[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So im talking to a girl who goes to MIT. She studies neuroscience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: whatanicebrainguys.jpg (724KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
whatanicebrainguys.jpg
724KB, 2000x1000px
So im talking to a girl who goes to MIT. She studies neuroscience and premed, and works at a neuroscience lab. Is there any entry level stuff i could read on neuroscience so i could talk to her about it?
>>
File: c50ac960435f6834b5e6df67d9a27acc.png (527KB, 1311x945px) Image search: [Google]
c50ac960435f6834b5e6df67d9a27acc.png
527KB, 1311x945px
You're fucked, just give me her number
Should have majored in neuro m8
>>
>>7666049
Read the sticky.
>>
>>7666049
Since there are threads which are more retarded, and since neuro is my area of specialization, two good texts are "Neuroscience" 5th edition by Purves (and others) and "Principles of Neural Science" by Kandel (and others).
>>
>>7666049
I don't think it's a good strategy trying to impress her on her own turf. If you have a field of expertise of your own, tell her about it (if she's interested) and listen to what she has to say about her work/studies

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for expanding your horizon and learning new stuff, but this is not the occasion to do that.
>>
>>7666049
Don't bother. The cool thing about dating someone with different interests is that you'll always have something new to talk about.

Never understood why people go out looking for carbon copies of themselves.
>>
>>7666049
As her to prove that you wont get autism from vaccines.

>mark cookies
fuck you captcha, im on a diet
>>
Don't try and impress her and sound like a douche, but the link between the HPA axis and depression is interesting. Gene expression is cool. Action potentials and EPSP's are like basic babby first year stuff but thats cool. If she's 3rd year and beyond though she's probably over the "wow!" factor by now. Just be urself xDD. Ask her about things. Say I think "this" is interesting, did you learn about that? Talk other shit too. Anybody in university is so fed up with the typical "oh hurr durr what's ur major? Science is cool!!" talk. Talk about hobbies or some shit idk.

Source: neuroscience student
>>
Nobody likes a showoff, and she'll be able to tell you dont know anything except entry level garbage.

How about instead, asking her to explain what she does?
>>
>>7666049
You could start by realizing the reason people go on dates and do social things is to get away from the mundane things in their lives, like school and work.

But hey, if you want to spend the whole date reminding her that she really should get back to studying for that final or drafting a lab report go ahead.
>>
>>7666049
no
>>
"But like, from a neurological point of view, is your red the same as my red ?"
>>
>>7666049
Are you stupid? Ask her to explain it to you! Passionate people love to explain their field of study to laymen. This is literally perfect for you. You can learn everything from her and you'll never have unstructured time with her, which is great for social cohesion!
>>
>>7666049
You need to figure out something that interests you, not her, or you will not be able to connect with her. So say she is researching something like scaffolding proteins or astrocytes or something, there is no way that you'll just get what that is unless you refer to what my colleague said about Kandel's 5th edition book, that's what most neuroscientists use anyways. But what i think would be a good strategy is you yourself find something about how the brain that is interesting to you, perhaps depression? or alcoholism? or drug abuse? or any other serious topic in neuroscience that relates to YOU and study the shit out of just that ONE topic. You will impress her by knowing the shit out of that topic, as long as you keep that topic relating to not only her field, but also the field around it. For instance if you choose "addiction" and you study addiction, a major component will be understanding the basal ganglia and motivation and dopamine, sure, but you will also need to tie that in with propoganda, and how its portrayed by the media and how society influences it, etc etc, this will trully impress any young woman
>>
>>7666049
I'm doing a PhD in neuro at Princeton, and TA classes there, so I can speak for my students at least. If she's premed, she likely doesn't really give a shit about neuroscience, so don't focus on it. Talk to about how much you like helping people and making enormous amounts of money.
>>
>>7666049

Are you daft?

Ask her to explain neuroscience topics to you, you imbecile, you have absolutely zero chance of impressing her with your neuroscience knowledge. Ask her QUESTIONS. "Why does this work?" "How does this work?"

Furthermore: What are you good at? Impress her with your actual skills, especially if they're complementary to hers.

>source: me, female neuroscientist
>>
>>7667831

You clearly don't know much about MIT
>>
>>7667831
From direct experience, no. Postdoc in my lab did his PhD there and according to him the premeds there aren't any different however. Genuine intellectual interest has pretty gone the way of the dodo, including at elite colleges.
>>
Why not learn it from her instead? It'll be more interesting. You'll also look more sincere since you admitted you know nothin of neuro.
>>
>>7667831
agree. premed could give two fucks about anything else than making cash. science is a means to a ends.
>>
File: 1418934675937.jpg (6KB, 190x168px) Image search: [Google]
1418934675937.jpg
6KB, 190x168px
>>7666049
>wasting entry into MIT on some faggot neuroscience pleb shit
>>
>>7666422

This.

Anon, if you're into gaming, are you impressed when some girl runs up to you and starts yelling about Legend of Zelda and Fallout 3? Worse yet, when she doesn't seem to know a lot about either of them? Will you find anything that she has to say on the topic terribly interesting?

She's probably so far out of your league in neuroscience that your first semester-tier stuff will bore the shit out of her in a hurry. And god help you if you put on airs (deliberately or otherwise) that you're her equal on the subject.

Your best bet is to just listen and ask questions. If you study so that you can keep up somewhat, stay humble until the day comes that you're employable as a neuroscientist.
>>
>>7666049
>>7667831
As an MIT neuroscience student (not premed), this is correct, premed neuro is literally the slacker major. You >>7667845 have no idea what you're talking about.

Read Bears textbook, super easy stuff, and you'll at least understand what she's talking about.
>>
>>7666049

kant go wrong with philosophy of mind OP
>>
>>7666049
I read this in high school and really enjoyed it.

http://www.amazon.com/Synaptic-Self-How-Brains-Become/dp/0142001783
>>
>>7666049
Ask her about theory of mind. In a less direct sense.
>>
>>7666049
don't even bother trying to talk to her about any of that gay nerd shit, smart chicks want the same exact thing that normal chicks do: a big penis that fills her up cooter hole. Think about it, OP, just because you have a 150 IQ does that make you any less attracted to tits?

If you really want to win her heart OP, just whip it out and she'll figure out the rest. NOTE: will not work if you're a dicklet
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.