[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

With the rise of DNA sequencing facilities for the public like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: genome_sequencing.jpg (166KB, 600x346px) Image search: [Google]
genome_sequencing.jpg
166KB, 600x346px
With the rise of DNA sequencing facilities for the public like 23andme has anyone here bit the bullet and checked out their raw data? If you did have your raw data would you even want it looked at?

Also just curious if there are any geneticists here as I looked at mine and I had some mutations that popped up that are supposedly in very important areas. Such as:
MAO A R297R rs6323 T +/+
COMT V158M rs4680 AA +/+
VDR Bsm rs1544410 TT +/+
COMT H62H rs4633 TT +/+
>>
>>7652621
Also opinion on the ethics of passing such genetics on if I have a daughter since male wouldn't inherit.
>>
>>7652621
Having a daughter would be more ethical than having a son with these mutations. While the COMT muts would only affect a female its probably the case that the mother would have non mutated genes that would compensate for the mutations present. Also 23andme only does extremely basic shit so the data is most likely reliable. Also males would inherit. Look up x linked diseases in males. All of these genes (except the last, I didn't. check that one) are x linked
>>
>>7652621
Also, you wouldn't want the info released. One of the guys who worked on the human genome project switched a sample containing donor DNA with his own and got caught when geneticists were using basic tools (I think ncbi) to look at some of his genes
>>
>>7652656
I was told the mao/comt would not pass down to a son only a daughter. I guess the guy was wrong. Going off of those 4 mutations are there anything I should avoid? Was going to get an adderall script for school but he told me to stay away from all amphetamines since i lack the enzyme to properly break them down.
>>
Is there any kind of kit you can order and perform your own analysis (accepting that it will likely tell you a lot less)? Not 100% comfortable sending DNA samples off to somewhere to be filed.
>>
>>7652621
Wtf how do you interpret these results
>>
>>7652701
Major in biology or have a friend that is a geneticist.
>>
>>7652673
there is ( http://www.nec.com/en/global/solutions/biometrics/products/portable_dna_analyzer.html ) but it will be expensive since DNA analysis requires lab equipment to seperate the DNA and 23andme is the cheapest because they share some info about you
>>
>>7652621
Not a geneticist but a bioinformatician working in genomics here.

23andme don't do DNA sequencing, just genotyping by microarray. They don't sequence your genome (which would cost at least $1000 and ideally result in an exhaustive list of variants specific to you) but only screen it for a pre-selected set of SNPs.

SNPedia (http://www.snpedia.com) is a decent resource for non-experts to find links to articles related to specific variants. Keep in mind that generally the effects of a single SNP are quite small, and many statistically significant (in a population genetics sense) effects may be hard to observe in a specific individual. I'd say fact that only a subset of existing SNPs is being screened may magnify the perceived effect of each individual marker on your genotype.

I might write a slightly more exhaustive reply later when I have the time.
>>
>>7652668

you should stay away from them in all cases imho, just smoke weed lol.

doesnt make you any more or less efficient, but happier.

>>7652749
I'm only a student but
does it not also depend on when and where the sample was taken? isn't this like, the first huge factor?

this sites seem so fishy to me, how accurate are the results?

I'd also would like to know if cellular automata like conways game of live can be used to simulate or prognose dna interactions?

Maybe even use actual data of the person to set parameters for the code, not having to start off a "neutral" environment?

hell I don't even know if that makes sense but shit I'm so fascinated by science for the last years
>>
>>7652668
If you lacked the enzyme to properly break them down. you would have died quite a long time ago of neurotoxicity.

Your body might be less efficient at it, but who gives a fuck. Having less efficiency, or speed, is strictly relative. If you were part of a population where the majority of people were that way, you'd be normal, and your attributes would only be relevant if able to be directly framed in the context of disease, vulnerability, or dysfunction.
>>
>>7652621
until they actually fully sequence genomes it's just a waste of money t b h
single genes may increase the likelyhood of strings of genes but in the end it's the long gene sequences spread throughout the genome that effects traits
not gonna try and find it but some guy tested his dna on tons of different services and they all got mostly different results
>>
>>7652809

Where it was taken doesn't matter and when doesn't matter either if you kept the sample properly in ice until analysis.
>>
I was tempted but there's no law in my country against genetic discrimination, i.e. health insurance could say "fuck you" and deny me coverage/raise premiums because I have a certain genotype.
>>
>>7652621
Part of me is curious, but I probably wouldn't want to know. I've spent my life approaching it from a very top down perspective, and that's how it'll probably stay.

Visual snow is likely either genetic, or genetically predisposed, and it is heritable. If someone wanted to perform that kind of research, I might provide my genes under a pseudonym if anonymity isn't viable.
>>
>>7652749
anon, I'm studying genetics right now, but the book we're reading is a bit shite, would you recommend me some decent literature?
>>
>>7652874

Read OMIM.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.