[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the most cutting edge in cancer treatments? oncolytic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

what's the most cutting edge in cancer treatments?

oncolytic viruses?
gene therapy/editing?
something I haven't read about?

which one, in your opinion, shows the most promise, and why?
>>
I have no idea if it shows the most promise, but metallic nanoparticles are probably something you haven't heard of.

>grow hollow gold spheres to precise dimensions and therefore precise optical properties
>attach proteins that bind only to cancer cells
>inject and wait for to collect around tumors
>see tumors easily because they're loaded with gold
>shoot them infrared lasers that pass harmlessly through most flesh but are resonant with nanospheres, literally cooking the tumors and leaving the rest unharmed

It sounds implausible, but they're actually doing this shit.
>>
>>7652523
Why gold? And would they remove the spheres afterwards? Could you just have bi-yearly check-ups using this?
>>
>>7652529
because gold is really conductive.
>>
>>7652529
>Why gold?

Because of its optical properties.

>And would they remove the spheres afterwards?

No, the body gets rid of them on its own in a few days. And we're talking about a VERY small amount anyway.
>>
>>7652532
So would you already need a general idea on where the cancer is or would the nanos spread?
>>
>>7652539
no.
>>
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/sunnybrook-doctor-first-to-perform-blood-brain-barrier-procedure-using-focused-ultrasound-waves/article27171384/
>>
File: 1446707017535_1.jpg (3KB, 88x111px) Image search: [Google]
1446707017535_1.jpg
3KB, 88x111px
>>7652546
Answer the question anon
>>
>>7652551
I already did.
>>
inb4 weed
>>
>>7652554
Neither then? Would they just inject the nanos everywhere at once?
>>
well the idea is you'd inject them into your bloodstream and they'd get absorbed by the tumor, because they have tumor binding antibodies or soemthig.
>>
>tfw just back from a clinical propedeutics exam
>see this thread
>>
>>7652556
>Would they just inject the nanos everywhere at once?

You never have to inject anything "everywhere" since we already have a great built in system for circulating stuff everywhere. That's why when you get a flu shot, it's not just your shoulder that becomes immune to flu.
>>
>>7652570
So they would spread throughout the body. So you didn't answer the initial question.
>>
>>7652570
>>>7652556
>>Would they just inject the nanos everywhere at once?
>
>You never have to inject anything "everywhere" since we already have a great built in system for circulating stuff everywhere. That's why when you get a flu shot, it's not just your shoulder that becomes immune to flu.
kek
>>
>>7652516
pic related because people are getting to old anyway. there won't be a magic bullet for cancer any time soon.
>>
File: 254px-Morphin_-_Morphine.svg.png (13KB, 254x216px) Image search: [Google]
254px-Morphin_-_Morphine.svg.png
13KB, 254x216px
>>7652595
>>
>>7652589
>So you didn't answer the initial question.

What question?
>>
File: APVP_structure.png (9KB, 362x276px) Image search: [Google]
APVP_structure.png
9KB, 362x276px
>>7652597
>>
>>7652523
I've literally thought this up the other day, can you provide some sources on this? I'm mega interested.
>>
File: anticancer_molecule.png (43KB, 664x898px) Image search: [Google]
anticancer_molecule.png
43KB, 664x898px
>>
File: BEST_CANCER_CURE.png (39KB, 1280x723px) Image search: [Google]
BEST_CANCER_CURE.png
39KB, 1280x723px
>>
>>7652523
My university is actually one of the front runners on this - CWRU. I just attended a presentation on it. They use biotags to attach metamaterials (gold layered with silicate) to cells. When the infrared light hits the cells, the meta materials heat up fast and die. They use photonics to confine nanoships which can produce their own frequency of light to target individual cells. It's really fucking cool.
>>
>>7653309
>>7653309
Here's a link to the lab's website. I couldn't find anything specific on it, but the lead professor (Strangi) does a lot of cross discipline work with the biology dept, so there might be more there.
http://nanoplasm.case.edu/index.php/research/active-photonic-metamaterials
>>
>>7652516
worked as a dev for a bio/chem company, the biologics people were rage about proteins that can locate specific tumor cells (don't remember which types) and deliver some simple molecule as a payload to destroy it. They said it is better than chemo, because it only acts locally and not make your whole body shit in order to kill cancer.
>>
>>7653398
i think there was a reddit ama about this

had something to do with herpes and uh... placenta? i think?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.