[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I grew up next to a slaughterhouse and was sometimes woken up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: pigs.jpg (130KB, 639x426px) Image search: [Google]
pigs.jpg
130KB, 639x426px
I grew up next to a slaughterhouse and was sometimes woken up by shrieks of pigs who were about to be killed. Can't we just gas animals (with helium) instead or is that technically impossible? Would be more animal-friendly and at least and also less distressing for the workers I guess.
>>
>>7646240
Helium definitely not, it would be completely impractical. You probably could asphyxiate them with high percent nitrogen air mixtures, but that would also be extraordinarily expensive (just in terms of time required making vacuum sealed rooms), and it may affect the quality of the meat. Anything other than nitrogen would be too expensive to be considered.
>>
Helium is expensive and it has more important uses than in animal slaughter, Mr. Sad Frog.
>>
>>7646240
sleep tight porker
>>
>>7646240
I think a 40kW CO2 laser would be more effective and faster
>>
File: 1407300186170.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1407300186170.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>7646240

>less distressing for the workers

Have you ever met someone who works in an abattoir? I had a mate who would put snapchats up of himself using those gas-guns, killing cows. He would have them lined up and count them down.

I would say most of those guys are pretty fucked mate.
>>
Carbon dioxide would do the trick pretty well I think. And you don't have to make a room perfectly air tight, as long as you have minimal ventilation and the gas you use is heavier than air (like CO2 is) it should work. Gassing animals like this is probably more humane too, because they will "go to sleep" first and then die painlessly and unaware. We have a slaughterhouse relatively nearby, especially when the holidays drive, the stench of excrement and festering blood is quite easy to smell when you drive past. The animals smell this and get stressed because they know they are not going somewhere that would be particularly safe for them. So it would be more humane and pleasant for both humane and the animals if we would reconsider slaughter methods imho.
>>
>>7646264
You get fucked up by doing that long enough, a sane person either becomes fucked in the head or gives it up quite quickly because he can't bear it anymore. It takes a special kind of asshole to enjoy it though.
>>
>>7646240
AFAIK chickens are electrocuted to unconciousness before a machine chops their head off. At least in modern slaughtehouses.
I don't know about pigs, but the fact is that most people just don't care that much.

You could kill them with inert gases, but the process would be very slow. (you need to work in batches and spend 20+ mins per batch simply waiting for the pigs to asphyxiate).
The thing is that people aren't going to do this anyway.
>>
OP You ARE Annabelle Lector and I claim my 5$
>>
Yes, but it would be prohibitively expensive. That autistic lady Temple Grandin pretty much made slaughterhouses efficient and humane enough for modern purposes.
>>
>>7646240
I thought about the same thing once.

Helium is expensive as hell, so no.

But it shouldn't be too hard to just vacuum the air out of room, then pump it back in. I've heard suffocation causes orgasms......sounds civilized to me.
>>
when it comes to slaughter houses, more people are concerned with how humane the slaughter methods are. They usually knock out the animals first, with a blank air round, or electrocution or whatever else is fast and easy. Those methods are instant and pretty much painless, whereas asphyxiation would take a while, and would be very distressing to the animals. The reason you hear the screams or shrieks of the animals is because one of the workers fucked up and didn't knock it out properly
>>
File: imgres.jpg (8KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
8KB, 300x168px
>>7646240
if you would like humane slaughter I would suggest meat racking!

The idea is simple.
You take stem cells from pigs or other livestock and clone only the muscle.

The muscle is grown on racks and electroshocked while being fed "artificial blood" because the brain of the pig is "where the soul/pain" resides we would feel exponentially less guilty eating this cloned meat that has no brain.

Here is the Idea at play in dead space

More info/pics on the way
>>
>>7646847
>>7646847

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub7l1D7_B2I

Here is an old experiment where a dog is decapitated and kept alive on youtube.

Instead the idea would be just clone the meat and muscles and forget about the head and brain.
>>
>>7646859
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-we-eating-cloned-meat/

You also will be relieved to hear that the FDA approved cloned meat

The reason you electro shock the fed muscles as they grow on the racks is to effect their strength, tone and tenderness.

Bonus: you can enjoy a good steak in space with this method.
>>
File: search.jpg (4KB, 141x94px) Image search: [Google]
search.jpg
4KB, 141x94px
>>7646240
so to sum it up anon, eating meat is barbaric in that you must slaughter your fellow mammalians so why not bypass this by cloning only their essential bits without their limited consciousness.

Pic related: Its Organovo's human tissue 3d printing machine that makes organs.

No reason we cannot refit the machine to print meat unto rack for us.
>>
>>7646883
If you wanna go absolutely purist mode listen to this. You can use stem cells from bugs or crabs which are not mammalian in any way and exploit their muscle to make it the size of a steak. Then you can eat all the crab you want in space and 0 mammal dna.
>>
>>7646240
I saw in a documentary a pig in the slaughter queue having a heart attack, according to the program narrator it knew it was going to die, but it could've been bullshit
>>
I used to work on a small farm. We'd take the cattle that we wanted to slaughter, walk them by a small platform upon which I stood, and then I would smash them in the head with a sledgehammer.

They don't allow this any more, but it seemed like a good way to go. The cattle never saw it coming, and after a couple early ones where I pussied out and then had to deal with a not-dead-but-not-alive cow, they never felt much of anything. Instant death, brains scrambled, dead cow.

When they made us start using bolts, we had a lot more animals suffer. Sometimes I think that the animal welfare movement is actually just big meat packers in disguise.
> Sir, we have this new method of slaughter
> Tell me more
> Sir, it's way more efficient for mass production purposes
> That'll teach those pesky farmers
> Sir, it unnecessarily hurts a lot of animals and people might get upset
> We'll tell everyone it's actually much better. Since no one knows dick all about this any more, they will believe it
> Brilliant, sir!

>>7646828
>it shouldn't be too hard to just vacuum the air out of room
It is extremely hard to vacuum the air out of a room. They do use CO2 or nitrogen to knock animals out before slaughter, but it seems really unnecessary to me. Just prolongs the thing.
>>
>>7646883
Niggah how are your going to grow muscle without growth hormone if not given exercise? How you gonna sell meat with growth hormone? Doesn't work mate
>>
>>7646950
The meat racking idea uses electro shocks to simulate exercise.
I explained it above. However you can also apply harmones on the fly.
>>
>>7646956
um...did this thread go silent because you are all going to clone meat now

0_o

Kek I wish you luck
>>
>>7646240

wow where do you live?

>>7646847

That or straight tube grown proteins.

like insect burgers.

>>7646910

There actually would be a machine called coldmax, which cools down it's inside to
2° in 14 minutes.

not sure if that could actually improve something
>>
>>7646847
I've thought about this in the past as well, but there are way too many complex biochemical interactions between muscle tissue and the rest of the body.
We can't replicate or predict all of these and we might end up with something dangerous.
I wouldn't eat this instead of real meat for quite a while.
>>
Why? How will that make any extra money? Are you an idiot?
>>
>>7646264
Pretty much man
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.