[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yo /sci/. I am a freshman in highschool.Yes,yes,I know you're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Yo /sci/.

I am a freshman in highschool.Yes,yes,I know you're all gona scream b& but before that. I want to learn math and pursue a career in computer science,something like game programming.Anyways,that isn't the problem.

The real question is:
How can I learn all the math that is needed for university without my teacher and what else should I learn for computer science? In my country we just finished trigonometry(geometry) and we are currently doing systems of equations(algebra).
I plan to dedicate the time I have in summer break to learn maths and maybe finish the important things.

What about physics or chemestry? Are they important?If yes,what should I focus on?

Feel free to drop some links or book names,it's much appreciated!
>>
>>7177161
Have two Physics courses, Calculus, and at least one programming course under you belt by the time you graduate. Just do well in your classes and take as many advanced level courses as you can while maintaining a high GPA. That is the most important factor in you pursuing your future. Oh, and develop good study habits now so you are prepared for college. Finally, don't slack off EVER. You will hate yourself for it in the future.

Now fuck off and come back in four years.
>>
>>7177161

Learn the majority of 'pre calculus' which is basically review of algebra, trigonometry, and introduction to a couple new things. Make sure you understand everything in algebra. Functions, graphing, slope, all that stuff. It should be intuitive and simple.

Then start reading a calculus book, I'd choose a less rigorous one (look for books with the title including "calculus for engineers"). It'll be weird and hard, but that's because you don't know how to read carefully yet. You'll learn as long as you keep trying. The most important thing for calculus is understanding the geometric interpretation of the derivative and how it can be explained using algebra. Chances are the most you'll get through is derivative, integrals, and series.

For computer science, 95% of learning it is practicing it. For math, I can read it and usually get by, only need to practice for more complex stuff. But for computer science, you have to practice writing your own programs. Get a good book on Java. Fuck the people who say not Java. It's a great starting language.

Chemistry isn't important, ignore it for now. For physics, read a basic conceptual book on only mechanics. Avoid electricity/magnetism. When you understand calculus a little bit, pick up a calculus based physics book and learn mechanics and E/M.

For the books, use the sticky, it's an agreed upon list of books for specific topics. But I highly suggest mastering basic math, and getting a start on calculus. Comp sci, chem, physics, everything will come much easier if you are more mathematically mature because the nature of math is nearly equivalent to the process of learning in general.
>>
>board full of sciencey stuff
>diagrams of geometric figures
>math ranging from arithmetic to integrals
>chemical formulas
>tic tac toe board
wew lad
>>
> game programming
Haha

What country are you in ? What are the high school programs there ?
Either way, by the end of you training for university, you should probably study and have no problems with elementary algebra (expanding/factoring expressions, solving basic linear/quadratic equations and inequations, complex numbers), basic geometry (coordinate geometry, euclidean transformations, use of complex numbers), functions (what they are, how they vary, the notions of parity and periodicity) and maybe some calculus (having some idea of what a limit is, what a derivative is, why it tells you how a function varies and some notions about sequences)
That's pretty much what I learned in high school I think
>>
comp sci is literally the easiest of the engineering disciplines. you don't need to learn jack shit. you could start programming right now if you wanted.

if you are interested in math you should look toward pursuing computer engineering or electrical engineering. those two both relate to computers while still having a grounding in physics and math. comp sci is not really math related at all, despite having roots in math about a hundred years ago.
>>
>>7177161
>I want to learn math and pursue a career in computer science,something like game programming.
Please stay out of CS. Go into SE or CE, but stay out of CS for your own good.

>How can I learn all the math that is needed for university without my teacher and what else should I learn for computer science?
There is no maths needed for university programs beyond intuition that you gain in calc. You'll most likely start maths from scratch once you enter. Especially the stuff for CS isn't something you should learn by yourself in high school.

If really want, start programming something with 3D graphics and learn all the linear algebra you need for it on the way through tutorials and background readings on these.
>>
>>7177161
>Games programming

Please for the love of god don't. Games programming is exactly the same as any other code monkey job except it's worse pay for longer hours and shitter work enviroment. The only reason you want to do games programming is probably because you like video games. In which case you'd be better off learning games design.

It's still a complete joke though. Working in the games industry boils down to one of two things.

You're a nameless code monkey nobody gives two shits about.

You're a broke ass indie developer hoping to get lucky.
>>
>>7177161
>game programming

lmao
>>
>>7177221
>Comp Sci
>Engineering
>>
>>7177161
>game programming
>maths
>hs
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.