[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to calculate how far from the surface is a line placed over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: tegaki.png (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
17KB, 400x400px
How to calculate how far from the surface is a line placed over a circle at its end?

The line's center is over the circle.

Let's asume I know the length of the line and the diameter of the circle.
>>
>line
>center
>length

Anyway could be clearer
>>
do a triple integral over the line
>>
>>7649771
Are you looking for the shortest length to the surface? Or does the green line need to be perpendicular to the pink one?
>>
>>7649831
The green line has to be perpendicular to the pink one and it has to be on the edge of the pink one. Sorry, my drawing skills are shit.
>>
>>7648518
literally this
>>
File: stuff.png (16KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
stuff.png
16KB, 500x500px
>>7649835
Well you realize some of the cases the pink line will overshoot the circle and the green line will never touch it. Otherwise you could use pic related to and solve for y.
>>
>>7649771

[eqn]l_{green}=r(1-\cos{\theta})[/eqn]
where [math]\theta[/math] is the angle between the vertical and the point where green intersects the circle.
>>
>>7649895

Shit, it worked in the preview.
>>
>>7649895
>>7649884

Thanks, but how can I find Theta if the only things I know are the diameter of the circle and L_{green}?
>>
>>7649898

I misunderstood the question then, thought you wanted the green length. What are you looking for, exactly?
>>
>>7649905
Shit nigga I'm thick as a brick, I got it.

The real life model is this: There's a small chain of aminoacids that can detect slightly curved membranes. The aminoacid chain is so small and the curvature is so slight, it's practically plane. Having an idea of how short the distance on the ends of the aminoacid chain to the membrane is will make for a good attention graber in my presentation, but I suck at math.
>>
>>7649898
Well, You just have to solve the pythagorean equation in >>7649884 for x, plug that into the cos(90-theta)=x/y, and then you can use tan(theta)=r/L as your second equation to find theta and L. I should note that the pic I made isn't exact, it's just an approximate because x, y, and the line tangent between them isn't exactly a right triangle. I'm sure you can adjust the equation with the law of sins or law of cosines but i'm too lazy
>>
>>7649911

I think I understand, do you want the green length in terms of the diameter and the pink length?
>>
File: stuff2.png (15KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
stuff2.png
15KB, 500x500px
>>7649932
Looks like OP's rekt by his project, but that doesn't mean we can't top discussing this. As I stated in the pic >>7649884 there are three equations and three unknown variables, so we can solve for y or the "green" length. So lets do that. [math] x^2 +2rx+r^2=L^2+r^2 [/math] or [math] x^2 +2rx-L^2 [/math] Applying the quadratic formula we get [math] x= \frac{-2r \pm \sqrt{4r^2+L^2} }{2} [/math] This will always be a plus, because we don't want negative answers as we're working with length. We know [math] \theta = tan^{-1} ( \frac{r}{L} ) [\math], so we can substitute this into our third equation and get [eqn] y= \frac{ \frac{-2r+ \sqrt{4r^2+L^2} }{2} }{cos(90-tan^{-1} ( \frac{r}{L} )) } [/eqn]This is just an approximation though, as shown by pic related. There is probably an infinite series that can describe this, or as I said a manipulation of the law of sines or cosines (although we may need one more variable we don't have to use that). Bumping to see if any other anons want to try this out for themselves.
>>
>>7650019
We know [math] \theta = tan^{-1} ( \frac{r}{L} ) [/math], so we can substitute this into our third equation and get [eqn] y= \frac{ \frac{-2r+ \sqrt{4r^2+L^2} }{2} }{cos(90-tan^{-1} ( \frac{r}{L} )) } [/eqn]
>>
>>7650019
I think I made an incorrect assumption that we have to use a plus and not minus for x. It turns out that the denominator of this >>7650026 is always gonna be negative for r>L (which must be true in order for the green line to touch the circle). So for y to be positive, the numerator must also be negative.
>>
>>7650064
After plugging in some numbers I realize that the plus sign actually IS correct. I guess y is negative but I don't know the significant of that qualitatively.
>>
File: gpD.png (11KB, 448x498px) Image search: [Google]
gpD.png
11KB, 448x498px
>>7650019

Seems like it, I'll answer the question I posed here: >>7649932

[math]g(p,D)=\frac{D}{2}-h[/math]

[math]h=\frac{D}{2}\cos{\theta}[/math]

[math]\cos{\theta}=\sqrt{1-\sin^2{\theta}}[/math]

[math]\sin{\theta}=\frac{p}{D}[/math]

[math]\cos{\theta}=\sqrt{1-\left( \frac{p}{D}\right) ^2}[/math]

[math]h=\frac{D}{2}\sqrt{1-\left( \frac{p}{D}\right) ^2}[/math]

[math]g(p,D)=\frac{1}{2}\left( D-D\sqrt{1-\left( \frac{p}{D}\right) ^2}\right) [/math]

[math]g(p,D)=\frac{1}{2}\left( D-\sqrt{D^2-p^2}\right) \blacksquare[/math]
>>
File: really guys.png (12KB, 543x383px) Image search: [Google]
really guys.png
12KB, 543x383px
really u guys
>>
for a circle at x,y=0,0 and a given r the relation says

x^2 + y^2 = r

you have x and r given, now what?
>>
>>7650097
Where are you getting sin(theta)=P/D from?

>>7650122
see
>>7649835
>>
>>7650168
>Where are you getting sin(theta)=P/D from?

sin(theta) = (p/2)/(D/2)= p/D
>>
>>7650178
>sin(theta) = (p/2)/(D/2)
I don't see it.
>>
File: sin_theta.png (15KB, 868x653px) Image search: [Google]
sin_theta.png
15KB, 868x653px
>>7650181

Hope this helps.
>>
>>7650188
Oh I got you, thanks that very clear.
>>
>>7649771
What the hell is going on in this thread? what with using thetas and shit?
if radius = r and line length = l then its literally just
[eqn] r - \sqrt{r^2 - \left(\frac{l}{2}\right)^2}[\eqn]
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.