/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If gender can be changed in mice by silencing a gene and ins

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

If gender can be changed in mice by silencing a gene and inserting chemicals, why haven't we don't it to humans already?

http://www.sciencealert.com/brain-gender-is-more-fluid-than-originally-thought-research-reveals
>>
>>7652663
ethics, and the fact that doing it in mice doesnt mean they have figured it out, or even can, do it in humans.
>>
>>7652694
What exactly are the dangers of doing this to humans?
>>
>>7652702
Pick a bad genetic mutation...any of em. That's the risk you run.
>>
Would there be any transsexual interested in the change ? Or would they be loyal to their gender and not get the change at all.
>>
>>7652663
Hint: It's the same reason gene therapy has not been successfully used on humans for far less controversial things.

Not only would you have to silence the gene throughout the whole brain - which conventional methods can't do - you'd also have to have near-100% accuracy to make sure you didn't accidentally silence any other important genes - which we don't have either.

We can really only effectively do gene therapy on embryos right now, and we don't do that either because the official ethical opinion on that is "It's freaky and you'd better be damn sure you know what you're doing" and we don't yet.
>>
>>7652663
We don't know how the point of consciousness inside the body would react.
We have a fairly shitty sense for the balance of things. Male and female dichotomy being one of the biggest.
We're not smart enough to fix any problems unless we know what the problem is. Most of the time the problem is our egos took something the wrong way. That always ripples out into a bullshit tsunami.
>>
>>7652663
>If gender can be changed
I thought gender was a social construct?
>by silencing a gene and inserting chemicals
I thought gender had nothing to do with genetics?

Checkmate faggots
>>
why would you? for what purpose?
>>
>>7653217
Transsexuals might want to considered this,
>>
>>7652991
This.
>>
>>7653793
i'm trans and i wouldn't be interested. i mean it isn't easy being trans but it's just part of who i am. other people may think of it is being a fault of the brain that should ideally be corrected, but for me that's just who i am and i don't ser any problem with it. i wouldn't want to be cured or whatever because that would be a fundamentally different person as far as i'm concerned. some trans people do wish there was a cure, though, and i torally respect that and hope that option becomes available, but imo it should only be an option for those who can't cope with being trans and want an end of suffering, and not something that should be forced on people or seen sern as the preferable treatment option
>>
>>7652711
Am precisely that technique right now is a meme dream, we obviously don't know if we reached technological wall on that aspect and we will never be able to push it towards sci-fi level.. or we're still in total darkness and maybe one day the memes will be reality.. but of course picture that in a distant.. DISTANT future.. where hundreds of new scientific models would build a tower which hosts in top the pseudo-potential.
>>
>>7652991
it's a multi-faceted thing. there are biological aspects of sex that we often use in association with cultural aspects of gender. people can have issues relating to the sex and sexual characteristics of their body seeming wrong for them, or with the way society perceives them in terms of gender and how their expression of the cultural aspects of gender, like dress, styling, mannerisms, etc. for many people who are trans both of those are issues for them. gender is essentially an abstraction of more complex things relating to our bodies and identities, one which is defined more by culture and society than anything else.
>>
>>7653832
I suspected trans people may not want to get the treated preferring their real gender. How about doing it to babies? The argument for this is that trans people are likely to commit suicide out of all groups of people even more so than gays and bi.
>>
>>7653916
>doing it to babies
how would you know they're trans
>>
>>7653925
brain scan
>>
>>7652711
>We can really only effectively do gene therapy on embryos
gene therapy on adults when?
>>
>>7653927
I think the world has already had enough experience with the results of tampering with people's bodies, and lives, without their consent.

That people even entertain this nonsense is disappointing.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 360x454px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 360x454px
>>7653936
yeah.
>>
>>7653936
Should I be held a criminal for suggesting changing the gender of a baby to prevent being one of the most marginalize groups of people who are likely to commit suicide?
>>
i'm mtf and it's really hard to decide what I'd do. I think being raised as the wrong gender (or whatever you want to call it) really fucked with my head causing a whole lot of other shit. Right now I honestly just want to die having gone through male puberty, 10 years of HRT, legal shit, and several operations. I still feel like a freak, even if that's not what other people see.

I don't think this would alleviate that at all other than maybe making me attracted to women (which i'm not now)

At this point I'm basically just waiting to die, which is something I believe we should have the right to choose. Only thing keeping me going is my Christianity and faith, since realistically there's nothing that will ever come and make me feel better
>>
>>7653946
I wouldn't outright criminalize you, but I do think the idea is that your stance would be generally acknowledged to be myopic and based on knee jerk reactions about preventing suffering in away that has little regard for collateral damage and probably wouldn't pan out to begin with.
>>
>>7653863
back to tumblr
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.