[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Professor openly admits that his IQ is just 102 >can speak

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: you didnt make that.jpg (58KB, 389x291px) Image search: [Google]
you didnt make that.jpg
58KB, 389x291px
>Professor openly admits that his IQ is just 102
>can speak 5 languages
>holds a master's degree in Aerospace engineering
>says he ins't really that smart, but says he can remember a lot of material in a short period of time
So is this how I git gud /sci/? Is the key to academic/scholarly success not a high IQ, but a really good memory?
>>
Maybe he just doesn't like the common misconception people have that IQ is everything and he lied so his students didn't feel that way.
>>
>>7692155
But everyone knows IQ is everything
>>
>>7692149
the key is hard work and a can-do attitude
>>
>>7692149
Except a 102 is average

You guys have to realize that an IQ is a score of potentiality. The average person can do quite a bit, it's mostly just wasted potential though that makes us think otherwise.

It's entirely possible that someone with a median IQ could be more successful than someone on the higher end.

Work ethic and motivation are key factors.
>>
>>7692149
Referring to an IQ without the test it came from is idiotic

Storing lots of information is literally indicative of high IQ

Like the first reply says he's bullshitting the students for some agenda
>>
>>7692160
>everyone on /sci/
>>
>Professor broadcasts his IQ to anyone listening
Yep, he's of middling intelligence, all right.
>>
>>7692149
He probably does have a high IQ, but just lying about his real score to make his retarded students work harder/ not feel bad about themselves.
>>
>>7692177
>Storing lots of information is literally indicative of high IQ
No, it's an indicative of good memory. Indicative of high IQ would be dealing with lots of information in a short period of time.
>>
>>7692195
Thank you
>>
>>7692149
he could have had 3 hours of sleep before the test

the number doesn't really matter, it's a lot about test-taking ability too

but IQ certainly matters and it's obvious he has a good amount of that

"hard work" meme is stupid because some people cannot ever learn complex shit, they don't have the capability or the necessary motivation, they aren't fascinated by complexity
>>
>>7692210
it's both

barring shit like autism, if you can store a shitload of information, you also can process it quickly

I swear 99% of the fags who talk about IQ and its relevance over here haven't ever read any books on the subject
>>
>>7692210
You're right. I usually treat people with one mental strength as having all of them in the same ballpark, but it's wrong. There are people with freakish memories but that's all it is
>>
>>7692149
>IQ is just 102
>master's degree in engineering
I don't see anything strange or unusual.
>>
>>7692149
>Professor openly admits that his IQ is just 102
>holds a master's degree in Aerospace engineering
I'm sure this is true
>>
>>7692149
IQ doesn't mean anything anon.. It's just another norm-reference intelligence estimate test. It doesn't really mean anything.
>>
>>7692204
This.
>>
So what?
IQ doesn't say shit about your actual intellect or your knowledge, it's just the result of a meaningless test.
Everyone bragging about a high IQ is mostly a retarded pleb anyways, I also only have an average IQ of exactly 100 and was the best kid in math at my school
>>
>>7692149
>>can speak 5 languages
>>holds a master's degree in Aerospace engineering
That you cite these as indicators of high intelligence proves that indeed both your professor and yourself have sub-110 IQ's and will never amount to anything

>>7692398
this
>>
>>7693019
So you went to a school of legitimate retards?
>>
>>7693027
Anyone that can speak more than 2 languages and have a degree in Engineering is pretty damn smart anonymous.
>>
>>7693033
In Algeria they speak 2 national languages.
Does that make them smarter on average than Americans who only speak English?
>>
>>7693036
Its different when you are born in a nation that has two language that are dominant. OP's professor most likely learned all those languages when he was an adult, which is no easy task.
>>
>>7693032
le edgy bait trololol :^)
>>
>>7692352
However, it's usually not wrong. That's why IQ works at all - because all these different mental strengths seem to correlate, we can statistically infer a supposed "general factor of intelligence", and be reasonably sure that other tests of mental ability will probably correlate with it.

What people often don't get is that at the tails, actual intellectual achievement is dependent more on persistence and dedication than IQ alone.
>>
>>7692344
Funny, I wanted to dispute that, but it actually makes perfect sense on a neurological level.
Fast learning would mean you could quickly form useful neural connections, and fast thinking would mean you've got neural connections to use.
>>
Hard work is the key to anything. Any achievement is mostly hard work and a little bit of talent.
>>
>>7693036
If your kid doesn't kill the cat first, it is very possible that they can pick up 5 languages, but they will probably hate you except they're autistic. Start with three and make sure your kid grows with the diversity of language in your household even if that means you need to learn the language with him.

German English and Spanish is a good mix, anyone who tells you about mandarin is a shill who knows jack shit about statistics.
>>
>>7693073
Depends on your area of study. You can bullshit yourself through some paths and settle down. Financial advisor and company administrator comes to mind.
>>
>>7692398
this

I'd be even more skeptical if it were an applied math or physics degree
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 640x1136px
Theres lots of subjects that dont require high iq. History/englis/communications- anything language based does not require a baseline iq like eng (120) or math or physics (150 to contribute to the field).
Source- i have a 140 and spend alot of time listening to ppl talk about necessary iq on physics forums
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 620x387px
Yesterday i posted this - "I just heard hillary say "the majority of the people voting for me are women" as if that wasnt a catastophic indictment of why she is popular.
The idiots in the audience cheered (obviously they would>> they are too dumb to see it either)
Would donald trump be stupid enough to brag about most of his voters being men?
Lol"

To which a person replied

"That's actually smart. She's attacking the wives of conservative families here. She doesn't need to apply to the males in her base; Democrats don't split their vote in large numbers. Nader got like 3% of the vote and we still haven't stopped hearing about that shit.
She has a legitimate inroads on female moderates and females who are somewhat conservative. By making her cause the feminist cause she can get votes that her policies haven't earned.
That's good politicking. YOUR IQ is room temperature for not being able to understand this."

My response- You remind me of this shakepeare prof i had in summer school uni that tried to read into the issues more than was actually there in skakespeares mind. You are a typical english/politics/communications type major, judging by your nack at twisting and contorming language to make you appear competent/intelligent when in fact you are speaking nonsense. You failed physics and you couldnt engineer something to save your life. Thus you dont have REAL intelligence. I was a physics/science prodigy so i have the ability to cut straight to the crux/big picture>> the big picture in this case being that a female voter bragging about female voters is the same as a male voter bragging about male voters. Thats how the world actually works>>> the world obeys science>>> the inferiors of this world who cant understand science think it follows politics.
Its the same with paul krugman economics vs marc faber austrian economics. Occam is on fabers side, and rightly so.
Krugman is an autistic lib-philosopher. And i say that as a princeton graduate.
Cheers matey!
>>
Where did you guy tested your IQ ?
>>
One of the major factors that IQ tests measure are speed. If you are slow, your IQ is lower.

Which makes sense in a way, if one person can come to the same answer faster that person is "smarter". But broadly speaking there are many human intellectual activities which don't require much swiftness at all.
>>
>>7692149
and thats why hes a professor and not a practicing scientist. bachelors and masters = memorizing. any one can do it. he's literally a repeating/regurgitating machine aka a professor. learning a language doesnt require complex critical thinking skills, it requires memorization. if he was truly intelligent he would be discovering, not regurgitating what is known. op, if you had a high iq, you would have thought of this 1 second after him saying that. i thought of that 1 second after i finished reading your post.
>>
>>7693083
Why are you teaching your kid three languages that use the same characters?

It'd be better to introduce them to languages with unique alphabets. It'd be easier to add onto later with similar languages.

English, Russian, Arabic, Mandarin, etc
>>
It's an awkward attempt at gaining an emotional connection with the females in the audience. He's likely hoping at least one female student with a subpar IQ would bone him for an A, in the hope that she might feel that he would "understand." What he did was a typical White Cis Male microaggression. Report him for this.
>>
>>7693383
Generally, in order for professors to get tenure, they have to be very active in their field of research.
>>
102 is above average.
>>
File: meme.jpg (47KB, 563x730px) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
47KB, 563x730px
>>7692149
Nice lie to motivate students.
>>
>>7695023
Its actually average. OP's professor isn't anything special. 102 the average IQ of most people who arent retarded.
>>
>>7693383
Learn the difference between "instructor", "lecturer", and "professor".
>>
>>7695538
What are the differences?
>>
>>7696553
A professor either has tenure or is on-track to have it.

A lecturer doesn't have tenure and isn't on track for it, but has a position (unlike an adjunct).

In a few contexts an "instructor" can be anyone teaching a full class (i.e., not a TA), but it usually refers to a grad TF, an adjunct, or (rarely) a postdoc tasked with teaching the class.

An adjunct is an instructor hired on a semester-by-semester basis, usually with low pay and few if any benefits.
>>
>>7693322
>tfw only 145 iq and therefore incapable of contributing to physics
>>
The large majority of IQ tests I've seen have been mostly, if not completely, questions on pattern recognition.

You have to be a top-tier dunce to think being able to solve what comes next in the sequence? "\ | / ???" has any meaningful correlation to academic success.
>>
File: 1448414968202.png (220KB, 347x440px) Image search: [Google]
1448414968202.png
220KB, 347x440px
>>7693322
>this is what STEM/iq fags actually believe
>>
>>7692149
Beware of anyone who speaks 5 languages. Be very careful. The energy they spent learning 5 languages detracts from the energy required to learn about what they claim to be experts in. They tell people they speak 5 languages because they want people to think they're smart. The last person I met who said she spoke 5 languages was a for real psychopath; avoid psychopaths if you can or they'll ruin your life.
>>
>>7692149
In my experience this is true. Those with a better working memory can see and focus on more of the problem considering more things concurrently.

This is very relevant in software where a coder constantly has to keep track of or maintain state.
I develop software and score in the 99 percentile for memory on Lumosity.
>>
You can brute force your way through engineering if you have the time.

You know why there are stupid people that are successful? They just work and work and work until they find something thats successful and are at least smart enough to see the diamond in the rough. Then they hire you to make the project happen.
>>
You'd have to be real fucking thick to think you need to be "extremely" smart to get your phd.
I wouldn't throw my weight behind a TOTAL moron, but the bar would be pretty low. Shrubuya has a bachelors, so did that guy from Duck Dynasty with the beard down to his dick.
>>
So 2 things (iq and degree) that have very weak (or none) connection to reality and no connection to each other whatsoever somehow met in one man, what a rare thing indeed.
Do something useful instead of wildguessing about abstract things which are usually nothing more than bureaucracy.
>>
>>7693376
That's not true. In the typical adult intelligence test (WAIS), four out of ten subtests include time limits. Out of those, in only one subtest does fast problem solving yield more points = high IQ.
>>
>>7693383
>if he was truly intelligent he would be discovering, not regurgitating what is known
I don't fully disagree with you, but making science includes more "regurgitating what is known" than what you think.
>>
>>7693376
Time limits are implicitly testing your speed, dummy. If you can't finish all the questions in time, your score will be lower.
>>
>>7692149
Yes
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.