[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How artistic is the average /sci/ user? do you have or take

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13

How artistic is the average /sci/ user?

do you have or take time for any creative hobbies?

is art supposed to be separated from science?
>>
I shitpost
>>
I take this as an opportunity to show off my art on Instagram: haoxymo .
Average /sci/ user
>>
>>7681486
>haoxymo
>I study Chinese Language and Culture

>Average /sci/ user

please tell me you're not a pop-sci memer
>>
>>7681496
Hey I study a lot of stuff
>Theoretical Physics
>>
>>7681464
I'm sort of an artist. I work in the film industry doing creative work and have been putting more money into my own experiments and personal projects.

It's pretty self evident that meaningful science takes a lot of funding and dedication. People breaking new ground are generally working in a very narrow specialization.

I'm always trying to expand my understanding of where science is going and avoid the typical "science fan" foolishness, but I don't have any delusions that I'll crack open some great new revelation about reality (or even invent some novel application of new science, like Daguerre).

Artists are always playing around with application though. People are always on the hunt for new textiles and materials and doing things that the engineers or inventors never imagined.

I think our education system definitely silos kids. I got pigeonholed as an "art kid", and others got pigeonholed as "science kids", with lots of people pushing them to laser down into a career path ASAP.

Which is a shame, general curiosity tends to be good for everyone, and make for more well rounded people.
>>
>>7681510
>I work in the film industry doing creative work
What exactly do you do? How did you get that work (education, career path, etc)?

Just curious.
>>
>>7681464
I have been diagnosed with artism.
>>
>>7681464
The average /sci/ user is exceptionally autistic
>>
>>7681516
>Went to art school on a scholarship
>tried film, liked it alot, got super into cinematography and lighting
>had trouble finding a stable gig after school, fell in with old grips and gaffers, pretty much by dumb luck (I was a farm kid, so I could at least be a good helper even if I wasn't super skilled)
>make 50 bucks an hour and never have to fetch coffee for some cunt ever again

Tends to be a lot of slug work but I'm getting more jobs where I'm handling the lighting design from the ground up. If I can swing I'm going to try to jump over to cinematographer in the next few years.
>>
>>7681510
>Which is a shame
It's not a shame insofar as the real world expects people to basically have a consistent resume. Take it from someone who never got pigeoholed effectively, flitting between charter schools, junior colleges, eventually an actual (even high ranking) university, without ever having gottened pigeoholed; it dramatically increases the probability that your life will be ruined.
>>
>>7681535
That's sort of my point; it's an unfortunate necessity. If Richard Feynman were in school today, he'd probably have been shuffled off to some community college to make 30k a year as an at-will adjunct, to be promptly forgotten. Or he'd adjust and become another predictable unit of "productivity".
>>
>>7681532
>make 50 bucks an hour
Damn son. How consistent is the work tho. Lived in LA and met film people; they got payed well but often had giant gaps in work, making it sorta even out to mediocre pay.

Also how hard is it to start from the ground up in that business (do they even care about education or is it all just connections)? How long would it take to go from shit work to not as shit work?
>>
>>7681564
>giant gaps in work
Yep. I'm hitting one right now because of the holidays. I'm taking the time to write and do my own thing, which includes some entrepreneurial stuff that will probably amount to zilch. And I'm honestly not well suited to a regular job. If I hadn't fallen into this, I'd probably be a NEET alcoholic or living in a van.

On the upside, if you can get into the feature world, you can pull down like 25k in a couple months because of the overtime pay. I keep my expenses low and I'm self sufficient.

>education
Your credentials don't matter, but most people make their most important connections in undergrad or grad school. I'm a bit of an oddball, but I still work with people I went to school with. Your educational credentials per se aren't important, but building skills and know-how is critical.

It took me longer than most to get established because I was sort of directionless after school and had a lot of issues with depression and whatnot holding me back. Alot of people start out by looking for a steady job on the fringe of the industry (ie, warehousing in a camera or lighting rental outfit) and at some point, just make the jump to freelancing. Like a lot of jobs, you look for people who are trying to do what you want to do, and find a way to be useful to them so you can learn what they know. That's on the crew side anyway. I imagine a lot of other showbiz jobs still either go to the person with an uncle Maury or a top notch dicksucking skills.
>>
I've been playing in local bands since I was 14. Some originals.
>>
File: FRC.jpg (1MB, 2164x1356px) Image search: [Google]
FRC.jpg
1MB, 2164x1356px
im artistic as fuck
>>
>>7681614
gobstopper?
>>
File: frc.png (68KB, 927x563px) Image search: [Google]
frc.png
68KB, 927x563px
>>7681625
frc plasma
>>
>>7681464
Im autistic as fuck and see no inherent value in art... other than stunningly realistic paintings and huge-ass frescos etc with tons of detail and hundreds of hours of work.
>>
>>7681658
Why do you value the art that you do value? Why would you value a realistic painting over a photograph of the same scene, or (for example, a complex blueprint or CAD diagram?)

Do you think it's better/more valid to be captivated by that than by (for example) being captivated by imaginary people's problems on a TV screen?

Genuinely curious.
>>
File: xqsVT[1].jpg (282KB, 1617x910px) Image search: [Google]
xqsVT[1].jpg
282KB, 1617x910px
Does data visualization count ?
>>
>>7681674
>Why do you value the art that you do value?
Because i value effort, attention to detail and finesse. And to me being able to realistically replicate people / scenes to a 2 dimensional frame is incredible.

>Why would you value a realistic painting over a photograph of the same scene
Isnt it obvious? photographs are just photographs, anyone can take them and it barely requires any effort.

>Do you think it's better/more valid to be captivated by that than by (for example) being captivated by imaginary people's problems on a TV screen?
Im not sure what you mean, playing pretend is completely different skillset.
>>
>>7681614
what visualization software did you use to make that?
>>
>is art supposed to be separated from science?
Science is a tradition of experimental realist writing and critique.
>>
File: Collagen.jpg (215KB, 864x398px) Image search: [Google]
Collagen.jpg
215KB, 864x398px
>>7681464
There is some really beautiful photographies to be taken in molecular biology, and that certainly is art
Pic related is collagen in a knee
>>
is art supposed to be seperated from science?

there are fields for a reason. some are naturally inclined to art, some to science. by inclined i mean

having better production and efficiency. achievement
>>
Piano playing/composing
Woodworking
Programming
Being arrogant
Graphic design
Photography
Cooking
>>
File: IMG_20151108_102258549.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151108_102258549.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I made this canvas using stencil, try to figure out the message
>>
art is maths
math is creation
>>
File: 111_Natural-Reflex.jpg (452KB, 952x950px) Image search: [Google]
111_Natural-Reflex.jpg
452KB, 952x950px
>>7681464
Delineation is usually an illusion. Everything of the mind suffers some degree of spillover.

I like art, and philosophy. Took a number of years, but I finally reverse engineered what caused people to generate the thoughts they do, to a satisfactory extent. I also learned not t really give a shit. People's nonsense when it comes to art, what art is, what art should be, what CAN art be, can now be more or less ignored and only passively considered. Clutter more often than not.

People who can't appreciate art are trying to get rid of themselves.
>>
File: kat.jpg (135KB, 850x638px) Image search: [Google]
kat.jpg
135KB, 850x638px
>>7681464
I goof around on the keyboards and I skateboard. I used to play guitar but everyone in S. Florida wants to play fucking post hardcore.
>>
>>7681464
I like that art a lot but the specific colours used reminds me of vomit.

can you make one with just blue and purple and green and yellow and a little orange and maybe some black or silver
>>
I play a dozen different instruments, the product of having no friends in high school. Got a new wave band (all original material), do a small tour a couple times a year, and do session stuff for other bands on occasion. I also play in a swing ensemble once a week, and have an occasional small part in the symphony orchestra/musicals/whatever. I used to compose a lot, but have no time for it any more.

And I paint, but not very well, even though I love taking in visual arts. I like inks/watercolour. Used to write a newspaper column, and I'm trying to take up writing fiction... mystery books for kids. That's hard going. I know good writing when I read it, but I don't know how to make it.

Anyway, I never mix any of this with my science stuff, but I don't see any problem with it. Some people like that sort of thing. Do what you love, you know?
>>
I'd like to draw stuff and make music, but I don't have enough time atm. I can visualize those drawings in my head, though.
>>
The average /sci/ user is very autistic.
>>
File: picrelated.jpg (253KB, 1250x769px) Image search: [Google]
picrelated.jpg
253KB, 1250x769px
>>7682483

OP here, I did not make this sorry

pic related is a sample of what I do

>>7681733

there are indeed some beautiful patterns hidden in small scales

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2010/06/alcohol-under-microscope.html
>>
>>7681710
>effort, attention to detail, and finesse
Are you aware that some photorealists use a camera obscura... and may essentially be tracing a photograph? Many photographers approach their work with a lot of care and finesse--check out Cartier-Bresson or Ansel Adams.

If you're interested in how a work is created, you might find that even abstract paintings are often made with a very studied process.

What sort of scenes do you like in a photorealistic painting? Landscapes? Portraits?
>>
>>7681528
i am autistic yet im a big jazz and contemporary art fan. Autists can be creative but most surpress it in order to fit in with the /sci/ world
>>
>>7681658
>>7681710
wow this is some purified autism but hey bro at least you were honest. I hope you open your mind one day
>>
>>7682987
looks good man, keep it up
>>
I've painted and played music all my life. I was going to pursue music, but I'm doing mechanical engineering now. Fuck
>>
File: einstein_piano.jpg (22KB, 400x394px) Image search: [Google]
einstein_piano.jpg
22KB, 400x394px
>>
File: uranus_earth_comparison.jpg (280KB, 3000x2251px) Image search: [Google]
uranus_earth_comparison.jpg
280KB, 3000x2251px
I made this. Is it artistic?
>>
>>7685670
no, it's "artistic"
>>
Might have already been said, but art and science can go hand in hand. Writing science fiction, or architecture come to mind, but really you can shove the science almost anywhere.
>>
>>7682465
>People who can't appreciate art are trying to get rid of themselves.

elaborate pls

interesting way to put it
>>
>>7685670
it might be arsetistic, or fartistic
>>
>>7682435
that penguin is an hero

>>7682465
>People who can't appreciate art
Now this is an interesting phrase to hear. What is "art" and what on earth does it mean to "appreciate" it in the general sense?
[spoiler] And if we can neither consistently nor completely define it as something that isn't entirely composed of other well-defined parts of human endeavor, why the fuck should we feel the need to treat it as more than the sum of its parts? [/spoiler]
The problem we run into is similar in many ways to that of philosophy. Its very nature coddles shit ideas and shit thinkers (cf all of postmodernism) by providing them a framework where they can not be objectively proven wrong or inferior. This is compounded in art, where the themes, ideas, emotions, etc the artist intended to evoke cannot be meaningfully separated from those occurring to the viewer accidentally, or even reliably identified.
Take pic related for instance. Is it supposed to challenge the natural/artificial dichotomy by symbolically showing (arguing w/o argument) that all human endeavor is properly regarded as natural (under a certain definition, which the entire question reduces to in the first place, but this framework isn't even hinted to) or is it supposed to show the opposite, and that humanity is fundamentally detached from this "correct" state of affairs and destined for subjection and perdition at the hands of a vengeful awakening god? Perhaps that we're already there, per that douchenozzle Sartre? Perhaps that, but with some sense of salvation ahead or above, perhaps intangible? Maybe this alludes to class conflict, given the characteristics of the unscary area?
It's ALL shit. It's for creators too cowardly to be sincere or those too vapid to give meaning to anything. Those who not only don't care that any meaning they choose to inscribe in their work will be indistinguishable from that occurring accidentally or invented by the psuedointellectual socialite consumer, but count on it.
>>
>>7686253
>7686253

>I can´t understand it
>It´s ALL SHIT
>>
Ay yo, ay yo

Sci be talkin art what a fart to the science only stupids deny this and do artists ask why this?

I don't know but we throw away the fucking artists because the'yre science departists ONLY NOT REALLY

CAUSE GALILEO'S SHIT SAID DAMN PAPER FREE ME. From this little box. The one that talks.

And that's where his thoughts

Found their freedom. Ay yo, ay yo.
>>
File: jackson-pollock-08.jpg (1MB, 1994x1300px) Image search: [Google]
jackson-pollock-08.jpg
1MB, 1994x1300px
>>7686261
>Here's a simplistic strawman rebuttal to a complex point I seem to have deliberately misunderstood
>>
>>7681691
yes my man, it does count!

what data do you visualize? what progs you use? where do you get the data?
>>
File: Zdzisław Beksiński - 1.jpg (399KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
Zdzisław Beksiński - 1.jpg
399KB, 800x640px
I play a bunch of instruments..I main clarinet and tenor saxophone
>>
>>7681464
>is art supposed to be separated from science?
Yes. They might overlap once in a while but they are absolutely distinct things, not just like religion and science are distinct, but they don't even have the same function.
>>
>>7681464
I try to make time to make shit sounds
>>
>>7681464
I take my filmmaking to a scientific level.
I use information from studies on cinematography and editing to help me make better content.

I create films methodologically and plan everything because I don't want to make a fool of myself. I hate people who ignore the principles behind art and think they do whatever the fuck they want.
>>
>>7687015
>I create films methodologically

Care to elaborate?
>>
>>7681486
you cant be real
>>
>>7687048
He's trans btw
>>
>>7687044
>>7687044
I plan my films according to cinematographical and editorial rules.

For example, if I'm making a horror film I'll look at the story and decide what would be most unsettling for that particular story. Cool colors to create a drab and dark atmosphere? Or warm colors? According to cinematographic principles, warm colors can be even more unsettling than dark when used in the correct story setting. I'll decide based off these principles which will be the best for what scene, sequence, etc.

And I'll do this for other things like composition, etc.
>>
When I'm not slaving away at my thesis I dick around on FL studio. I played a lot of guitar and piano when I was younger; even got offered a full ride at Berkeley to study music when my aunt dated a relatively famous jazz musician.

http://soundcloud.com/nadeshiko-1/nadeshiko-ghosts-new-track
>>
>>7681464
I make hiphop beats using a bass guitar and a loop pedal, i dunno if that counts.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1bMKjqhvatF
>>
>>7681464
Art is literally a waste of time.
>>
>>7687134
this is fucking nice for FL studio, i like the texture, good work
>>
>>7687185
Yeah man all that matters is advancing technology and improving human knowledge in order to increase peoples quality of life, you're not allowed to have fun.
>>
>>7687197
I bet he curls up into a ball in complete shame and self disgust after every orgasm, knowing of all the wasted time, calories, and myriad other resources. All of these things simply shooting away into the ether, never to be truly recovered.
>>
Man, this thread made me feel inferior as fuck. Never really had an artistic outlet, though people have often commented I'm a good writer. Never did it as a hobby though.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.