[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /sci/, I'm on an ether binge and here to answer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: Diethyl-ether-2D-skeletal.png (25KB, 2000x565px) Image search: [Google]
Diethyl-ether-2D-skeletal.png
25KB, 2000x565px
Hello /sci/,

I'm on an ether binge and here to answer any college/organic chem related questions.
>>
>>7692451
recommend me the best book about organic chemistry
>>
>>7692536
not OP but i'll tell you it's organic chemistry by clayden, greeves, warren, wothers

http://www.amazon.ca/Organic-Chemistry-Jonathan-Clayden/dp/0198503466

don't buy from there, find a used copy for like 20 dollars. I'm only a first year chem major, I've read half of it and now I'm pretty ready to destroy my second year.
>>
>>7692542
thanks my man
>>
If I'm indecisive about majoring in bio or chem, is biochem perfect for me?
>>
>>7692556
>>7692556
Also not op but i was in the same boat last year. Pick either bio or chem, take both bio and chem classes, and youll know by the end of your first year for sure. I was certain i was gonna switch into bio because it was my highest grade but i changed my mind when i found out how boring it was.
>>
>>7692556
Not OP, but most likely yes.
>>
Is it true that ether has no negative side effects (besides causing the occasional explosion)? Why can't I walk into a bar and order an ether cocktail if it's so great?
>>
IS CHEMICAL ENGINEERING A GOOD MAJOR? WHAT DO U DO
>>
>>7692655
Tubes
>>
>>7692451
OP can you help

I just added some acetic acid to chemical X to see if the acetic acid would dissolve it.
Instead it bubbled and created a flammable gas.
It seems like chemical X has not reacted, it is still a dark insoluble powder.
Almost acting like a catalyst.

After adding hydrogen peroxide (and extra acid) chemical X is still undissolved.
Chemical X is probably an oxide of copper, but why does it behave like this?
It was made by reacting copper acetate with sodium hydroxide I believe.
>>
OP you fakkin cunt reply damnit
>>
>>7692755
>I just added some acetic acid to chemical X to see if the acetic acid would dissolve it.
>Instead it bubbled and created a flammable gas.

maybe your "X" compound was very hot and brought the acetic acid to a boil?
>>
>>7692850
not the case here, it was room temp
also the watervapor would probably have prevented from it being able to burn
>>
>>7692755
You need to replace the acetic acid with sugar, spice and everything nice.
>>
>>7692899
for the perfect little fuckdolls
>>
>>7692556
biochem major here,
It's good that you like bio and chem for biochem but be careful, because I've seen a lot of people that loved bio and ended up hating biochem because it's very different from a biology major. But if you like molecular biology, chemistry and physics you will probably like biochemistry.
>>
>>7692655
Pipes
>>
>>7692726
>>7693060

these, until you reach masters level it's basically phenomena in pipes: the course. good job prospects, better than any other engineering major in most areas, but it's a fucking boring course.
>>
>>7692451
I got a sample consisting of water, proteins and very fine sand. I need to determine the sand content. Is it possible to remove the ash created by combusting the sample somehow?
I'm thinking dissolving the ash in sulfuric acid. Any other ideas?
>>
>>7694073
Eat it, shit in a beaker, and boil.
>>
>>7694096
I'd prefer a more quantitative solution than that.
>>
>>7694123
1. Fast for 24 hours
2. Heat the sample to remove excess liquid
3. Scrape the sample onto a piece of filter paper
4. Fold the paper up carefully
5. Consume
6. Collect any bowel movement in a beaker
7. Heat the beaker until all liquid has evaporated
8. Scrape remnants onto large tray
9. Repeat steps 6-9 until bowel movements no longer contain any sand
10. Weight contents of tray
>>
>>7693056
>But if you like molecular biology, chemistry and physics you will probably like biochemistry.

not that anon, but actually studying molecular biology (bsc) could not find a biochem bsc so I went for the next best thing, I like chem and physics (almost went for astrophysics)

thanks for your post, it is reassuring, I'll probably end up taking a masters in biochem
>>
>>7695131
can you answer this?
>>
>>7692542
It's a very good introduction but if you're in a good program be prepared to look for other books on more specific topics.
>>
>>7693112
don't forget thermodynamics
>>
i just posted: but you might be able to help. what are the functional groups and bonds in PMMA which make it identifiable via FTIR?
>>
>>7692601
>Why can't I walk into a bar and order an ether cocktail if it's so great?
the Jihad on drugs
>>
>>7695807
What's ether like?
>>
how are sphingolipid head groups in the outer leaflet of the cell membrane better adapted to thrive in the extracellular compartment when compared to glycerophospholipids?
>>
>>7692451

studying ethers and epoxides right now for my orgo 1 final in 2 weeks
>>
>>7692451

Can you give me any pointers in identifying a structure on its spectra?
>>
>>7695820
Haven't tried it famtbh. never had more than a mild interest in it and don't really want to steal reagents from our lab for obvious reasons.

From what I've read it's a CNS suppressant with effects milder than alcohol at similar doses and apparently also has more bearable hangovers.

It also decomposes to form organic peroxides when exposed to light and air but I don't think these are an issue when Ingesting the stuff
>>
File: 161px-Nicotine.svg.png (5KB, 161x135px) Image search: [Google]
161px-Nicotine.svg.png
5KB, 161x135px
Is Pharmacy a good choice if you love Organic Chemistry?
>>
>>7696429
Can't really tell, cause I study chemistry
But as far as I saw pharmacy is pretty much in between biology and chemistry.
I know that pharmacy students have analytical and organic chemistry alot and a bit physical chemistry.
Later on they have biochemistry and some pharma lectures that seem quite organic chemistry/molecular biology like.
Why not go to the office of the university and ask someone. Mostly there is some secretary that can answer all your questions.
>>
>>7692451
Are you into total organic synthesis?
>>
>>7692542
>I'm only a first year chem major

This is what I love about /sci
Here's a 19 year old kid that isn't even yet half-way through his freshmen general chemistry course.
He comes across his first organic chemistry text that he's even seen and now thinks that he's an expert on organic text books.
baka
>>
Figured I'd ask here.

I've never performed a vaccuum distillation, and won't need to for another several months. I know it's kind of a vital skill though, like running a column, so any suggestions on cheap materials I can practice with? What scale should I run on, what yields can I expect, general tips
>>
>>7692556
Biochem and molecular bio major here. It's awesome. It's mostly a chemistry major with a focus on biological chemistry -- although my Uni requires that I complete a bio major with it (which wasn't difficult at all). The applied math is very elegant and fun and the study is great as a whole. Physical chemistry and physical biochemistry really piqued my interest. Don't think I could study anything else -- I'd definitely give it a go if you like the two fields. Also my uni makes biochem majors take two major's physics courses and it sparked enough physics intrigue in my that I'm minoring in it.

You really get a total picture of the natural sciences with biochem.
>>
>>7698799
It depends on the setting. If you're doing it in a lab for a class, like o-chem 2 (which is when I was introduced to it), just follow the protocol and you'll be okay. Otherwise, brush up on your physical chem. You'll need to have your partial vapor pressure relationships worked out for solutions to maximize purity and yield, etc. It depends on your solutions too, but some have some off molecular packing behaviors which can fuck up your yield/purity as well.

What are you planning on working with? Also if you have access to an open lab, talk to a lab adviser and go in and dick around a bit with some organic solutions.
>>
>>7698811
I'm planning on working with small organic molecules for my research, usually oils at room temp. Solvent distillation doesn't worry me as much since it's bulk and fluid, but I'm worried about how more viscous materials would condense, especially in less than gram amounts. Is this a reasonable replacement for columns?
>>
>>7692451
The skeletal structure of diethyl ether makes for an appropriate face for someone binging on it, it seems.
>>
Where do I go with physical chemistry?
>>
OP i have questions about ether

did you use reagent grade ether that you stole from your lab or did you buy it in a hardware store?

how does ether feel? how does it compare to common drugs?

what are the (negative) side effects of ether consumption? will it cause any long-term damage?
>>
I'm taking the ACS Ochem test on Tuesday. How is it?
>>
>>7699029
>e do I go with physical chemistry?
nerd
>>
>>7692451
What does your body use for energy yo fire neurons in the brain
>>
Will minoring in CS be of any use to me as a biochemistry bsc?
>>
>>7692451
How does one make LSD?
>>
>>7698339
Dude it's a book recommendation, I didn't claim I was smarter than anyone. I had that book recommended to me, and I found it easy to digest. go quibble about 19 year olds who claim to be experts on general relativity.
>>
>>7692556
are there a good amount of jobs available for biochem? i've heard its not looking good, but it seems like it should be good considering the world we live in
>>
>>7692542
Can vouch for this, it's what was recommended to me at my university and is the best one in my opinion.
>>
>>7699029
To the asylum.
>>
>>7692451
That op is how you draw a bird.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.