[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /sci/, I need a little bit of help. I'm trying to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Project 3.png (38KB, 470x236px) Image search: [Google]
Project 3.png
38KB, 470x236px
Hello /sci/, I need a little bit of help. I'm trying to teach myself differential equations because I'm out of school due to financial reasons. I'm working on the pdf below.

http://www.cengage.com/math/book_content/0495108243_zill/projects_archive/de8e/Project3.pdf

My question is how I would approach solving this ODE with Euler's method. I've attached a picture of the actual problem to hopefully make it easier for you.
>>
My initial value is y(L)=0, so do I just move backwards in steps of L (i.e. 1L, 0.75L, 0.50L, 0.25L, 0L) and make my Euler table that way?
>>
>>7665323
I don't know Euler's method so I won't try to teach it, but this is how I would solve your equation (I rename your ratio R):

[math] y'= \frac{ y-R \sqrt{ x^2+y^2 }}{x} [/math]
[math] y'= \frac{y}{x} - R \sqrt{ 1+ \left( \frac{y}{x} \right)^2 } [/math]

sub in u=y/x,

[math] x u' + u = u - R \sqrt{ 1+ u^2 } [/math]
[math] x u' = - R \sqrt{ 1+ u^2 } [/math]

which is separable.
>>
>>7665396
So I would just divide each side by the square root term and by x, and then integrate each side? Then, I could solve for R by re-substituting y/x for u?
>>
>>7665490
Exactly. Don't forget to use your boundary condition to find the constant of integration.
>>
>>7665498
Okay, cool! And I use my initial value that y(L)=0, correct? Could I also say that y(0)=0, since I know that I'll be at the same vertical position once I reach the "opposite shore" as I was when I started? Then I could go from 0 to L is a positive fashion.

You've helped a lot. Thank you. I think that this will set me on the right track for the rest of the problem.
>>
They have removed t from the equation. Euler's method (I think) would be to choose a value for dx, say -1/N, set x=w y=0, then update

ynew = y + (dy/dx) dx
xnew = x + dx

Here dy/dx is the right hand side of (3) in the book. After N updates, you will get x=0, and you can see how close y is to zero. You would need to run this many times, with different values of v_r/v_s, and maybe different values of N, until you get close to the kayaks.

Solving explicitly might be easier!
>>
>>7665505
This is a first order differential equation, which means that you'll only pick up one constant of integration (i.e. you only need one boundary condition, which is given). Since you are integrating with u and x, it is probably better to change your BC to u(L)=y(L)/L=0.

You can either:
>Perform an indefinite integral and then sub in your BC to get the constant you pick up.
>Perform the integral on the LHS from 0 to u and on the RHS from L to x.

You should try to understand the latter one, you might be in the mindset that you have to integrate between constant points (given that you suggested 0 to L), but your limits are allowed to be variables.

>You've helped a lot. Thank you.
My pleasure, hope your finances improve anon, night night.
>>
>>7665508
I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean. How do I arrive at -1/N as dx? Is it just an arbitrary value?

>>7665515
Thank you so much. I'm definitely making progress using your nudges. Sleep well, Anon.
>>
>>7665704
Yes, arbitrary step. I think it should be -w/N instead of 1/N though. Euler is for a numerical solution though, not an explicit one.

In the end, it seems as long as you swim faster than the river flows, you will make it.
>>
>>7665732
Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to as far as logic goes. Now I just need to prove it mathematically. I think I see what you're saying about the changing steps, based on what you're saying and what my book is saying. I think I'll just plug it into a math program and let it run a couple thousand iterations for me. Thank you so much!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.