[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>dream about being a writer >start reading the rules of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1412723237498.gif (1MB, 375x283px) Image search: [Google]
1412723237498.gif
1MB, 375x283px
>dream about being a writer
>start reading the rules of storytelling, stuff like lajos egri (drama writing), robert mckee, figures of speech, poetry metrics, spanish grammar (my native language), TTC courses of creative writing.
>Read stuff like 36 plots and hero's journey
>I even browse fucking TV tropes.
>plan on going to a taco shitty college to study literature (licenciature)

>mfw /lit/ dissmisses my arguments as to why literature and writing can be objectively analized in terms of technique
>mfw they see me as a weirdo because I wanna study literature and analize it using the scientific method
>mfw some uses the "literature and writing has no rules" argument
>/sci/ will never know the pain of trying to argue why a story can be good or bad in objective terms using some basic scientific approach and get told I'm a retard because is about feeling it
>mfw I just want to approach storytelling and writing as if it were a science

I know my taco english suck, pls no bully.
>>
File: book-hero.jpg (51KB, 595x335px) Image search: [Google]
book-hero.jpg
51KB, 595x335px
>>7687637
Natural Language Processing in computer science is about that. Except they go into it at a very granular level. They try to capture patterns, statistical or compositional, in language by breaking it down. It doesn't get us far enough to start reasoning about high level abstract rules in writing.

But... I agree with you. Discipline should be enforced with your writing. Your story and plot should be structured, but the way you communicate it might have to be less stringent. If you're communicating a plot to others, you must relay that information in ways people are expecting or used to,
>>
>>7687638
I learned basic programming using java and I think story generation is quite interesting.

But my current idea would be like approaching in terms of analizing plot structures, and seeing stuff like tropes and how they relate to produce the stories we see.

I wanna approach it like how music theory does it, with it's use of patterns (tropes, scenes).

I even see a story like a some kind of musical score where each instrument (character) plays a pattern/melody/phrase (trope).
>>
>>7687637
>analized
You have been spending too much time on web sites of ill repute.
>>
>>7687637
I was drawn initially to Wildlife Biology before I realized I needed to switch to mathematics. Believe me, I know your pain.
>>
>>7687637
Pursue your dreams Anon, soar like an eagle!
>>
>>7687638
>If you're communicating a plot to others, you must relay that information in ways people are expecting or used to,
>must
You're not a big fan of experimentation are you?
>>
>>7687637
you can write an average story easily using just basic forms and tropes

the great ones creatively subvert some of them or invent new ones, and that is pretty much impossible to extrapolate

take a look at Joyce for example and the techniques he invented. have fun "scientfically" analizing that shit
>>
>>7687637
you haven't discovered some analytic method for doing literature, and this is not innovative or even decent. "even browsing TV tropes" really gives you off as the worst kind of wikipedia-scientists, only you're not even a scientist I guess
>>
>>7687637
Your friends in lit are right.
>>
>>7687637
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP3c1h8v2ZQ
>>
>>7687637
Going about the tv tropes forums, they do make an approach of mixing, adding and so on with said tropes in a way that makes me think of math.

It has its merits, like the simplicity and common grounds tropers have which quickly spread through the web. But it has limits, and certainly leaves much to be desired.

My favorite example is the paupacity of the page about Invisible Cities (my favorite book), which fails to transmit what the book is like through tropes. The page itself admits it.

I'm not fond of approaching writing as a science, speacially given how important one's unique life experience and idiosyncrasy are to his writing.

But if you want to try it, I see potential in starting from stock characters, genres, archetypes (Jung's are quite universal cultural-wise), and perhaps working out as such elements interact, using group dynamics, social psychology and so on.

Honestly, I'm not sure, those are just my two cents.

(Is your primary languese portuguese by any chance? Porque daĆ­ podemos falar melhor, sabe?)
>>
>>7689115
>taco
>portuguese
It's spanish bro.
>>
File: hu3hu3hu31.jpg (129KB, 679x675px) Image search: [Google]
hu3hu3hu31.jpg
129KB, 679x675px
>>7689210
Oh. Is taco some slang for spanish?

I'm brazilian, I have no idea.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.