[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /sci/entists Has anybody had any success convincing others

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: Climate Change.jpg (65KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Climate Change.jpg
65KB, 600x800px
Alright /sci/entists
Has anybody had any success convincing others about climate change? My dad was just watching something on Fox News about it, and I got into a big argument with him. What's the best evidence to show them? I didn't have any statistics to hand.

He's a computer programmer, and he has some engineering background, so he's not stupid. I feel like I just need to show him the right evidence. Any thoughts?
>>
>>7691372
People believe what they want to believe brah
>>
>>7691372
Well firstly inform him that the carbon we release (not from breathing, but from industrial and commercial activities) is different from the carbon released from nature, such as by breathing, eruptions, etc.
>>
>>7691372
also inform him that no species has ever disappeared because of how it lived in its environment. Only species that do not adapt are doomed.

However humans are trying to control their environment rather than adapting to its changes.
>>
>>7691372
The first. But those activists are being duped because they're naive and quite frankly gullible.
>>
reminder that the reason you cant take an oil company to court over climate change is because the theory has reasonable doubt
>>
>>7691372
Climate change is real. What its effects will be and its full causes can be argued.

But no one denies the change is happening.

Simply ask him these series of questions;
If humans are making the largest environmental changes in history to its surroundings wouldn't these massive changes produce effects?
If changes by overproduction of pollutants can be seen in Beijing, early industrial London, many industrial cities in the third world and is undoubtedly caused and furthered by the pollutants as the main factor than why argue that large scale storage of these same pollutants in the atmosphere causing changes is far fetched?
Simply put, if a change is expected to occur due to these circumstances and the results we'd expect to see from the hypothesis of climate change is occurring then why is it so out there to claim further changes can occur if these actions pass certain points?

No one denies pollution affects environments, no one denies humans have a huge impact to changing the world itself on levels unlike any other. Then why does it seem bullshit to say increasing pollution can create increasing effects?
>>
My personal favorite is that if insurance companies do not account for global warming in their risk assessments, they lose money. Other than that, there is the fact that we shit out a bunch of greenhouse gases. Most people argue that the climate is so big that our total foot print must be tiny while ignoring that large and complex is not the equivalent of robust and resilient and that if the system is fragile, tiny changes can have rather large effects (see any unstable equilibrium in a physical system).
>>
>>7691417
>Reminder that OJ had reasonable doubt at one point
>>
>>7691410
>inform him that no species has ever disappeared because of how it lived in its environment
bitches don't know bout methanogens
>>
>>7691417
Reminder that this guy has no idea what he's talking about.
>>
>>7691385
nigga
>>
File: pepe5.jpg (18KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
pepe5.jpg
18KB, 251x242px
>>7691385
>>
>>7691471
The most annoying argument he makes is something along those lines. He literally thinks that humans haven't damaged the environment at all.
>>
File: 4254681996_27b1ed7ff0.jpg (115KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
4254681996_27b1ed7ff0.jpg
115KB, 500x333px
>>7691548
He might not necessarily be wrong. There is a lot of evidence in the other direction, also.

Humankind's natural carbon footprint is relatively small compared to the total amount of all wildlife living everywhere. Especially the rainforest.
Not only that, but we see historical cycles of drastic hot/cold in relation to solar activity, not just as a recent trend.

I'm not saying that I disbelieve manmade climate change. Just saying that writing off the opposition as asinine or lacking evidence is just as stupid.
Pic related is my main argument.
>>
>>7691563
You are ignoring the primary issue with global warming. The problem is not that the planet is getting warmer: it has been much warmer and much colder in the past. The problem is the rate of heating is unprecedented.

As for the size of our carbon footprint, it has grown quite drastically with no give and take from other climactic cycles. Nothing has had the chance to develop to compensate for this new source and thus the balance has been lost and we see things like rapid ocean acidification as a result.
>>
>>7691372
Bruh...
>>
>>7691563
>Pic related is my main argumen
Worst argument because green lobbying is actively damaging to both the economy and the local ecosystems (ALL it's good for is lowering green house emissions).

You are starving people and animals alike based on an empirical model.
>>
>>7692046
Explain please
>>
>>7692040
:^)
>>
>>7691543
>>7691544
>leave it to 4chan to understand things
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11638-climate-myths-human-co2-emissions-are-too-tiny-to-matter/

http://www.ei.lehigh.edu/learners/cc/pdf/CarbonCycle_PrintVersion.pdf

https://www.skepticalscience.com/human-co2-smaller-than-natural-emissions-intermediate.htm
>>
File: Miami_high_tide.jpg (386KB, 720x578px) Image search: [Google]
Miami_high_tide.jpg
386KB, 720x578px
>>7692046
>You are starving people and animals alike based on an empirical model.

They're all just thralls to big pump.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article41141856.html

http://www.app.com/story/news/local/land-environment/enviroguy/2015/11/24/residents-resist-tidal-flooding-increasing-threat-jersey-shore/75893620/
>>
>>7691383
Hi there flemeth.
>>
>>7693576
>"There has been a rise of about 10 inches in sea levels since the 19th century
And somehow this magical 10 inches is responsible for giant flooding?
Fucking liberals, they prove themselves wrong in their own articles, blathering about ~climate change~ when it has nothing to do with it.

>Build on flood plains
>Build on land created by dumping dirt/sand into the ocean
>That land sinks when millions of tons of material are placed on top of it
>Oh my god we're being flooded!
>>
>>7691372
>I got into a big argument with him.
>What's the best evidence to show them?
Please die. You should not be arguing about shit you don't know anything about you fucking moron.
>>
>>7691372
the problem with climate change is that proponents of the idea make it seem like climate change will destroy the world in 50 years. climate change will most likely occur at a rate where we will have the technology to actively counter it when it starts to get noticeable.
>>
Ask him the consequences of him being wrong verse the consequences of global warming being wrong.
>>
>>7694019
Lol, nice. Except I don't think I ever heard Flemeth say "bruh".
>>
>>7694678
Do you even relize how much free water it takes to raise EVERY FUCKING OCEAN IN THE WORLD by ten fucking inches? Now, if you know how evaporation and precipitation work, which you should have learned in elementary school, is it that hard a mental leap to realize that creates a lot more rain in places where it usually rains?
>>
I'm seeing a pattern here. Last week, it was all about the flat earth threads. This week, it's climate change denying. Trolls from /pol/ should try to be less obvious.
>>
>>7694712
>to realize that creates a lot more rain in places where it usually rains?
How does this make any sense at all?

I don't believe in the 10 inch raise either.
>>
>>7694733
>I don't believe in the 10 inch raise either.
if you don't like the evidence, just don't believe in evidence!
>>
>>7691372
What if the scientists all have jobs at colleges and centers where the owners have political agendas?
>>
Throughout history climate changed enormously, from wet green land it turned into land of ice, then again into something else, and again and again, with no human impact at all, why now average temperature changing by fucking 2 degrees is said to be a disaster?
>>
Aaron Swartz was stealing those MIT sourced documents to show that they were skewing statistic toward climate change
>>
>>7691372
>Has anybody had any success convincing others about climate change?
>I didn't have any statistics to hand.

So you're no better than an opinionated faglord that uses your emotions as an argument. Good job, I hope your father kicks you out.
>>
>>7691372
>He's a computer programmer, and he has some engineering background, so he's not stupid.

He's not wrong either. The stupid and wrong one is you that are an uneducated nobody and easily impressionable by bleeding heart media and their shallow arguments and lies.

You refuse to think you could be wrong yet you're certain your father is wrong. If you were intelligent you'd join his camp but this is clearly not the case. If you had any common sense you'd just shut the fuck and let time decide the victor and preserve family peace, but clearly this isn't the case either because you're an obnoxious and ungrateful little shitkid that cannot tolerate any opinion that disagrees with your own(and yes, your belief in climate science is just a strong opinion, or faith if you will).
>>
>>7696450
Aaron Swartz killed himself because he realized he was wrong and CO2 have saved us from an ice age. Unable to come to terms with his consciousness over his attempted betrayal of mankind he took responsibility for his vile actions in the only acceptable way.
>>
>>7691372
Sounds like you are in High School OP. I'm guessing your dad is probably 50x smarter than you.
Just give up and listen to what he has to teach you.

You're an idiot, it's okay. We all are at that age.
>>
>>7691548
Get him to do a back of the envelope calculation about CO2 output from fossil fuel burning over the last 100 years and compare it to the total volume of CO2 in the atmosphere.
>>
>>7694693
Probably, yeah. The worrying thing is unpredictable runaway effects. One of the previous great extinctions was caused by a couple degrees of warming in the oceans setting off a chain of die offs.

For example, 5% of the coral reefs died this year. They're where a lot of shallow water fish spawn. Half of the fish species are already gone in the last decade.

We might be fine, but I want to have more to eat than fucking cricket flour when I'm old.
>>
>>7694892
The global temperature has been 2 degrees lower too, but think about this; last time it was 2 degrees lower there was an ice-age covering over half of Europe and North America.
>>
>>7696753
Not this shit again
>>
>>7691410
>no species has ever disappeared because of how it lived in its environment
that is completely false
>humans are trying to control their environment rather than adapting to its changes
that is completely irrelevant to the issue at hand
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.