reesons y am a fysiks magor nd naught a engrish magor
>>
>>7695489
This. Once I started doing calculus on manifolds/more real analysis, I realized how dope stokes theorem is.
>>
File: img4409.png (35KB, 1020x776px) Image search: [Google]
img4409.png
35KB, 1020x776px
>>7695402

Dirac

> Last great step in quatum before we have to dealve into all the perturbation theory, path integral nonsense.
>>
>>7696472
what is not to like about perturbation theory?
>>
>>7696472
>Last great step in quatum before we have to dealve into all the perturbation theory, path integral nonsense.
>What are nonperturbative theories
>>
>>7696505
Dirac probably considered it "ugly" - personally i think it's very beautiful indeed, but to each his own.
>>
>>7696505
It deeply perturbs me
>>
>>7696505

It's just unsatisfactory to me, a lot of other things in Qfield theory's are as well (renormalization changing infinities to 0 ect...)

> but I except that those are the best methods we have at the moment. Further more all my research depends on them.
>>
File: khJu191.gif (559KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
khJu191.gif
559KB, 200x200px
>>7696472
>mfw math majors say dirac's delta function is not a function
>>
>>7695509

Name?

> or what should I reaserch to learn about it?
>>
>>7696530

I was referring to mainly QM formulations that offer exact solution to a PDE." i.e. "not an expansion in a small parameter.

> The archetypal examples being the hydrongenic atoms and their observables in wave, matrix and Dirac mechanics.

A more formal definitions (and one that I was not reffering to.) would be "a theory which cannot be described using a perturbative expansion". This latter usage typically refers to features of an exact solution that are not present in the perturbative solution (even if it is carried out to all orders).

> found in some fringe gauge theories (Lattice QCD), Qchem, some formulations of LQG (I think) and in CDT.
>>
>>7695485
You're a faggot
>>
>>7696676
Take X,Y to be orthonormal vector fields along some surface element. Then that equation is a statement of the Theorema Egregium.
>>
[eqn] {\mathcal{D}^\upsilon }{\mathcal{D}_\upsilon }{\Psi _{\alpha \beta }} = {\mathcal{T}_{\alpha \beta }} [/eqn]
>>
Heinsenburg's certainty principle because it proves that conciousness has an innate purpose.
>>
>>7698111
My favourite is Godle's incompleteness equation, because it proves there has to exist a god.
>>
fucking autistic fucks
>>
File: 1447705340626.jpg (75KB, 900x750px) Image search: [Google]
1447705340626.jpg
75KB, 900x750px
>>7698449
>equation.jpg
>>
Dunno about equation, but this formula is the crown jewel among formulas
>>
>>7696542
>Dirac probably considered it "ugly"
This is true. He was extremely unhappy with renormalization and other things which he considered "dirty tricks" (not quoting verbatim).

He was unwilling to change his mind even when Feynman was trying to persuade him. But again, he was very old at that stage already, so it wouldn't probably matter.

>>7696593
It's technically not a function, it's what mathematicians (and math majors) call 'distribution'.
>>
>>7695402
Black Scholes equation
>>
>>7695402
The alpha male equation

(alpha male index) = (# of chicks you banged) / (you're age)

Mine is 3.13
>>
>>7697150
>faggot notation
I really hate it
just write [math]\sum[/math]
>>
Cauchy-Schwarz because it's fucking great
>>
>>7698502
kek'd
>>
>>7698511
Holy shit you're a hundred years old?
>>
(x+y)^2 = x^2 + 2xy + y^2
i challenge you to a battle of formulas
my formula is everywhere
it helped me solve my homework yesterday
>>7695402
this is some shit who needs it
>>
>>7698111
How, please post a link
>>
>>7695402
ee to the pie eye plus one equals zero
>>
>>7696472
You can do perturbation without path integrals.

In fact, the original quantum perturbation theory is as old as quantum mechanics itself (Schrödinger in '26). Even in field theory one can do perturbation without path integrals; perturbation theory involves writing the Lagrangian as [math]L_{tot} = L_0 + L[/math], or the Hamiltonian as [math]H_{tot} = H_0 + H[/math]. The former uses path integrals and the latter uses the canonical, operators on Hilbert space formalism.

At the end of the day, Feynman diagrams are just one way of calculating terms in a Taylor expansion of the value you want to calculate (the nth term in the expansion is the sum over all diagrams with n vertices), and the method you use to reach that particular value is irrelevant.
There are even some modern theories that don't make a Taylor expansion at all and skip straight to the final result, like the amplituhedron.
>>
>>7698511
Alpha males are the leaders of their social groups. This has nothing to do with sleeping with women.
>>
>>7698514
Why would I write a sigma?
>>
>>7695485
Aw that's cute. Anon thinks the time dependent would look harder so he picks it to look alpha.

>armchair physicist
>>
>>7696593
It's not. Physicists don't disagree, they just don't give a shit
>>
>>7698482
>It's technically not a function, it's what mathematicians (and math majors) call 'distribution'.
>mfw it can be written as a function
>>
>>7698943
>has nothing to do
Even if we go with your definition, there would be a tremendous correlation between leader of social group and access to pussy
>>
>>7700665
>it can be written as a function
That's a meaningless statement. There are functions that can't even be written down.
>>
>>7695499
i'm sure i'm wrong, but isn't that more of a definition?
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.