[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should advanced math be taught in school or should we teach

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: lolcat.jpg (275KB, 648x811px) Image search: [Google]
lolcat.jpg
275KB, 648x811px
Should advanced math be taught in school or should we teach people how to vote and get a job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xe6nLVXEC0
>>
>this again
People who don't see the purpose of school are working class scum anyway. No need to teach epsilon minus semi-morons anything advanced beyond paying taxes.
>>
I'm at work can someone sum up this video pls
>>
>>7634054
I'm incapable of doing basic tasks and need to be told how to do them despite having the greatest amount of easily accessible knowledge available to me ever in the history of mankind, they should teach it in schools!
>>
Well currently we teach neither so both would be an improvement.
>>
>>7633845
This guy is from the UK, where we DO teach kids politics, economics and a second language (french or german), and we let them choose subjects they want to learn from 14.
This faggot is lying through his teeth, and the rest of the things he is talking about he shouldve learned through world experience or from his parents, or from the internet
>>
>>7633845

>homo

dropped
>>
I actually was taught all these things, that faggot just went to a bad highschool.
>>
I'm in the US, and we had the opportunity to learn almost everything that he bitched about not having known at my school.

The only thing would be modern medical shit, but I don't really know why the layman would need to know that. You know your countries emergency telephone numbers.

Also laughed at when he said he learned abstract maths. Bitch has no idea.
>>
>>7633845
>1:42
>abstract maths was deemed more important
literally half of this video is about how he can't do simple math
>>
>>7633845
All those things are taught to kids that go to good schools though. You are sol if you have to go to some shitty public school though.
>>
>>7633845
I sympathize with his concerns, despite his poor delivery, and arguably for different reasons.

Personally I think that public education presents too-tempting an opportunity for social control for it to coexist in a free society. What good is democracy if the state has 12 years of unfettered access to shape the minds of the bulk of the people?
>>
>>7633845

>Let people under 18 choose what they want to be schooled in
>People under 18 know what's best for them, and their future

Guy's a dumb ass. Nothing to see here.
>>
>I could tell if you if that number is prime
I kind of doubt that if the number doesn't happen to be even.
>>
File: math education.png (119KB, 1216x970px) Image search: [Google]
math education.png
119KB, 1216x970px
>>7633845
>Should advanced math be taught in school

Yes.
>>
>>7635640
Im 100% sure that sub 25% of high school math teachers could teach past 8th grade in that system with any amount of actual understanding.
>>
It should not take 14 years to be able to start organic chemistry. Think of people who spent thirteen years playing an instrument or training in gymnastic for thirteen years. Now take a look at what the average student can do after being subjected to a shit system that caters to her at the expense of accelerated learners. What a waste of 13 years. This isn't acceptable.
>>
>>7635640
Wow, I wish
>>
>>7634492

The state should decide of course. Someone who thinks like you will know best each individual with their own set of talents. Throw them all into same mess and learn the same material, and the same half-assed pace. Wow. Only our wise unquestionable elders could think of such a complex educational system.

Yes. If it weren't for gym class the current body threads on /fit/ would be nonexistent.
>>
>>7633845
This is some Jaden Smith tier garbage m8.
>>
>>7633845
Nothing taught in high school could be considered remotely advanced.
If we're completely honest with ourselves, we should teach calculus in 7th grade, and get to real analysis by senior year of high school. This would free up room for graduate level courses to be taught at an undergraduate level, resulting in better trained graduates.
>>
>>7634114
Basic boolean algebra.
>>
>>7635640
>>7635915

Enough with the math already.
>>
>>7635982

Do you suffer from some sort of arithmophobia?
>>
>>7635994

I'm more chemphilic. Wouldn't want to go through Topology and Parallel and Distributed Computing in order to take intro to organic chemistry.
>>
>>7633845
>Should advanced math be taught in school or should we teach people how to vote and get a job.

Advanced math isn't taught in highschool.

In highschool you're learning the fundamental basics of how the world works. You won't need it in real life, of course not, but you should be genuinely interested and every child SHOULD know this before becoming an adult.

No knowing the Pythagorean theorem isn't gonna get you a trade job, but look around you, EVERY and I mean EVERY civilization has been built with with this knowledge and best bet if there's intelligent life anywhere else, they'll know this method as well. They might not call it Pythagorean Theorem, but they'll get the gist of what you're talking about when you show it to them.
>>
File: 1439516074517.jpg (57KB, 392x500px) Image search: [Google]
1439516074517.jpg
57KB, 392x500px
>>7635640

>mfw no multivariable calculus
>>
>>7633845
Advanced math is not and should not be taught in school. No one would think of doing it. Basic, elementary arithmetic and algebraic manipulation should, and is.
>>
>>7637415
It make sense though, since you're going to be teaching real analysis shortly after, you only need ideas from single variable calc.

Also
>taking meme seriously
>>
>>7637415
What do you think vector calculus is?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.