[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Over the course of my life I want to piece together a laboratory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

Over the course of my life I want to piece together a laboratory just for the hell of it.

What should I include?
>>
File: 1447515794869.jpg (18KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1447515794869.jpg
18KB, 403x403px
me employed there

>tfw physics
>tfw no jobs
>>
I'm thinking an organic chemistry fractional distillation set.
Beakers, flasks, test tubs
Cleaning equipment for everything.
A microscope.
I also want an astronomers telescope.

How critical is a centrifuge?
>>
File: Teacup-Merry-Go-round-301-146-Z.jpg (104KB, 598x409px) Image search: [Google]
Teacup-Merry-Go-round-301-146-Z.jpg
104KB, 598x409px
>>7690485
You don't need a centrifuge if you live near a park.
>>
>>7690461
>Over the course of my life I want o piece together a laboratory

>Be pure mathematics student
>Have in my bedroom a small whiteboard with a set of markers and eraser
>That's my lab.

Being a mathematician* sure is easy m8. This just cost like 30 dollars.

*not a mathematician... yet.
>>
>>7690498
>children's dna shows up in sample
>>
what kind of lab? physics? chem? bio?
>>
ASTRONOMY LAB
>S
T
>R
O
>N
O
>M
Y
>LAB
A
>B
>>
>>7690567
organic chemistry

I want to be able to follow repeatable experiments just to observe with my own eyes how elements interact with each other.

But also I'd like to have at least the bare essentials so I can do experiments in other fields as well.

It's so gratifying to me to reproduce scientific discoveries so that the knowledge in my head goes from "scientists have said" to "I have seen that"
>>
>>7690578
you're going to hurt yourself.

you need a fume hood. even a makeshift one that throws all the deadly gas you dont want to breathe into the air will cause a hazard for everyone in your vicinity/the environment. yo would almost inevitably be found out and probably heavily fined or your equipment seized. maybe even face time depending on what you are making. it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to install a fume hood with clean emissions technology in your home. believe me, i want to make a lab but i cant. it sucks.
>>
>>7690642
fuck off with your defeatism
>>
>>7690647
ok? there's a reason people dont do this. if you want to do chemistry then go to school for it or get a job in your field. that's easier said than done obviously, but they have the materials you are looking for.

theres a reason people dont do this normally. it costs a lot of money and generally nobody wants to be fucking with chemicals where they eat/sleep/relax etc.

If OP wants to do some simple experiments, he should do extensive research - like any professional does - on the safety hazards associated. then buy what you need and do your experiment if it isnt going to spread a gas phase halogen as a byproduct in your home. Then when your are done you will have a collection of glassware you can keep adding to and find other safe experiments to use it all with.
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-School-Bus-Chemistry-Lab/dp/B004OYYAUE

Just buy this so you won't kill yourself breathing cancer fumes. Besides, buying a fuckton of solvents and glassware will only get you on DEA watchlist.
>>
>>7690668
I have a lot of disposable income and I said "over the course of my life" so I can budget for things.

I just wanted to get a thread going about lab equipment. Yes that includes safety equipment.

I just hate the whole "you're going to hurt yourself" attitude people get whenever you want to do things yourself. Of course I'd be careful, that goes without saying. I'm a grown ass man.
>>
>>7690669
>will only get you on DEA watchlist.
why would I give a fuck? I'm not going to be making drugs.
>>
>>7690461
Pseudophedrine and ammonia for sure.
>>
>>7690674
Nigga, get the fucking fume hood. It will look cool, you can post it on Reddit for some major up votes, and if you have all that disposable income then go for it. Maybe you don't need a clean emissions thing, idk, but nobody is going to turn a blind eye to you building a chem lab in your basement. I'm just warning you that I don't see this ending well.
>>
>>7690697
Well that's fucked up that they are so worried about a person armed with science.

I've built tons of things of questionable nature already just to see if I could. It's my main hobby.
>>
>>7690697
>>7690701
And I looked online for fume hoods, they aren't that expensive. And for what they are, they are worth it.
>>
File: fumehoods.png (129KB, 373x591px) Image search: [Google]
fumehoods.png
129KB, 373x591px
>>7690703
Gotta say, was surprised how cheap they actually were from just one quick google search. Sure you could probably pick one up second hand for even less.
>>
>>7690647
How's high school treating you?
>>
First you should become rich. Because reagents are hella expensive.
>>
>>7690701
>Well that's fucked up that they are so worried about a person armed with science.

most of these DIY home labs end up being clandestine drug labs. when you buy lab equipment, you're prabably gonna end up on some DEA watchlist, and they'll start poking and pestering you with a bunch of safety regulations and legal restrictions you have to observe.

other than that, the people here telling you "dont do this its dangerous" arent just saying that to kill your fun and be mean. the shit you're going to do with a lab IS dangerous for you and others, and unless you're a trained professional, you're probably going to miss some simple precautions and end up setting fire to your house, having a beaker explode in your face, or leak toxic gas into the room.
>>
OP be honest are you trying to create a weapon? An Organic Chem lab in a private residence will get the attention of Homeland Security, FBI, ATF, and DOD bioweapon division. I'm sure there are clandestine labs in the US held by private individuals but the amount of people who buy the equipment are very low. So your name get put on a list of the people who bought those equipment. Also getting the chemicals is extremely difficult. You have to apply for a lot of permits and sign a lot of federal documents. There is a reason why corporations who have state of the art labs have sophisticated supply chain and legal teams to purchase these materials. If this was a virology lab it made have been easier. Getting viruses or manipulated them is easier than your lab. An engineering lab is cheaper as well. For engineering it will run you less than 10k.
>>
>>7690461
fuck that guy has many pipettes
>>
Fume hood first.
>>
DNA testing supplies so you can seek out vigilante justice against the people who killed your parents.
>>
depending on how much biology you want to do the most versatile centrifuge (which is pretty essential) would probably be a 4000rpm machine for 2mil epindorf tubes.
>>
>>7690461

vortex genie

http://www.scientificindustries.com/images/vg2-withvideo.jpg
>>
>>7691893

probable shares bench with other labrats
>>
>>7690461
>Name it the Future Gadget lab
>make phone microwave
>send d-mails
>make time machine
>???
>profit
>>
>>7690485
Centrifuge is not essential, but will save you FUCK TONS of time. As in 2 days waiting done in 20 seconds.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.