[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how much math and physics do I need to know to learn to program

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: lowpolypigs.jpg (127KB, 1273x715px) Image search: [Google]
lowpolypigs.jpg
127KB, 1273x715px
how much math and physics do I need to know to learn to program games?

would Khan academy be good enough?
>>
dont ask the sparrow how the eagle soars
>>
You must be able to solve triple integrals mentally.
>>
Depending upon the game, basically none. You could make something like Farmville with an 8th grade education (excluding the computer programming skills, of course). If you want to program graphics explicitly, then you need basic trig and geometry, which I guess are also 8th or maybe 9th grade.
>>
>>7647191
No physics, as long as you're not making a physics-based game. Maths it depends, but if a 5 year old can make a shitty breakout clone in Game Maker then I'm sure you can too.
>>
>>7647191
For a proper game, you need linear algebra for the graphics. Also you should probably have some advanced knowledge of solid state theory to model basically every object in the game correctly. I recommend DFTB since it is more efficient than basic density functional theory, but for charge transfer excitations in some organic molecules (like in plants) you should use TDDFT with long-range corrected functionals. I think for the nuclei classical mechanics is okay and everything fluid could be done with Navier-Stokes. For PDEs I'd prefer pseudo-spectral methods, for newtonian physics there's velocity verlet.
>>
>>7647305
Doesn't Navier-Stokes require a supercomputer?
>>
>>7647200
lol if you can do a decently hard triple integral in your head then you are probably smart enough to program a game.
>>
>>7647216

Advanced three-dimensional graphics and image processing require some pretty intimate knowledge of linear algebra.
>>
File: 1445732905653.jpg (418KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1445732905653.jpg
418KB, 768x768px
A PhD in Physics and Mathematics, then you can begin working on your Bachelors in programming, a Bachelors should suffice for the programming aspect.

See you in 8+ years OP, good luck.
>>
>>7647570
>A PhD in Physics and Mathematics
>8 years
Where can I do this?
>>
>>7647191
Depends on the type of game, depends on the engine, and depends on what you want to do.

For example, if you want to implement semi realistic fluid dynamics for some sort of water area, you'll need some understanding of physics and mathematics. It's the same to an extent with custom lighting, or altering models in realtime. If you're just going to be using whatever capabilities the stock physics engine has, and just working within what the engine already affords, you'll probably be fine without it.

Really depends.
>>
>>7647318
Your mum requires a supercomputer.
>>
>>7647191
Math required: Algebra

Physics required: None

For more advanced games:
Physics based: Physics and trigonometry

better optimized games=calculus
>>
>>7647197
Kill la Kill yourself
>>
>>7647576
europe
>>
How do you apply these kinds of math to games
any examples
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.