[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me /sci/. I keep changing my mind about my studies (and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1364797937596.jpg (3KB, 125x106px) Image search: [Google]
1364797937596.jpg
3KB, 125x106px
Help me /sci/.

I keep changing my mind about my studies (and interests) and I can't take it!

I started out studying discrete maths for a semester but I couldn't shake the fact that medicine seemed so interesting. I worked my ass off and got accepted into med school the next semester. I'm on my 2nd year in medicine now but as I started doing a bit of indy computer game developing I'm completely absorbed by programming at the moment.

Now I want to swap AGAIN to software engineering to code...?!

I'm 25, I can't keep doing this for the rest of my life, but I'm also scared I'll be doing something I don't like for the rest of my life. I DO like medicine but I'm really introverted and I'm not sure if I'll like the job at all. The only thing about coding that interests me is computer game programming. Building big structures is of no interest to me. I'd probably want to work for a game company (if not my own).

Maybe I should keep studying medicine and finish it while keeping programming as a hobby? With time I could become good enough to be hired if I want to change career paths, without doing the degree?
>>
you make choices and dont turn back
>>
>>7584655
>I DO like medicine but I'm really introverted and I'm not sure if I'll like the job at all.

If you're introverted you'll hate any high-paying professional career.

CS might be your best bet, but you'll never get very high salaries.

> I'd probably want to work for a game company (if not my own).
These jobs pay like 30kpa if you can handle that.
>>
>>7584671
>CS might be your best bet, but you'll never get very high salaries.

lmao, found the baby boomer
>>
>>7584673
Found the freetard.

CS will get you around 120k mid career if you're good. Most will stay in the 80k range.

Shoo shoo, back to /g/ now.
>>
>>7584671
Where I'm from, medicine pays less than software engineering for newly graduated.
>>
>>7584691
Stop looking at salary statistics. You won't get those salaries if you're introverted.
>>
>>7584692
What are you even basing that on lol
>>
>>7584695
The fact that no one wants to work with autistic people with no connections.

Like I said being a professional means you have to be good at networking and talking to people. You don't get a job from doing well on technical tests in an interview, you get it from having the employer in your network in the first place.

Job openings that intentionally widely publicized usually have 100s of candidates meaning they can strong arm you into paying you fuckall.

Read just about any study done on the subject. Introverted people are always paid less, but it's much more accentuated in professional careers than "normal" jobs.
>>
>>7584655
I used to be in the same position as you but I realized that I could probably never find a 9 to 5 job I would be genuinely interested in for the rest of my life (or even much longer than a few years).
So I decided to study civil engineering, my plan is to get a decent paying job that gives me spare time to pursue my ever changing hobbies and interests. I'm currently on my second year of civil and I'm learning assembly language in my free time.
My advice to you: study something you know you're going to be good at and know has steady job opportunities then just use your free time for shit you like doing. Stop trying to find the perfect job, you'll just get sick of it eventually anyways.
>>
>>7584655
Finish studying medicine, work as a consultant to one of those companies trying to convert all medical files digital.
>>
>>7584704
This. There are people who would be good at a job, but that job was taken by someone who's very good at getting jobs.
>>
>>7584655
a man ought to have 4 or 5 hobbies. be a fucking pathologist so you can make lots of money without ever having to socialize, finish your MD, and do a lot of programming and robotics in your free time.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.