/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys help me out here. Somebody told me that if I want to improve

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

Guys help me out here. Somebody told me that if I want to improve my strength while weight training I need to do low rep high weight routines. Most people suggested 4 sets of 6 reps, and obviously a weight that challenged me under those conditions.

But my sessions at the gym are only taking me around 30 minutes. 4 sets of 6 reps I can accomplish in about 5 minutes, and I'm only doing a few muscle groups each day. Like today I did chest, shoulders, bis and tris. So gym only took me like half an hour. Meanwhile people are tell me their sessions take easily over an hour. Am I doing everything wrong? What should I change?
>>
File: 1488099744194.png (15KB, 399x385px) Image search: [Google]
1488099744194.png
15KB, 399x385px
Use appropriate weight, calculate your 1 RM and work around it
>>
>>5682799
Also remember to lift slowly, so your muscles stay under tension.
>>
>>5682799
Is there any way to calculate 1 rep max aside from trial and error? I'll need to get a spotter so I don't wreck myself attempting a weight I can't lift (I have no spotter currently, I'm limited to softer variants of exercises like goblet squats, dumbbell overhead and chest presses).

Also, difference between functional and non functional hypertrophy?
>>
>>5682808
There are a lot of 1 rep max calculators around. But I prefer test the weight myself.
Functional hypertrophy is muscle growth that is strategic so that it grows your muscles in a way that will improve physical performance.
>>
>>5682826
Okay thanks. I hope this helps. Anything specific about the routines themselves like number of sets (since the infographic only has reps)? Should I so multiple exercises targeted at the same muscle group?
>>
>>5682833
3-6 sets is ok.
Just make sure you do compound exercises.
Isolation and heavy weight are not a good combination.
>>
>>5682853
Okay so we're looking at squats, bench press, dead lifts, possibly overheads?

Isolated exercises are still worth doing just with a different regimen/weight+rep balance?
>>
File: 02882397484.jpg (59KB, 421x570px) Image search: [Google]
02882397484.jpg
59KB, 421x570px
>>5682783
>>
>>5682865
yes and yes
>>
>>5682783
Doing only weight lifting is a good way to encumber your body fast and make your limberness decline. You should do a mixture of cardio workout and weight training.
>>
>>5682783
Hey there! Coffee anon here. I think I was the one who told you that. The thing about what's troubling you is probably that you're still not using enough weight. Strength training normally equates to less time under tension, so it makes sense that your sessions are short, but you're probably not using the proper weight to achieve the best that you can. You need to do weight that will force you to rest between sets. Resting is much more important when training close to maximal load.
>>5682853
This is VERY true. Try to work isolation movements more like hypertrophy work. Isolation work is important though because it gives individual muscles work. It's not as important as compounds, but it's inportant.
>>5682999
True true trips of truth. I think stretching is MUCH more important for a powerlifting athlete than that of a bodybuilder, but cardio is important too. Please do something you enjoy. I like dancing. It gets my heart rate up and is WAY enjoyable. Biking is super fun too. I'd say stretching is your best friend. Putting your body into the proper position to achieve the best mechanical advantage relies on your ability to remain limber.
>>
>>5682783
Opps also just read what you did TODAY.

Don't do chest and shoulders together. It might put too much load on the joint. Shoulders are fragile, treat them with care. Honestly, look around online for proper powerlifting routines. I wish I could help you set one up, but I'm not as knowledgable as I should be. If you were bodybuilding I'd know everything that you'd need, but I'm a babby when it comes to powerlifting. I know the basics that will put you on the right track.
>>
>>5683728
I'm not really power lifting so to speak, despite doing low rep high strength exercises. My end goal isn't extreme strength and outstanding max reps. I'm moreso just trying to increase my current functional strength in the short term because all of my current max reps for different exercises are drastically below the average of a healthy person. My bench press is only 110lb for instance. The focus on strength is short term, I'm just focused on getting it up to an adequate level rather than power lifting insane weights down the road.

Thanks though man.
>>
Muskuls
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.