[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

mathematically how do people end up winning the lottery? Do they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: imgres.jpg (15KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
15KB, 299x168px
mathematically how do people end up winning the lottery? Do they have more luck choosing numbers that statistically get drawn more?
>>
>>7648710
nah
if you'd run the statistics on a few million lotto draws they would all be pretty even
>>
>>7648714
sucks.
There must be a reason certain ones have been drawn more than others.
>>
>>7648717
No there doesn't.
Unless "random chance" is a reason.
>>
>>7648717
Numbers with a larger surface area will use more ink and thus have a higher mass than those with numbers that have a smaller surface area, therefore they have an infinitesimally larger chance of being drawn.
E.g. the 45 ball has a larger chance of being drawn than the 3 ball
>>
>>7648739
funny you say that; the most drawn numbers tend to be largely higher numbers
>>
How are enough combinations of numbers played for someone to win regularly? It seems someone hits the jackpot more than the theoretical statistic.
>>
OP you're confusing "_one_ person winning the lottery" with "_any_ person winning the lottery".

The chances of winning a "6 out of 49" game is 1/13983816, i.e pretty fucking small. But now imagine 13983816 people all buying a ticket, and phoning each other to all pick different combinations, then one person is bound to have the winning one, i.e the probability of ANY person winning is 1 in that scenario, even though for any individual person it's still 1/13983816.

So the important thing here is to consider what exact question is being asked.
>>
>>7648789
I guess the question is: what are the odds of numbers that are proven to have been drawn more frequently being a certainty again?
>>
>>7648810
That question is gibberish.
>>
>>7648826
I guess I just want to win the lotto and have the financial security I wouldn't otherwise get in no job great shitain
>>
>>7648710

you drive yourself insane trying to analyze random data

we know the results are probably not truly 100% random because really very few things are, but in principle they are random so we can treat them as so
>>
>>7648835
Then you're an idiot. You generally can't make money by gambling.
>>
>>7648863
that depends on how long it takes for you to strike it lucky.
Some people have won a jackpot on their first go. Some don't ever.
All luck of the draw I guess.

It's hardly idiotic to realise that just getting a job doesn't make you much money unless you're a banker or a footballer.
>>
>>7648868
>It's hardly idiotic to realise that just getting a job doesn't make you much money

But it does make you money, as opposed to the lottery, where most people by definition lose money.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.