[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is the Messi of the math/cs/science world? The one who consistently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: erdos.jpg (97KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
erdos.jpg
97KB, 1600x900px
Who is the Messi of the math/cs/science world? The one who consistently deliver impressive results that others can hardly pull off and his/her legacy will be remembered the most when he/she is gone?
Excuse me for being ignorant, I'm an engineer trying to expand my horizons.

From the top of my head I hear the followings names often, don't know how they rank

Terrence Tao
Andrew Wiles
Tim Gowers
David Eppstein
Used to read Scott Aaronson's blog but he went full retard with pc feminist shit and had to put on ignore
>>
>>7653421
there will never be another einstein, computers are doing everything now

then skynet will come and, puff, donzo
>>
Terrence Tao. Guy is an absolute freak.
>>
>>7653433
witnessed

maybe some teams? the guys at the LHC? The ones putting a rover on the Mars?
>>
Shinichi Mochuzuki
>>
>>7653438
I wonder what it's like to be as smart as Terry. Can he keep more concepts in his head at a time, or does he process things faster? Or both?
>>
>>7653614
>Shinichi Mochuzuki

isn't he memetier?

also, who is the best female?
>>
File: Richard_Taylor_(mathematician).jpg (20KB, 400x288px) Image search: [Google]
Richard_Taylor_(mathematician).jpg
20KB, 400x288px
In number theory Richard Taylor has definitely consistently made top-level results

>numerous breakthrough results in the theory of automorphic forms, including the Taniyama–Weil conjecture, the local Langlands conjecture for general linear groups, and the Sato–Tate conjecture

Any of these one their own would be career-defining
>>
Turing
Godel
Church
Kleene
Old school Math/CS guys
>>
Deligne, Grothendieck (he's gone but I'm sure he will be remembered for a loong time), Serre
>>
>>7653421
Yeah I'm pretty sure right now its got to be Terry right? He just annihilates all fields at once
>>
>>7654600
nice ones
>>
>>7653421
Alfred Tarski is probably one of the most prolific and diverse mathematicians/logicians of the 20th century. Most people would probably rank Godel and Grothendiek higher though. These days, Vladimir Voevodsky is doing some pretty interesting stuff.
>>
Elon musk. The fucker behind tesla, SpaceX, PayPal, solar city, and some other shit. He's planning to get a million people on Mars, and the annoying part is he's going to do it.
>>
>>7655002
except for he is a businessman you are right
>>
Perelman
>>
>>7653855
>females
>>
>>7655104
virginal loser spotted
>>
>>7655002
Elon Musk isn't much related to math or CS.
>>
>>7653875
He is very sexy, too. what a luscious beard.
>>
>>7653421
>2015
>thinking the best of the best don't get disappeared to some government facility to work in obscurity.
>>
>>7655146
female spotted
>>
>>7653855

Why don't you read his papers and decide for yourself?

http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/papers-english.html
>>
>>7653421
CHOMSKY
H
O
M
S
K
Y
>>
>>7656566
>implying they don't become truNEETs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Perelman
>>
>>7655092
>>7655263
Except he has a degree in physics and is an expert in every technology field that he is involved in.
>>
>>7656623
Interesting. I've thought a lot about how I'd handle any kind of notoriety. I already know I can't handle it for very long, it makes life something awful and you're predisposed to become something awful by extension.

What if he'll "solve" it.
>>
>>7656630
>expert
That's not true, anon. Also his Space X company isn't well run or staffed by brilliant engineers and scientists. They don't know how to lift a rocket, and only NASA has those engineers. Well NASA, and the three big defense contractors.
>>
>>7656639
It's... a bit more complex than that.

I liked this documentary about him. Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng1W2KUHI2s

Subs are shit though, but what can you do.
>>
>>7656642
You're retarded

Try getting a job there.
>>
>>7656647
I used to work there. Its not a cool company. Its staffed by morons. They don't have a lot of engineers with masters or PE. They have "engineers" with AS.
>>
>No Witten

are mathfags so elitist? hes god a fields medal for christs sake

you think you virgins can come up with m-theory just because you're more pure?
>>
>>7656650
Why is virgin such a goto insult around here?
>>
>>7656655
Because girls can't into STEM, so they shitpost STEM-related boards.
>>
>>7656655
Because society places expectations on men to be socially and sexually competent, since this is an important indicator of a man's utility in the eyes of women. Women are the dictators of morality and social norms, and since they therefore deem virginity to be so distasteful due to what it implies, it can be used as a potent insult.
>>
>>7656650
>Witten
Because he's a physicist moreso than a mathematician
>>
>>7656661
it is STEAM now
>>
>>7657124
Fuck off.
>>
>>7656645

That was actually a good documentary. I had no idea he had such an elegant solution, I fell for what was in the US papers, that the 100 page work was the entire proof, instead of the proof only being a small corollary of the greater theorem.
>>
>>7656649

I've heard about that. What AS can get you into SpaceX?
>>
>>7654719
Thethe
Nnot in any sense of the word. He's incredible with analysis but he proves shit of limited knterest. Of coufse he keeps talkjng about navier stokes and computation, but the ojtput can't be compared with pasta mthematicians.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.