[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's have a /sci/ lifehack thread. Can be anything from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Isopropyl Alcohol.png (19KB, 290x186px) Image search: [Google]
Isopropyl Alcohol.png
19KB, 290x186px
Let's have a /sci/ lifehack thread. Can be anything from math tricks, laboratory techniques from all flavours of science, or just using simple chemistry or physics to make life that much easier.

>>Take 90% isopropyl OH from the drug store (or reagent grade if you can get it), make a solution of 60% Isoprop-OH and 40% water. Put that shit in an empty spray bottle, and use it to melt even the thickest of ice on windshields in the morning. Keep it with your antifreeze or where you store that kind of crap, and never worry about scraping ice off your windows/windshield again.

Pic related as possible.
>>
Never tested it, but I heard you can get rid of a N.A.R.B (no apparent reason boner) pretty quickly by flexing a large muscle like your quadriceps, gastrocnemius, or buttocks for as long as possible.
>>
Adding a pinch of salt to your coffee prevents the bitter compounds in the coffee from binding properly to your tastebuds, reducing the overall bitterness of the brew.
>>
This book has some really fucking cool science behind using physiochemical properties and techniques to change how food tastes, feels, and looks. It also has an entire third of the book dedicated to debunking and/or confirming culinary myths.

My personal favorite goes something like this: Everyone knows that putting lemon on vegetables and non-citrus fruits prevents oxidation. But why? Most people go be the axiom "because it's acidic", but is acidity the actual reason for the prevention of oxidation?

Turns out no.

Some dude at some fancy french biochemistry institute did a really simple experiment: He cut 3 avocados in half. One the first, he basted DI water. The second, lemon juice. These served as his positive and negative controls. Next, he diluted water with acetic acid until he created a vinegar that matched the pH of lemon juice, and basted onto the third. On the fifth, he basted a solution of sodium bicarbonate in water to serve as his base. So, logic would go that if acidity reduces the rate of oxidation, then basicity would increase oxidation rate. On the sixth and final half, he crushed up a vitamin C tablet from the pharmacy in water, and basted it on.

He graded the rate of oxidation based on area of browning and time intervals of like 10 minutes I think for 2 hours.

The results: The only two halves that had reduced oxidation rates were the lemon juice, and the Vitamin C (ascorbic acid). So, it is not the acidity (in terms of pH) that reduces oxidation; it was the ascorbic acid. My father likes to argue semantics and say "well its still the acid", I just face palm and tell him to go sell his cars. It's not really a "hack", but it's a neat bit of info.

/Adderall rant over
>>
File: moleculargastronomy.jpg (150KB, 995x1367px) Image search: [Google]
moleculargastronomy.jpg
150KB, 995x1367px
>>7590990

>>didn't even post the book

lucky ive read it and know what your longwinded bullshit is about

lucky i've read it
>>
>>7590990
Ascorbic acid is an incredible anti-oxidant. In bacteriology labs, Vitamin C is used commonly as a way to create anoxic environments for anaerobic bacteria.
>>
>>7590990
>Still loking for the fourth half
>Took a crane to get the pig out
>>
>>7590913
>lifehack
Can't buy any liquor cause youre an underageb&? Mix some isopropyl alcohol with Tang or Sprite for a similar effect.

Kidding aside its metabolite is acetone so it's significantly less toxic and noncarcinogenic iirc, but the gap between pleasantly intoxicated and wasted is much narrower than ethanol.
>>
Buy strong peppers, cut off stems, put peppers in blender with 200 proof ethanol, leave homogenate to stand for a week in a closed container, filter away solids, leave to stand in a container with a towel over it for a few days, filter solids away again, and leave to stand with tower over again. Hey presto capsaicinoid extract, make your own hot sauce or burn your fingers, mouth, eyelids and nose to all hell by not taking adequate precautionary measures.
>>
>>7591087

lololol derp. The 4th half was left open to exposed air with no basting at all
>>
>>7591131

this is fackin legit. will do 10/10.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.