[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /sci/ I'm an auxiliary professor from a Biology in a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: biosites-cytoplasm.jpg (425KB, 1000x1001px) Image search: [Google]
biosites-cytoplasm.jpg
425KB, 1000x1001px
hey /sci/ I'm an auxiliary professor from a Biology in a molecular biology career in South America (Argentina precisely), and wanted ideas and opinions on what kind of lab activities could be implemented for encouraging students to learn or get their attention.
Ive tried looking in US colleges websites for any kind of virtual board or something directed at students to see if I can find any info on what kind of practical activities were carried out, but no luck. I mean you enter my college web and in four clicks you are accessing all the info of the assignature, maybe cause public education here dunno.
An idea of mine was to obtain hometic mutants of Drosophila since we have a constant supply of flies (we grow them through all the year), but I dont know if there is a simple and economic way of achieving this. Well any other ideas or suggestions come in handy, we really are trying to adapt to this new kinds of students and modernize a little
>>
>>7677808

>argentina

Develop a test to check if your students are white or not.
>>
File: T-mac.jpg (21KB, 440x270px) Image search: [Google]
T-mac.jpg
21KB, 440x270px
>>7677808
hmmm
>>
>>7677811
last bastion of european genes, enjoy your refugees and niggers
>>
>>7677808
I did a first year elective biology class in uni where we bred mutant drosophila.

We were all given set amounts of mutants and normie flies in little specimen jars (with gauze covered holes for ventiliation) that contained little discs of food.

After a certain number of labs( I think one or two generations of the flies had been born) we euthanised them then counted out the proportion of mutants.

It was interesting I guess, and apart from a few escapes when people went to euthanise them it went of without a hitch.

I can't imagine it would have been too expensive.
>>
File: hox-mutants.jpg (283KB, 976x706px) Image search: [Google]
hox-mutants.jpg
283KB, 976x706px
>>7677841

yeah thats exactly what we do hence, the large amount of flies we have.
My idea was to obtain homeotic mutants like pic related, but couldnt find any papers or info on how to achieve this easily
>>
Maybe them culture e. coli from your own feces.
>>
>>7677961
very nice
>>
File: Carlos.jpg (7KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
Carlos.jpg
7KB, 262x192px
>>7677961
That's what I call shitposting
>>
Make them clone a GFP gene into a plasmid, insert that into E. coli. Let them grow some cells. Watch the fluorescence under UV.
It's simple stuff that should work without any problems but is rather fascinating for beginners. They can see results of their experiments in a few days already.
>>
>>7677808

Are you white?
>>
>>7681549

This is a great idea. You could even let them play with GFP mutants that fluoresce different colors from the canonical sequence.
>>
Have them stick their unwashed hands in agar and see what grows.
>>
>>7681554
yes, russian and french ancestors
>>7681549
thats to advanced for general biology, we do that later on in other courses
>>7681790
already doing this

maybe I'm asking for a little bit much, I mean we've got like 5 lab sessions we do the same every year probably for a reason, innovating may be a little bit hard...
>>
>>7681554
yes, russian and french ancestors
>>7681549
thats to advanced for general biology, we do that later on in other courses
>>7681790
already doing this

maybe I'm asking for a little bit much, I mean we've got like 5 lab sessions we do the same every year probably for a reason, innovating may be a little bit hard...
>>
>>7677808
let them do a plasmid prep and then digest the plasmid with an restriction enzyme or two, and then visualize all three forms on a gel
>>
>>7677808
Isolate bioluminescent organisms from rotten fish by using autoclaved sea-water agar.

It's the experiment with the best cost-to-awesomeness ratio.
>>
>>7683777
ooooh I really liked this one, care to expand a little? which part of the rotten fish? any fish?
>>
>>7684361
Agar preperation: Get sea-water. Filter it. Add agar and acetat as substrate. Autoclave it. Make plates.

Go to the beach. Look for a dead fish. The fish should be dead for one or two days. Take parts of gills and put them into PBS (or autoclaved sea-water). Plate the mixture in different concentrations. Incubate the plates at roomtemperature.
Your students can try various conditions: Acetat concentrations, parts of the fish, incubation temperature...
>>
>>7684594
nice, will try to implement this, only problem is distance to sea
>>
>>7684881
That's no problem. There are some protocol on the internet to isolate it from squids from the market. They also have medium without seawater.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.