[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would Einstein think of IQ tests? His ideas of intelligence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

What would Einstein think of IQ tests? His ideas of intelligence and genius seems to me a contradiction of IQ.
>>
He'd probably say something along the lines of "They can't measure imagination" or someshit
>>
>>7664359
but isn't it true?
IQ tests can measure conformation, not innovation.
>>
If you look at all the people who made the most amazing discoveries in the natural sciences and math over the years most of them are geniuses but not all of them are polymath super scientists. Take a look at people with IQ's over 200 today like Terence Tao who won gold at IMO at age 13 or whatever. He has not made critical contributions to mathematics but he is clearly one of the brightest technical minds currently on the planet. Lots of what is responsible for innovation is luck, Einstein's image is popular because he was both a technical and innovative genius and he had cool hair and wrinkles.
>>
>>7664346
>look at people with IQ's over 200 today like Terence Tao who won gold at IMO at age 13
Child prodigies are a poor example of high-IQ since their high score is largely due to early development of intelligence, not unusually high raw intelligence.
If a 5 year old were as smart as the average 20 year old, their IQ would be very high, but that doesn't make them any smarter than the average /b/-tard.
>>
>>7664367
yep IQ tests don't mean anything!
>>
File: ebb.jpg (33KB, 512x350px) Image search: [Google]
ebb.jpg
33KB, 512x350px
>>7664346
IQ measures machine intelligence. Einstein was more of an architect than a calculator. He had excellent builders who cooperated with him.
>>
>>7664378
His IQ test as a child was between 220 and 230 so I'm not sure what you are saying. It's not like the factors measured by IQ suddenly decreased in him as he got older, and I didn't make any generalization about child prodigies I was just talking about Terence Tao.
>>
>>7664385

What do you mean by that? Like was he the ideas man and others done the calculations for him or something?
>>
>>7664391
At risk of going into pop science buzzword war, he was both an architect and a calculator.
>>
>>7664389
>His IQ test as a child was between 220 and 230

IQ tests didn't exist when Einstein was a child and 220 is not a valid score anyway. Where the fuck are you getting your info?
>>
>>7664396
mem'd
>>
>>7664389
>It's not like the factors measured by IQ suddenly decreased in him as he got older

Unfortunately, that's precisely what it's like. I'm looking through my notes for the paper, but Bouchard has a relatively recent one out that indicates that the variance in IQ due to hereditary causes is 0.22 in childhood, and raises to 0.84 in adulthood. Hence, a child may look like a genius in childhood, and grow up to be merely smart, whilst a talented student may grow up to be a wunderkind, or fall back to average. A slow student may even see his IQ score raise to within average range, or fall below the pathological cutoff at 70. It's why I don't put much stock in childhood IQ tests. The tests are much more trustworthy when administered as adults.
>>
>>7664409
Ah here we go, found it-

Bouchard TJ Jr (2013) The Wilson effect: the increase in heritability of IQ with age. Twin Res Hum Genet 16:923–930. doi:10.1017/ thg.2013.54
>>
Is Einstein the most overrated Scientist in history?
>>
>>7664413
Here, have an abstract.

Abstract
Ronald Wilson presented the first clear and compelling evidence that the heritability of IQ increases with age. We propose to call the phenomenon ‘The Wilson Effect’ and we document the effect diagrammatically with key twin and adoption studies, including twins reared apart, that have been carried out at various ages and in a large number of different settings. The results show that the heritability of IQ reaches an asymptote at about 0.80 at 18–20 years of age and continuing at that level well into adulthood. In the aggregate, the studies also confirm that shared environmental influence decreases across age, approximating about 0.10 at 18–20 years of age and continuing at that level into adulthood. These conclusions apply to the Westernized industrial democracies in which most of the studies have been carried out.

>>7664414
No. You're simply completely retarded, my simple friend.
>>
Einstein hated IQ tests. He thought they were elitist in nature and never can factor in the imagination and creative thinking. Plus he always questioned how do you measure intelligence and what is intelligence. He wasn't the only genius to question the test.
>>
>>7664428
citation needed.
>>
>>7664367
there you go. They also don't measure your work ethic, which, as a "le smart but le lazy XDDD" person, I believe to be more important than intelligence.
>>
>>7664367
IQ tests measure how good you are at IQ tests . any correlation between them and intelligence really cant be scientifically proven mainly because we dont know what intelligence is , like we dont have an unambiguous non circular definition of it so you cant really compare poeple's intelligence.

IQ scores probably do correlate with what we call intelligence in some way but like everything in behavioral science\psychology theres probably thousands of other factors including genetics, upbringing, personal experience.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.