[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't electrical appliances have two sockets in order

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: makessense.png (11KB, 946x540px) Image search: [Google]
makessense.png
11KB, 946x540px
Why don't electrical appliances have two sockets in order to create a circuit?
like pic related
>>
File: SpirePAT plug.jpg (11KB, 415x512px) Image search: [Google]
SpirePAT plug.jpg
11KB, 415x512px
>>7686272
Is this bait?
>>
>>7686272
A single socket already creates a circuit. The input and output wires are contained within one cable, this is why sockets have two prongs (and sometimes a third for grounding).
>>
File: yw.jpg (13KB, 255x263px) Image search: [Google]
yw.jpg
13KB, 255x263px
>>7686272
>bundle the wires
>put the sockets closer togheter (pic related)
>>
>>7686274
>>7686285
>>7686288
But with OP's design it has double the durability. What if you accidentally run over a cord with a lawn mower in the current standard? No electricity straight away. In OP's double-cord design, it would keep running even if one of the cords was cut (it's very unlikely both cords would be cut)
>>
File: Danmark.jpg (64KB, 600x405px) Image search: [Google]
Danmark.jpg
64KB, 600x405px
>>7686288
>French socket
>Not Danish socket
Why do you hate smiles?
>>
>>7686274
Why do they fuse the plug?
Makes more sense to fuse the outlet via a common fuse board
>>
>>7686302
Because a cord/appliance is easily replaceable. To replace the fuse within an outlet would be a hassle (and potentially dangerous for people who didn't know what they were doing)
>>
>His country's sockets lack a ground pin
>>
>>7686304
You misunderstand.
In my country you have a panel somewhere in the house with lots of circuit breakers. If one pops you reset it.
I don't think everyday people should be tempted to open electrical plugs and play around. Most here are molded one piece, not serviceable
>>
>>7686309
Oh, I think I understand you. We have the same thing here.

I think to answer your question (don't quote me on this) when dealing with high voltage electricity, when you switch it on/off it can for a very very brief moment cause a large spike. It usually doesn't affect stuff, but on the chance that it does the fuse protects the appliance.

Or something like that, it was years ago I read about it.
>>
>>7686314
I think the plug in question is British.
Just never understood why they do it since the circuit is fused at the fuse board which these days usually includes an RCD
>>
>>7686298
>In OP's double-cord design, it would keep running even if one of the cords was cut (it's very unlikely both cords would be cut)
Retard, it wont, You'd need both cords.
>>
>>7686343

They both work as normal, you just have two to make it more powerful, it will just run at a reduced rate after cutting one
>>
>>7686302
shitty british overengineering
>>
>>7686298
hence they invented ac/dc
>>
>>7686327
>>7686302

most british house who used the british plug didn't have a central fuse board at the time. it was a lot cheaper to just place a fuse in the plug than to make a board for it. look up Tom Scott on youtube , he made a video on it.
>>
>>7686299
looks like they are laughing at OP
>>
>>7686272
AC can be transmitted over a single wire, unlike DC, which requires to wires and a complete circuit.
>>
File: fet.png (8KB, 636x532px) Image search: [Google]
fet.png
8KB, 636x532px
>>7686348
I'll entertain this retarded double cord design for a minute. Assuming you mean both cords will essentially have a live, neutral, and ground wire and the device has some kind of switching MOSFET switching circuit to switch from one source to the other if power in one cord is cut off I'd still say this design is retarded.

Two cords is extra bulk and extra cost and what do you gain? How many times does someone really end up running over a cord with a lawn mower? Maybe once or twice sure, but not often enough that it would necessitate a dual cord design. Most users would probably bundle the cords close together anyway so if they run over one they'd run over the other so it's essentially pointless.
>>
>>7686272
I am going to show my electronics instructor this monday. He must know my pain. Jesus wept, is op retarded.
>>
ITT: people who don't understand electricity and like 2 people trying in vain to explain why they are retarded
>>
itt op trolls sci
>>
>>7686794
>How many times does someone really end up running over a cord with a lawn mower?

Double the chance if there's two cords - hence the need for double the durability.
>>
>>7686816
Sadly, this. I swear to christ, sometimes I open a thread here and forget I'm not on /x/
>>
>>7686272
Here, OP, read this. It's in simple language and will explain why this is not the mystery you think it is.
>>
Dear anon,
you are probably trolling but this is for the people here that actually don't get why OP's question is ridiculous:
electrical devices need two terminals to work. This is achieved by the two metal pins on literally every socket.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.