[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm sure we all know that the pressure at the bottom of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: tn_Drilled%20Shafts.jpg.img[1].jpg (34KB, 290x380px) Image search: [Google]
tn_Drilled%20Shafts.jpg.img[1].jpg
34KB, 290x380px
I'm sure we all know that the pressure at the bottom of the ocean is high. A few documentaries have shown this by sinking a styrofoam ball many hundreds of meters below the surface and then pulling it back up to find that the ball has shrunk many times its size.

My question to you fags is this:

Suppose I drill a mine shaft 5km into the earth. Assuming that the mine shaft does not collapse on itself and it is not filled with water. What will happen if I drop a styrofoam ball into my mine shaft. Will it become shrunken? (Ignore temperature effects at these depths even though significant)
>>
the answer is aliens
>>
>>7641700
THE THING WITH MATH AND /SCI/ENCE IS THAT YOU CAN CALCULATE IT
FIND THE DENSITY OF AIR AND THEN ADD THE AMOUNT OF THAT AIR INTO THAT 5KM SHAFT AND SEE HOW MUCH WEIGHT IS APPLIED TO THE STYROFOAM BALL IN THAT HOLE
>>
>>7641700
pressure is caused by the huge amount of material above the object being held in place by gravity. It's crushed by the WEIGHT of the atmosphere/ocean, so in that sense it is caused by gravity. But without any material if you sunk that same styrofoam ball in a vacuum tube, nothing would happen as long as the material in the tube itself could withstand all the pressure the ocean is exerting.
>>
The pressure under water is from the water u fuckwad. Water is denser than air and much heavier so things under water get pushed on. This is basic shit op
>>
The pressure of the ocean is high at the bottom because you have billions and billions of litres of water on top of you. water is heavy, way more than air.
>>
>>7641784
You're retarded. It isn't because water is heavier, its because the water and air together are pushing down on it. Jupiter has no water and it contains much lighter elements, yet the pressure inside it greatly exceeds our own.
>>
>>7641700
I doubt it
we are under a few km of atmosphere and yet the pressure at sea level is only 1 bar
a few km added to this will only have a minimal increase of pressure
where underwater the pressure at a few km deep will be much, much, higher
your styrofoam could heat up and catch fire though
>>
>>7641700
It wouldn't because there's a lot of earth above it at that point. So the gravity is less, ergo less air pressure
>>
>>7641801
no really, it's because the water is heavier

at 3000 feet deep only about 1 percent of the pressure is due to the weight of the air
The pressure from water exceeds that from the entire atmosphere worth of air pushing on you at roughly 30 feet below the surface.

a 5km column of air will not raise the pressure any appreciable amount
>>
>>7641801
>Jupiter has no water
prove it
>>
>>7642128
>a 5km column of air will not raise the pressure any appreciable amount
bullshit. a vertical change in just a couple hundred meters at sea level produces noticeable pressure differences.
>>
>>7642136
thats because youre going up and not down
>>
Air is about 780 times less dense than seawater. Thus, if you were to sink a ball 5km into your shaft, you might expect it to become as compressed as a ball would if you sunk it about 6 and a half meters underwater.
>>
>>7642222
going down also produces noticeable pressure differences
>>
>>7642495
going down below sea level you fucking aspie?
>>
No, it may experience a mild change in preasure but still less than 100ft of water.
>>
>take a big rock
>take a styrophone ball
>put rock on ball

There ya go, only 5 miles of rock, not just a few inches.
>>
>>7642498
It would, yes.
>>
>>7641700
>>>
> Anonymous 11/06/15(Fri)21:38:45 No.7642495▶>>7642498
>>>7642222
>going down also produces noticeable pressure differences
>>>
> Anonymous 11/06/15(Fri)21:39:45 No.7642498▶>>7642576
>>>7642495
>going down below sea level you fucking aspie?

171kPa compared to 101kPa. So 70% more.

http://www.altitude.org/air_pressure.php

This link does the calculations for you.
I've used it to teach my year 8s, you should find it useful.

Be polite. You fucking retard.
>>
File: 1212328479660.png (50KB, 450x310px) Image search: [Google]
1212328479660.png
50KB, 450x310px
>OP asks a basic question.
>/sci/ proceeds to flip their collective shit.
>>
>>7641760
why is it crushed uniformly, if it's being pressured the most by the water above it?
>>
>>7642590
>>OP asks a basic question.
>>
density * perceived acceleration * delta height
>>
>>7642636
Because the earth is accelerating upwards with exactly the force that the pressure exerts downwards.
>>
>>7641705
>THE THING WITH MATH AND /SCI/ENCE IS THAT YOU CAN CALCULATE IT

Then explain Mythbusters... while those guys would go out and drill the hole, you'd be inside masturbating with paper and pencil.

Doing it > thinking about it.
>>
>>7644560
Enjoy doing two months of blue collar labor while I spend two minutes with a calculator and then two months minus 120 seconds fucking your wife.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.