[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /sci/, I always hear the argument that intelligence, specially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: puff.png (196KB, 342x359px) Image search: [Google]
puff.png
196KB, 342x359px
hey /sci/, I always hear the argument that intelligence, specially IQ test results, is more a matter of economics and privileged birth than anything else. I can see that but on an anecdotal level I've always wondered about myself.

I was born poor in Southern WV, in the late 80s to a household that's income was mostly from a parental disability check(step parent) and of course food stamps. Income was about $500 monthly, so about $6000 yearly gross income.

I was a lazy shit early in my schooling and so by turn of events ended up needing IEP plan. For those who don't know that's an individualized educational assessment plan that consists of, among other things, a WISC (Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children) test payed for by the board of education every three years.

My scores were always around 140 verbal and 125 Visual for a total of 130.

Anyway, how does one account for such high scores in such non conducive circumstances. Is there any research done on the subject?

What environmental factors contribute to intelligence?
>>
> What environmental factors contribute to intelligence?

I truly believe intelligence partly comes from genetics, partly from social environment and the amount of challenges you had to go through.
>>
>>7659239
>household that's income
>140 verbal
Okay.

Also, if you were one of the older students in your academic year, you obviously have more time to develop and will get a higher score by virtue of that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15490760

Link related
>>
>>7659257

I was born in May.

But i didn't get an IEP plan until 2nd grade.
>>
>>7659268
What are the cutoff dates for your academic years? Were you old or young for your class?
>>
>>7659273

entered into school at age 5 (remember this specifically because of a calendar in our kindergarten class when they were explaining years/dates to us) and graduated having been 18 for less than a month.
>>
>>7659281
I don't know Murican school systems. Basically, here in Britbon(en)gland, the cut offs are something like 1st september to 31st august (not sure exactly). If you are born 1st september you are the oldest in the year, if you are born 31st august you are the youngest in the year. So if being born in May is the equivalent of being born in september, then obviously you should have better results than your younger peers.

Effectively, someone born in september is almost an entire year older than someone born in august, which has a big effect growing up

There was a pair of twins who were born close to midnight, one before midnight, one after. So they were born on different days, and they just so happened to be born on the cutoff points for school. So one is in the year above the other. It'll be interesting to see how they are effected by this, since (if they are monozygotic) they will be genetically identical
>>
>>7659281
>>7659386
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2714210/Twins-face-different-academic-years.html
>>
>>7659281
Just looked it up, apparently it's september first in West Virginia. In which case, I have no idea why you got an IQ of 130 total. Firstly, if it's based on standard deviations of 15, then only 1/44 people get 130. Perhaps you are just lucky

SD 15, 130 = 1/44
SD 24, 130 = 1/9
SD 16, 130 = 1/33

15, 16 and 24 are the three standard deviations used by each of the major three tests
>>
>>7659409

That's interesting although I'm skeptical of an academic answer because for the most part I was shit in school(discipline,truancy), although I read quite a bit and basically built a library from, well, stolen library books. But that's a chicken and egg sort of thing.

>>7659250

genetics might make sense if recessive allele or multi point (epigenetic? is that it) factors are at play. Or maybe infidelity(joking).
>>
File: Kallikak_Family_caricature.png (513KB, 461x644px) Image search: [Google]
Kallikak_Family_caricature.png
513KB, 461x644px
>>7659239
>I was born poor in Southern WV, in the late 80s to a household that's income was mostly from a parental disability check(step parent) and of course food stamps. Income was about $500 monthly, so about $6000 yearly gross income.

Get out of here Kallikak. We don't want your types around here.
>>
>>7659737
kek
>>
>>7659239
Any set of data is going to have a few outliers; you may be one of them.

There are a wide variety of environmental factors that have been associated with intelligence, including nutrition, maternal age, peer groups, etc.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environment_and_intelligence
>>
>>7659975

yeah, but "outliers" is not a satisfying explanation for mechanisms at work.

I've done a fair bit of reading on the subject but can't find an explanation that seems to fit.

Just really curious about this as of late.
>>
Prenatal diets, pregnant metabolic efficiency (exercise during pregancy helps boost this), flinstone's vitamins aiding in things like neurogenesis, exercise also aiding in neurogenesis (children who run a lot).
>>
>>7660044
Oh but intermittent fasting (16-24 hrs without food) boosts metabolic efficiency like nothing else. It's also conducive to the production of BDNFs or BRAIN DERIVED NEUROTROPHIC FACTORS, which cause neurogenesis. So if your mom'd been doing some form of intermittent fasting during her pregancy, having to live off of $6000 per year, it's likely you would've experienced the same circumstances apt towards BDNF synthesis.
>>
>>7660051

hahahahahahahahahaha

I'm sorry

>intermittent fasting

Trip to the fridge probably proceeded very slowly at times for her......

You'd get the humor if you saw my mother.
>>
>>7660067
Explain
>>
your brain refuses to accept basic info on things you dont find interesting or threatening/hate

its how the brain is rigged formed over most likely countless species and handed down to you. if you like it you remember it because it taste good for instance and if you fear or hate something you remember it because it taste bad or it hurts you

problem is some stupid shits dont find any relevant info interesting and they dont like any subject in school so they are doomed. they can tell you every word to a nelly song but cant tell you which is bigger a atom or a molecule

a culling of the masses is needed. a mensa approved standardized IQ test should be administered and any who dont get at least 105 should be euthanized
>>
Privileged birth? No, no, IQ tests test specific things, mostly various forms of pattern recognition (linguistic, numerical, visual). Even though the goal of an IQ is to be unlearnable, pattern recognition at a more abstract level is very much subject to environmental factors (i.e. they can be learned, which means people with better childhood educations perform better on childhood tests and obviously there is a strong correlation between economic status and childhood education).

But that's not even the key argument. "Intelligence" in all practical definitions cannot be reduced to something so linear. You can't reduce creativity, ingenuity, and virtuosity to recognizing visual rotations and number series. There are correlations between these pattern recognition tests and ones ability to pick up on abstract concepts, but even if you ignore that the correlation is not as strong as 1960s pop psychologists would have you believe, this information is only relevant in early childhood. Past that the factors that go along with success of any kind (including academic) are far more complicated.
>>
>>7660073
fat
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.