[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Owl -> Hearing "With ears set at different places on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: lo.jpg (199KB, 937x551px) Image search: [Google]
lo.jpg
199KB, 937x551px
Owl -> Hearing
"With ears set at different places on its skull, an owl is able to determine the direction from which the sound is coming by the minute difference in time that it takes for the sound waves to penetrate the left and right ears."
Is this true?
>>
>>7683752
It's how your directional hearing works too. It's also why you can't tell what direction sound is coming from underwater; the higher speed of sound makes the time difference too small for your brain to find the direction of the source.
>>
>>7683758
nice comment, tnx
>>
>>7683758
I thought it's because you hear something louder in one ear than the other? Fuck you bro
>>
>>7683758

this and there's another reason i can't remember
>>
>>7683752
Yea, thats how all bi focal hearing works. Its the same principle behind surround sound systems. Really not all that impressive.
>>
>>7683875
think about it. A loud noise is made 100m away. The difference of 15cm wouldn't have a significant difference is the amount of energy (and therefore how loud the sound is) in each ear, but you can imagine still knowing the direction.
>>
>>7683935

Yeah, it's about 0.0004 seconds between 15cm ears, no? Color me skeptical but willing to be wowed.
>>
>>7684098
A little bit under half a millisecond isn't that crazy of an interval. It's impressive, but doable.
>>
>>7684098
It's actually pretty easy to extract very precise phase information if the phase shift is between two copies of the same wave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interaural_time_difference
>>
>>7683875

It's both. There's parts of the brain that differentiate the time difference and intensity difference between ears.
>>
>>7684316
Also, there's how muffled different frequencies are, based on the fact that it may have traveled through your head to get to one ear.
>>
>>7683752
Humans can do this too retard
>>
Yes. Their faces are slightly asymmetric, too, and direct sound into the ears in different ways depending upon the angle from which the sound comes. The actual tone of the sound changes depending upon direction, and they use that information... it's pretty amazing in that respect.

An owl is an extremely stupid creature; its brain consists almost entirely of circuitry for processing vision and hearing.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.