[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about this /sci/. I'm telling my friend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: fjghhgf.jpg (50KB, 558x591px) Image search: [Google]
fjghhgf.jpg
50KB, 558x591px
What do you think about this /sci/.

I'm telling my friend that it doesn't feel like it, but the air around you is pushing you so hard from all directions that if you removed the air above you, you would get pushed so hard that you'll fly into space by the air below you.

He says:
"1. theres no air below you"
"2. it's gravity that holds you back on the ground"
"3. air pressure isn't that high pressure"

Who is right?
>>
I think your friend is right. Air pushes you hard but not quite THAT hard I think.
>>
>>7694517
Although what do you mean OP? If you create a big enough vacuum above you then you'll get sucked upward...
>>
>>7694455
Well, if you assume the pressure below acts on an area of 0.1m2, you face a force of about ~100,000N, where gravity only provides ~1,000N for a 100kg person. By removing the air above, you'll experience a net force upwards.

As removing the air above someone is a rather strange scenario, I'm not quite sure if it really could get you to space, but it certainly would lift someone.
>>
According to my terrible calculations, a 100 kg man would be accelerated at atmospheric pressure to 0,05 m2 of surface area at a force of 5000 newtons something like 5-10 g and pass out while being accelerated to terminal velocity. Someone should check my calculations...
>>
>>7694518
Sucked by what? Lol
>>
>>7694563
you're mom lmao
>>
>>7694569
Blowjob jokes aside. A vacuum doesn't suck.
>>
atmospheric pressure is something like 14 psi, force applied will be proportional to the surface area perpendicular to the direction of motion, so if you are laying down, about 10 ft^2 (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=39851). That's 140 lb of force, not enough to lift a 190 lb man.
>>
>>7694455

you did it anon
you discovered the secrets of the universe and interplanetary space travel.
pat yourself on the back
>>
>>7694654
-Please use metric units.
-It's "lying down"
-How did you calculate that amount of force?

1 atmosphere = 1 kg/cm2

Surface area of average man 200 cm2 / 2 (pushing on underside)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_surface_area

100 kg force is enough to lift a man. A fatter man will have more surface area so it will be enough to lift him too.
>>
>>7694455
Can you imagine a giant vaccum to suck you up?

If so, you should also believe obsence of air above you will suck you up too. Because what really "sucks" you is the difference in pressure, and by completely eliminating air there's maximal difference possible.

Thus it will suck you harder orat least as hard as the most powerful human vacuum ever created. (Or designed.)
>>
>>7696139
fuck typos

*absence
*or at
>>
>>7694692
>If A Book Store Never Runs Out Of A Certain Book, Dose That Mean Nobody Reads It, Or Everybody Reads It

Truly Jaden is the most pre-eminent philosopher of our age.
>>
>>7696139
>Can you imagine a giant vaccum to suck you up?
No. I can imagine air pushing me up.
>>
>>7694654
Wait, 10 square feet, or 120 * 12 square inches? Then that's 1440lbs of force, if I understand correctly.
>>
>>7696408
Shit, I dumbed before I finished, it's even more than that. It's 1440 square inches time 14, so 20160lbs.

That seems crazy. But then again air pressure vs vacuum forces people through holes like play dough so I can kinda believe it.
>>
>>7694583
Stop arguing stupid semantics. We all know that. It's a way of describing what's happening.
>>
>>7696849
Nah, you don't all know that.
>>
So, what's the consensus? Who is right?
>>
>>7694455
Pic related OP, show this to your friend.
>>
>>7694455
You're MORE right than he is, but you're still not 100% right. Atmospheric pressure at sea level is enough to lift a human being, but you wouldn't be sucked all the way "into space." Eventually you'd reach an altitude where atmospheric pressure isn't high enough to lift you any higher.
>Human body weighs ~750 N
>Cross section is... let's say .15 m^2
>Pressure required to lift is thus 5 kPa
So you'd only get sucked up to about 20,000 meters altitude, not space.
>>
>>7694583
>Hurr, suction doesn't exist
Fuck off.
>>
>>7697611
They're correct, it doesn't.

>Source
Professional house cleaner for a number of years. Naturally this affords me an authoritative position on the physics of pressure gradients in gases, as well as AC motors.
>>
>>7697602
>Eventually you'd reach an altitude where atmospheric pressure isn't high enough to lift you any higher.
At which point you should have reached delta v.
>>
>>7697622
Not really. The faster you go, the less effective pressure there is to propel you. There's a reason why precharged airguns top out at around mach 1 - that's the fastest speed air can expand at.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.