[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

?sci/ What makes the universe consistent? as much chaos as there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_mz7tq8faYH1qibnz5o1_1280.jpg (110KB, 849x312px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mz7tq8faYH1qibnz5o1_1280.jpg
110KB, 849x312px
?sci/

What makes the universe consistent? as much chaos as there is. i mean on a miniature scale have accident or 'glitches' occurred?
>>
self-organizing system, life-like
glitches do occur but are not 'fatal'
>>
>>7664460
>What makes the universe consistent?

Allah
>>
>>7664472
<citation needed>
>>
>>7664460
The universe is consistent with however we observe it, you retarded armchair philosopher.
>>
>>7664460
Why do people not capitalize "I"? Seriously, you capitalized the start of your sentences for fuck's sake. I is a proper noun, capitalize it.
>>
Probably not what you're thinking of when you say "glitches", but on the quantum level small deviations from the clasically expected behavior are permitted (see babby's double slit, path integral formulation of qm/qft, etc). Feel free to call those glitches next time you're stoned.
>>
>>7664617
I am* a proper noun.
>>
>>7664787
"I" is* a proper noun.
>>
>>7664460
The Tunguska event was a glitch in our matrix
>>
>>7664790
grammar nazis on /sci/, and i thought trolling on /v/ would be bad
>>
>>7664617
this is 4chan, moron. not everyone has to have 100% perfect grammar and spelling the entite fucking time you autist.
>>
>>7665059
entire*
>>
File: 1439432620975.jpg (23KB, 303x225px) Image search: [Google]
1439432620975.jpg
23KB, 303x225px
>>7665059
>>
>>7664460
What would it even mean for the universe to be inconsistent or undefined?

If, in the event of a contradictory or undefined situation, the universe chooses randomly from several possible outcomes, then it's still consistent and defined - you simply have a universal law in the form of "In X situation, Y and Z happen randomly."

And if it always picks one of the possible outcomes, then you still have a consistent and defined law, sort of by definition.

I could continue, with increasingly weird edge cases, but the sum of it is that a "contradictory" universe doesn't even make sense. If it exists, it's not contradictory. If it violates a fundamental law, then it was never a fundamental law in the first place.
>>
hey im new on /sci/ and i've got a question that bothered me most of my life.

why did life start at all?

i picture a few elements in the begining of the universe, then fusing into heavier ones. But when do they start combining and working together for survival or whatever life is?
>>
>>7664460
>what makes the universe consistent?
Manifest symmetries
>>
>>7665062
>>7665059

lol faggot
>>
>>7665818
life didn't start for any purpose. At first, it happened by accident. And ever since that point, it has been a part of the chemical programming of all organisms to grow and reproduce. Eventually, behaviors developed that could increase the probabilities of an organism growing an reproducing. These included kin and social behaviors. There is no meaning. Not to sound like some edgy hipster, but meaning is a concept developed by humans. Life existed for billions of years without ever considering why. It's just how it is.
>>
>>7665848
>this is how everything works

yeah but where did you pull all that bullshit from?
you say it as if you were an enlightned prophet that has been living since the beggining of times
>>
>>7665892
I'm a biology major, dipshit. That's basic evolutionary theory. No, we don't know for sure how the first unicellular organisms came about, but we have clear evidence of evolution through the fossil record and we can compare extant species to ancestral species that may still be around (and their descendants) and we can observe clear shifts in behavioral evolution. Behavioral evolution is a legitimate field with lots of evidence.
>>
>>7665894
So your studies, as well as your second post, are related to evolution, a branch of science based completely on "things having a meaning". Literally every specie evolving is based on its predecesors, they have a reason to be like they are.

Thats the complete opposite of the bunch of unfunded bulshit you said on your first post.

>life didn't start for any purpose
Citation needed
> At first, it happened by accident.
Citation needed
>And ever since that point, it has been a part of the chemical programming of all organisms to grow and reproduce
Citation needed
> Eventually, behaviors developed that could increase the probabilities of an organism growing an reproducing. These included kin and social behaviors.
Citation needed
>>
>>7665894
Also if things happen in the universe for no reason, but the bubble of reality where mankind is located is based completely on a science that relies on past discoveries and unbreakable laws where thinks always happen in a way and for a reason... where do you draw the line? when/where do things stop happening for a reason and just become a whim of the universe?
>>
>>7665904
Natural selection isn't intelligent design. There is no apparent meaning to the Universe.
>>
>>7665914
There's always a reason, but not necessarily a purpose. Purpose implies planning.
>>
>>7665940
ok this is a lot better.
>>
>>7665940
I'd more say purpose implies perception. And from that it implies desire and intention.

Kind of just different words for the same thing you said, but also not.
>>
>>7665945
Your post implies stupidity.
>>
Impetus.
>>
>>7665955
Okay.
>>
>>7665955
memes
>>
>>7665904
gr8 b8 m8. I r8 8/8
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.