[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Couldn't one simply grow a superintelligent mind by gro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: brain.jpg (113KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
brain.jpg
113KB, 1280x720px
Couldn't one simply grow a superintelligent mind by growing neurons in a large enough vat with a built-in vascular network to bring in nutrients and oxygen and remove carbon dioxide?

Brain tumors are made up of neurons or glial cells and they replicate very well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_tumor

And they can already grow tiny brains with all the right specialized tissues in labs:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/18/first-almost-fully-formed-human-brain-grown-in-lab-researchers-claim

The researchers above claim that its difficult to grow brains any bigger without a vascular network. However, blood vessels have been successfully made from stem cells:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/new-blood-vessel-grows-1-week-when-using-stem-cells-2-tablespoons-blood-307941

And two-way transmission of electrical signals between neurons and computer chips have been shown to work as well which should provide the "super-brain" with efferent and afferent processes as well as a way to receive and send out information:

http://news.discovery.com/tech/computer-chips-nerve-cells-110321.htm

Put all of these together and a superintelligent brain grown in a lab should be possible, no?

And if superintelligence is possible then the Singularity as predicted by Kurzweil and Vinge should be possible today as well, right?
>>
>>7685820
What singularity? You mean a black hole? How does that tie in with artificial brain material.
>>
>>7685820
I am a monument for all your sins
>>
>brain size =/= intelligence
>>
>>7685820
How does the brain recieve meaningful stimulus? If its just a lump of electrical jello.
>>
>>7685820
>If I put a zodiac in a swimming pool in a month it will grow into a cruise liner
>I'll be rich!

Fuck off back to reddit
>>
>>7685820
>Couldn't one simply grow a superintelligent mind by growing neurons in a large enough vat with a built-in vascular network to bring in nutrients and oxygen and remove carbon dioxide?
No

Size of the brain is a moot point. Whales have massive brains compared to our own. It's the neural networks that matter, in fact there is a lot of "dead zones" in our brains that only seem to transmit signal to and from the main processing hubs.

Of course, we know next to nothing about these neural networks, they may as well be a hypothesis. So reengineering them in a giant vat brain is out of the question
>>
>>7685918
>Size of the brain is a moot point. Whales have massive brains compared to our own.
Please don't talk about neurology when you have absolutely no knowledge of it.
>>
>>7685913
>Fuck off back to reddit
people like you with these inane comments are nothing but cancer

go away and do some thinking, child
>>
It's not simply how many neurons you have, but the neural net they form and the receptors they have. A human brain is a human brain.

Though really, saying that all human brains are the same is inaccurate - and I'm not talking about race. The direction you want to take this is towards getting more work done per neuron.

A neuron functions by storing an electrical charge, and transmitting this charge to another neuron. The mediums that this charge travels through are jets of Calcium, Sodium and Potassium. So, a jet of Ca, K or Na is shot to the next neuron, and some of this Ca, K or Na then gets shot into a third neuron.

Obviously, stores of these elements are important. But, excitotoxicity occurs when there's too much calcium in a cell. A psychosis is what happens when many neurons in the net start shooting and absorbing jets too quickly - they wear out. Stem cells are recruited to become new neurons. The script of physical movement is written in neurotransmitters attached to receptors within the cellular membrane - the synaptic cleft controls how the next neuron down the line will be effected. New neurons don't necessarily inherit the receptors common in the mature neurons - the sudden rush of fresh neurons that can take lots of receptors is the cause of neuroplasticity, and is the reason psychosis can last for years or life.

You need to make the neurons more robust - even electrons cause degradation from electromigration. Graphene would probably serve the purpose, since it can conduct electrons losslessly and without friction - the least amount of electromigration possible. The tiny holes in the graphene wire can be repaired by exposing it to hydrocarbons. Already, people are culturing neurons in graphene, and making artificial neurons out of it.
>>
>>7686078
graphene brain AI supercomputer when
>>
>>7686155

At the rate at which 3Dprinting is coming along, we may get them installed in our heads within 19 years.

To be honest, the way graphene can be synthesized in so many ways from so many different molecules is eerie to me. Now, they're making 'diamond nanothreads' by pressurizing hydrogenated benzene rings - which, like graphene, are composed of carbon hexagons. Long triple bonds of carbon - called carbyne - are also very strong. Studies have shown that graphene uptakes hydrogen and oxygen very readily, and this is actually most of it's weight - stripped of both, the graphene is sort of like ultra-strong mist.

Let's also not forget that graphene is an organic molecule, and readily integrates into biological systems - life readily takes up and uses ultra-strong mist. Life could be composed of something almost as light as air.

I just don't understand - why hasn't nature made use of this stuff? In my attempt to answer that question, I've compared it to the oxygen catastrophe; oxygen was bound up in molecules, and then released into the atmosphere. It killed the cyanobacteria, and set the stage for them to be replaced by us - organisms that are far larger and more complex. I believe nuclear pollution is the modern equivalent.

The statistics of extinction are impossible to argue with, but we have to ask what will survive? What frightens me to my bones is that radiation-eating fungus already exists - and gamma-ray photosynthesis seems to be innate to fungal biochemistry. It wouldn't take much to push the primary producers of an environment to switch to this metabolism - just kill of the photosynthetic life, like we're already doing.

They say bucky balls have been created at Fukushima - I think they're produced by all reactors that use graphite as a neutron absorber. Loaded with radioactive atoms, these bucky balls could bond with graphene and form self-powering organisms.
>>
>>7685823
>What singularity? You mean a black hole? How does that tie in with artificial brain material.
OP meant the Singularity as in the merging of man and machine
>>
>>7686078

Most of this post is nonsense.
>>
>>7685924

But he's right. There are plenty of marine mammals with larger brain volumes than humans. The size of the brain alone cannot account for intelligence. Factors such as number of neurons and synapses, and relative size of structures, particularly the neocortex are important.
>>
>>7686362
it's not about the complete volume, it's about dem dere encephalization

also you're a pleb if you need a dictionary to find out what encephalization is
>>
>>7686372

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Larger mammals tend to have greater brain volume given over to the cerebellum and brainstem. While there are marine mammals with more neurons in the neocortex than humans, I suspect require larger sensory and motor cortices, which comes at the expense of other cortical functions.
>>
File: iov_zslVsHEPDrmdfWVRfw.jpg (12KB, 346x247px) Image search: [Google]
iov_zslVsHEPDrmdfWVRfw.jpg
12KB, 346x247px
>>7686359

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_potential
>In neurons, they play a central role in cell-to-cell communication. In other types of cells, their main function is to activate intracellular processes. In muscle cells, for example, an action potential is the first step in the chain of events leading to contraction. In beta cells of the pancreas, they provoke release of insulin
>Action potentials are generated by special types of voltage-gated ion channels embedded in a cell's plasma membrane
>When the channels open (in response to depolarization in transmembrane voltage[b]), they allow an inward flow of sodium ions, which changes the electrochemical gradient, which in turn produces a further rise in the membrane potential

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage-gated_ion_channel
>Examples include:
>the sodium and potassium voltage-gated channels of nerve and muscle
>the voltage-gated calcium channels that play a role in neurotransmitter release in pre-synaptic nerve endings

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitotoxicity
>Excitotoxicity is the pathological process by which nerve cells are damaged or killed by excessive stimulation by neurotransmitters
>Excitotoxins like NMDA and kainic acid which bind to these receptors, as well as pathologically high levels of glutamate, can cause excitotoxicity by allowing high levels of calcium ions (Ca2+) to enter the cell

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_stem_cell
>Neural stem cells (NSCs) are self-renewing, multipotent cells that generate the main phenotype of the nervous system
>NSCs primarily differentiate into neurons, astrocytes, and oligodendrocytes

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Receptor_%28biochemistry%29
>A molecule that binds to a receptor is called a ligand, and can be a peptide (short protein) or another small molecule such as a neurotransmitter, hormone, pharmaceutical drug, toxin, or parts of the outside of a virus or microbe
>>
>>7685824
Gravemind.
>>
>>7685820
Brains need stimuli.
What makes human brains develop besides gestation and physical growth is the development of processes in response to stimuli so you would need eyes and ears to provide atleast basic stimuli.
And you need to prevent neural degeneration, and neurological diseases such as Alzheimers, Parkinsons, Huntingtons even MS etc..
>>
File: neuray_chip1.jpg (46KB, 469x268px) Image search: [Google]
neuray_chip1.jpg
46KB, 469x268px
>>7687259
We already have ways to interface neurons with silicon (e.g. cochlear implants, neural chips, bionic eyes).
>>
>>7685918
Larger bodies require more neurons to process sensory input. Nothing to do with "smartness" really.

It takes 350 years to eat a whale assuming you eat 1.5kg of whale meat a day.

It takes slightly over a month to eat a human assuming you eat 1.5 kg of human meat a day.

All that brain is due to the whale's large body mass.
>>
>>7686372

Neuroscience-fag here. Encephalization is a pretty vague term here, I'm sure you're talking about brain-to-body mass ratio.

>>7685820

To OP's question. We don't even know for sure what the ultimate neural correlates of intelligence are. Brain size(BBMR) seems to matter some, but it's more complex than that. Myelination, synapses etc. probably also play a role. So we would have to know the exact mechanisms before we could even think about constructing such a brain.

Also, the mind must be enabled by both the brain and the body, not just in order to act, so you wouldn't just be able to grow a working brain out of nothing. The brain also need stimulation for neuron growth. You could even very roughly consider the brain a sensory organ imo.
>>
>>7686078

This is not exactly how it works. The APs themselves are created by an influx of Na+, from the Na+/ pumps into the cell membrane, creating hyperpolarization("inactive" neurons are negatively charged). Ca is influxed in the axon terminals after this transmission has begun to form neurotransmitters inside the vesicles, preparing them for release into the synapse. Ergo, the neurotransmitters are what communicate across neurons, not the ions, the ions just facilitate it.
>>
I don't think God would give such a thing consciousness.
>>
>>7687307

Sorry, I meant depolarization not hyperpolarization.
>>
>>7687308
Why do you do this, anon?
I'm just curious. Did you laugh afterwards, during, prior to posting? Multiple, none? Were you apathetic and just posted while scrolling, then waited for responses?

Is it possibility and anticipation that drives it?
>>
>>7685998
he is right imo
>>
>>7687311
I posted it apathetically in the Publix parking lot waiting for my order of fried chicken. I was a few minutes early and decided to check /sci/. I didn't laugh until I read your comment. I thought it would be entertaining to make stupid atheists angry. I do believe in God, though.
>>
>>7685857
Actually, assuming neuronal and synaptic density are equivalent, brain size = intelligence.
>>
>>7687298
Time to invest in whale-farming.
>>
>>7688375
That's wrong. Making it clear that brain size and neuron count=/=intelligence.
>>
>>7685824
I haven't heard that since late 2004. You just hit me in the face with nolstalgia.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.