[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wouldn't the easiest way to fracture something be to use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: skyaxe.jpg (59KB, 500x543px) Image search: [Google]
skyaxe.jpg
59KB, 500x543px
Wouldn't the easiest way to fracture something be to use a double-toothed tool (Notched pickaxe, heehee) to create an interference pattern that will cause parts of the rock to vibrate out of phase with each other?
I was never terribly good at chemisty, but apparently fractures occur when something's structure slides against itself, and I don't think that a radial shockwave is terribly good for doing that.
Alternatively as a way to improve a pickaxe/pneumatic-drill if the vibration is more linear than radial would be to have two impacts, one occurring a tiny fraction of a second later.
>>
File: bosch_jackhammer.jpg (30KB, 437x440px) Image search: [Google]
bosch_jackhammer.jpg
30KB, 437x440px
>>7678063
>Alternatively as a way to improve a pickaxe/pneumatic-drill if the vibration is more linear than radial would be to have two impacts, one occurring a tiny fraction of a second later.
you're a fucking genius, anon
>>
>>7678101
This sounds like sarcasm, but if it is, it's very subtle.
>>
Bump I guess
>>
>>7678110
I mean, a jackhammer hits fast & never quite the same place twice.
What you're saying is the best form might be an endlessly sharp slightly pronged jackhammer. Otherwise, they're the best tool to date for causing fractures.
>>
>>7678063
Dynamite works pretty well to shatter stuff and it employs a radial shockwave.
>>
>>7678277
A jackhammer isn't fast enough to perfectly employ what I'm talking about though, but I think you might be right that it does employ it to some extent.
There are a couple possible ways it could be improved though.

A: The second hit should occur 0.5/f (where f is the frequency of the shockwave) seconds after the first if the shockwaves are narrow and the intent is to make the rock vibrate in opposition to itself.
This effect would work best with a two-headed jackhammer or one with a head that aims itself at two different spots, because it would mean that one gets both improvements A and B.

B: The second hit should occur 1/f seconds after the first in exactly the same place, so that the vibrations amplify to become extremely strong.

>>7678438
But could two sticks spaced a short distance apart work better than two sticks in exactly the same place?
>>
yes you are correct

I've been think of improved ways of mining too.

I imagine you could use the principle of teslas oscillator, calculate and input the surface tension of your material.

and vibrate it to exactly right, to break it with the shockwaves interfering inside the material.

explosion welding might have something to do with it.
>>
>>7678277
An endlessly sharp tool could just be used as a wedge, likely with a much better efficiency.

>>7679254
My guess is that any antinode would only be as strong as that formed by placing the dynamite sticks together.

Apart from that I'm pretty sure we're just talking resonance. A quick idea that pops into my head is finding a way to bond the striking tool to the surface after impact or removing it from the surface before it can rebound, increasing the strength of the pressure oscillations by capturing the energy that would be elastically transferred back into the tool and simply bouncing off. Although the added mass would likely tear off a tiny chunk at the impact site if it were to bond.
>>
>>7679462
I know the antinode strength wouldn't change, but a single radial blast has concentric circles of antinodes, whereas two separate blasts create a checkerboard of opposing antinodes.
The latter sounds like it would be much more stressful to the rock.
>>
File: interference[1].gif (12KB, 512x300px) Image search: [Google]
interference[1].gif
12KB, 512x300px
>>7679554
The pressure gradient wouldn't be any more severe with two wave sources, in most places it would actually be less severe. You're spreading the energy over a larger area.
>>
>>7679615
Consider, though, that if a shockwave is waves of compression, with a single ripple the only places where there's differences in compression is between peaks and trough of that wave.
By having nodal and antinodal lines, the movement of the rock is much more complicated, which sounds like it would be more destructive.
That is, I'd expect the rock to be more likely to break between a nodal and antinodal line.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.