[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the asbestos/lead piping versions of this generation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 16

File: asbestos-infographic-small.png (232KB, 844x260px) Image search: [Google]
asbestos-infographic-small.png
232KB, 844x260px
What are the asbestos/lead piping versions of this generation? As in, what (in the future tense), retrospectively very common chemicals or materials that are being used everywhere right now will end up being understood to have been terrible for human health? I'm assuming certain plastics and GMO's will become this, but I'm sure there is more
>>
>>7668469
There are several fire retardants (for plastic and paint additives) which materials engineers are intentionally using that we know kills any anyone in the immediate vicinity very quickly once vaporized (happens immediately upon heating even before combustion) and on which the effects of long term exposure to minute concentrations have not been extensively studied.

However, modern infrastructure can not exist without these FRs because entire city blocks could easily burn down due to just one moron putting out a cigarette bud in the wrong place. Therefore killing a few people is far better than risking the lives of potentially millions.
>>
>>7668469
>>7668469

Ethanol consumption.

I had a lecture from a member of the UK Committee on Safety of Medicines. If ethanol was discovered today, the legal limit would be minuscule, and the yearly dose within safety guidelines would be along the lines of one glass
>>
>>7668497
Bullshit
>>
>>7668497
>I had a lecture from a member of the UK Committee on Safety of Medicines. If ethanol was discovered today, the legal limit would be minuscule, and the yearly dose within safety guidelines would be along the lines of one glass
Let me guess. Mudslime?
>>
>>7668469
Not ALL GMOs, just GMOs made specificlly to be sprayed with retardedly toxic pesticide.
>>
That's kind of self-defeating question, isn't it? To be asbestos of today it has to be thought of as harmless right now. By definition we can't know it's actually harmful.
>>
>>7668497
>If ethanol was discovered today,

A fun game to play. My favorite is natural gas.

"We've discovered this explosive gas... we will pump it in pipes throughout the city, right into peoples homes, where they will ignite it in open-flame appliances."
>>
as much as I can't imagine a world without. but: fossil oil...

also opiates.

then ofc glyphosate or every other herbicide.

and almost all medicine used to treat symptoms of neuronal diseases.

I'm thinking about some strong EM radiations around cell towers and other highly EM field generating machines as well, but nobody knows if it effects our health as of now.

but it doesn't make you any healthier either so we'll see.
>>
>>7668513
>>7668527
He's right though. Alcohol consumption is responsible for more deaths, directly or indirectly, than any other drug combined.

The only reason it's still legal is because of its incredible importance to human history and culture.
>>
File: 1440562831320.jpg (280KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1440562831320.jpg
280KB, 1280x1440px
>>7668497
> If ethanol was discovered today
If ethanol was discovered today we would not have all the evolutionary adaptions that allow us to consume it in the doses we do today, so this what-if scenario is useless and retarded.
>>
>>7668469
Vegan / Fruiterians / soilers / whatever alternative diets along with so called 'health' food which is sometimes worse than normal food, just more expensive.
>>
>>7668469
Nothing. Stuff like asbestos was so obviously bad for you even the ancients knew it. It was jsut that standards were so lax in the early 20th century that nobody cared. Now there is much more scrutiny and testing of everything. Stop being so paranoid. i bet you are one of those people who wraps your phone in tinfoil while he blazes down the motorway at 100 mph every day. Which is more likely to kill you?
>>7668527
Alcohol is bad for you, you don't need to believe in Allah to realize this. Speaking of Allah
>Be at party
>Someone asks if I want a drink
>I say no
>They ask why
>I say it's not good for my health
>They proceed to goad me to drink despite me saying I don't want to
>Muslim kid at same party
>"Why don't you drink"
>"Because Allah"
>"Oh I understand completely"
>>
>>7668658
>evolutionary adaptions that allow us to consume it in the doses we do today
that was crap
>>
>>7668683
no it was not.
>>
Probably Endocrine Disruptors. They're a significant contaminant in the environment, which accumulates in meat, they have been suspected to have significant effects in low doses, and chronic exposure has been linked to various cancers and obesity. It's also very difficult to take action to combat them due to their pervasive spread.
>>
>>7668658
We can tolerate ethanol because it's a byproduct of our metabolism, and of bacteria living in us.

It doesn't matter when we discovered it, unless your hypothetical outright rewrites how everything is. In which case, we probably don't even exist.
>>
>>7668673
You can't avoid death by not drinking. unless you have like, a heart disease that actually prevents it you're just a fag.
>>
>>7668773
>We can tolerate ethanol because it's a byproduct of our metabolism, and of bacteria living in us.
once we started drinking it a lot changed in us, its not just because its a byproduct
>>
>>7668789
That's so retarded I don't even... yet I have unfortunately heard this logic many times
>"Why bother exercising and eating healthy anon? you won't live forever!"
I have no issue with other people drinking alcohol, it's your body do what you want, what gets me is this culture of pressurization to drink which you summed up nicely by calling me a fag for declining to drink a certain beverage.
>>
>>7668527
David Nutt m8. Google him
>>
>>7668513
>>7668527
>>7668546
>>7668658
>>
File: 1-s2.0-S0140673607604644-gr1.jpg (39KB, 463x412px) Image search: [Google]
1-s2.0-S0140673607604644-gr1.jpg
39KB, 463x412px
>>7669661
>>7668513
>>7668527
>>7668546
>>7668658

There is another graph in his lecture slides showing increase in risk of cancers and what not by alcohol consumption rates (per year or whatever). More than 1 glass (or some other small amount, can't remember precisely) a year is the point where any more is harmful.

I'll get back to you all if I can be bothered to look for it
>>
Antiperspirant.

Aluminum is already linked to causing Alzheimer's, yet we are culturally obligated to let it soak into our armpits daily through deodorant.
>>
>>7669670
>>>7669661 (You)
>>>7668513
>>>7668527
>>>7668546
>>>7668658

Here is the ethanol consumption page.
9g of alcohol per unit

paper here
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC117446/pdf/191.pdf
>>
>>7669678
I don't use deoderant. But I shower at least once a day, often twice a day
>>
>>7669688
I stopped using shampoo and only use showering gel every few days. I still shower daily but my skin has been a lot less oily ever since and people compliment my hair.
>>
>>7669682
I'll dump some more pages
>>
>>7669695
>>
>>7669697
>>
>>7669697
n
>>
>>7669712
>>
>>7669714
Last one from the lecture about alcohol (from publications)
>>
>>7668469
Antibiotics
the ultimate solution to all infections, and we feed it to cattle, "just in case".
>>
>>7669733
No, we feed it to cattle because they're consuming a diet of heavily subsidized corn and soybean. This diet alters the pH of their stomach and allows harmful bacteria to thrive, making them sickly and highly prone to infection. They're eating garbage quality food that their digestive system isn't even suited for.

So we give them growth hormone. Not to increase yield, but because even with antibiotics you can't keep a half dead animal packed in with dozens of others alive long enough to be worth it.
>>
>>7669744
God damn this is some retarded shit.

Have you ever been on a farm your life?

Or is this some American thing they do?
>>
>>7668529
>has GMO
>needs more pesticide
Wtf did you gm, a plant that needs pesticides to live?
>>
>>7669722
>Not labeling the y-axis

Trashed.
>>
>>7668664
Bananas < $1/lb.

Apples're a bit more than $1/lb.

Kale is something like $3 and spinach $2.50.

Water's 10 cents per bottle where I buy it. $3.50/35 bottles.

Produce isn't at all expensive in most cases.
>>
GMOs and milk. Milk has an effect which causes type 1 diabetes in children. Many other effects which aren't entirely good for you.
>>
>>7670511
bananas/apples/kale is normal food, im talking about those things you get in the supermarkets health food sections.

>water
>10c/bottle
I pay 10c for 500L tap water.
>>
>>7670520
I'd rather drink water not contaminated with fluoride. MUH IQ SOIR
>>
>>7670509
It was probably cut off for some reason, since it is obviously number of deaths, the lecturer would just state it instead.

Even a retard could figure it out, but apparently you can't?
>>
>>7670397
Are you a kiwi?
>>
>>7668586
>Alcohol consumption is responsible for more deaths, directly or indirectly, than any other drug combined.
Only because it's so widely consumed.
>>
>>7669682
>Smallest demarkation is like 9 drinks a week
>That's a 6 pack of beer every week
>Every week
>Even then the risk of a 6 pack every week is minimal
>>
>>7670503
Cuz then you can sell the pesticides.

Granted, they are sometimes pesticides that would kill lesser plants - which is part of the point.

I've no problem with GMO's in and of themselves - we're going to need GMO's of all sorts, if we're going to continue this concentration of population. But, currently, GMO's aren't about feeding people - they about making a quick buck. At the very least, we should make it illegal to patent human modifications, as in the end, you're going to be patenting people.
>>
>>7669661
How the fuck are they measuring harm? It really just seems like they threw a bunch of random ass numbers out there to say that alcohol is worse than other drugs, and in the case of heroin it certainly isn't.
>>
>>7668673

Flying spaghetti monster told you to tell people it was for your health, didn't he?
>>
>>7668673

But it being bad for you doesn't at all describe to what degree it's bad for you. Refusing to be an alcoholic is really good for your health. Refusing to have one drink at a party has such a small effect of your health it is not even within our ability to measure it.

People try to get you to drink despite you stating your reason because your reason is so weak it's literally immeasurable. Next time try just saying, "I don't like drinking," or if you're feeling honest, "choosing not to drink makes me feel like I have control over my life and death, and doing so in the presence of all these people drinking makes me feel superior to all of them."

Or, you know, just take a glass and don't drink it, you know, like some kind of polite person with social skills.
>>
>>7670661
It's not on a per-user basis so the more common drugs get their rating bumped up.
>>
>>7670661
Read the paper faggot

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673610614626

And don't fucking complain if your shit university doesn't have access
>>
>>7670746
No.
Read the paper retard
>>7671758

>>7670651
5 units a week is about 3 beers right? increases the first cancer risk by about 10%. Colon by 5%-ish. Oesophageal ~5% Cirrhosis ~10%. That's massive m8.

>>7670645
Read papers pleb
>>
>>7668529
>just GMOs made specificlly to be sprayed with retardedly toxic pesticide.
glyphosate is one of the most well studied pesticides we have, and as pesticides go it's remarkably nontoxic at normal consumer exposure levels
>>
File: DDT_sprayed_on_niggers.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
DDT_sprayed_on_niggers.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>7671786
According to the guys who are selling it, they being the same people who are doing the testing. That being a core problem with the whole industry.
>>
>>7668469
Combustion engine exhaust.(especially diesel exhaust) We know it is dangerous to human health, we just aren't doing enough about it:
http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/09/air-pollution-effects-are-ten-thousand.html?m=1
>>
>>7671771
>5 units a week is about 3 beers right? increases the first cancer risk by about 10%. Colon by 5%-ish. Oesophageal ~5% Cirrhosis ~10%. That's massive m8.
Nah those are all pretty low. I don't know about the usual rates on the others, but cirrhosis seems like it would be virtually non-existent in non-drinkers, so a 10% increase is nothing.
>>
>>7671786
>glyphosate is one of the most well studied pesticides we have, and as pesticides go it's remarkably nontoxic at normal consumer exposure levels
You know that companies aren't obligated to publicize the studies with results they don't like right?

You know that at .05 you only need to do roughly 20 studies to get the results you want right? You think monsanto doesn't have the cash for hundreds of studies? Have you considered the ROI for such an endeavour?
>>
>>7670397
It's an American thing. They have all that land, and they misuse it to hell.
>>
>>7670397
It's an American thing.

I grew up in the Northeast around farms, most of which were "okay" besides one that cut the tails off their cows. The farms in the midwest though... Seeing that firsthand was a whole different story.
>>
>>7671786
>Ignores soil accumulation (hasn't evaluated degradation rate versus application rate)
>Ignores basic evolution. You slowly need to apply more as resistant plants survive and thrive. This causes the amount consumed to rise.
>Secondary ecological effects.
>Ignores who was performing these studies and what interests they might have, and the ease with which industry pays off even independent researchers.
>Ignores the massive contradiction in the literature that's available.

GMOs have potential, but you're ignoring almost everything important about roundup-ready, and defending complete trash.
>>
>>7672215
>The farms in the midwest though
arent those the ones that actually produce 99% of the stuff?
I still marvel at how the great plains are some kind of breadbasket. Before modern technology, that land was so horribly shit the people living on it abandoned corn farming to holocaust buffalo as soon as they were introduced to horses.
>>
File: cyg.jpg (2MB, 5689x4480px) Image search: [Google]
cyg.jpg
2MB, 5689x4480px
>>7672225
>arent those the ones that actually produce 99% of the stuff?
Don't know the actual percentage, but the vast majority of livestock is "western".

Driving the bison near to extinction had the convenient, and probably not unexpected, side effect of eventually compromising the native tribes and forcing them either south, or further west. More or less the groundwork for laying the railroad as well.
>>
>>7670661
It doesn't say alcohol is worse than heroin except in harm to others, which seems believable.
>>
File: 1440115094868.jpg (50KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1440115094868.jpg
50KB, 1280x720px
>>7671758
>I am just dumping some random paper and call others moron. This is how I communicate and feel smart.
>>
>>7668469
If we knew we wouldn't be fucking using them would we?
>>
>>7669722
>>7669714
>>7669712
>>7669702
>>7669695
>>7669682
>>7669670
>>7669661
>>7669697
>I don't know what I'm talking about so let me spam pictures hoping it proves what I want
>>
>>7668497

Ethanol invented human civilization.
>>
>>7668537

Asbestos was known to be harmful for a very long time before it was banned.
>>
>>7671786

Drink some then. :^)
>>
>>7669722
The hell does ecstasy cause fewer deaths than weed?
>>
>>7668469
One of my friends told me that asbestos from the US didn't cause cancer but people started importing shitty asbestos from Australia and that shit caused cancer.
Not being knowledgeable on the subject, I filed it under "dubious" and forgot about it until now.
>>
File: energy_saving_light_bulb_1.jpg (24KB, 280x390px) Image search: [Google]
energy_saving_light_bulb_1.jpg
24KB, 280x390px
I think that compact florescent light bulbs will be considered stupid in the future. The idea of putting little glass vials of mercury vapour in every room of the house is just asking for trouble.
>>
The benzene additive to unleaded gasoline is very carcinogenic, ironically probably more dangerous than the relatively inert lead additive it displaced.
>>
>>7672431

Already outmoded by the superior LED bulbs.
>>
>>7672431
True dat, those things are already a nightmare to recycle.
>>
>>7672431
>The idea of putting little glass vials of mercury vapour in every room of the house is just asking for trouble
Only if the house is occupied by idiots.
>>
>>7670689
This is exactly what I am talking about. I don't want to fucking drink, why can't you just respect that and stop pushing your beliefs on me? Fuck you.
>>
>>7669678
so what should I use instead of antiperspirant
>>
>>7669678
I haven't used deodorant since I was ~16 (8 years). As a result I've suffered... no meaningful change in my life.

I don't smell anything, but that's expected. I've asked people who I believe to be honest, and they've said they don't smell any "body odor". The most anyone has said is that if she were to actually try to focus on, she'd probably notice a faint "me smell". Had I not mentioned it, it would not be known.

I might be physiologically lucky in some sense. But as a whole I'm apt to say antiperspirant or deodorant is an unnecessary load of bullshit. As is showering every day and using harsher soaps, thus altering the average pH of your skin and fucking up its overall ecology. Which no surprise, allows organisms you don't really want thriving on your body, to thrive on your body.

I don't know where it started. I don't know if it evolved on its own over time, if someone pushed it, if media and advertising pushed it. If it was engineered or opportunistic. But the general perception of hygiene just doesn't reflect reality.
>>
>>7672549
>Only if the house is occupied by idiots.
So, every house ever?
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.