[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm usually not a 4chan ranter, but I just feel the need

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: 0000001.jpg (12KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
0000001.jpg
12KB, 275x183px
I'm usually not a 4chan ranter, but I just feel the need to say that it frustrates me to no end that people who know nothing about psychology or how brains function are bashing trigger warnings all over the Internet. Most of these people are academics and educators, which is even more frustrating to me because, from a pedagogical standpoint, refusing to acknowledge a legitimate disability is absolutely shameful. As a highly successful student who graduated from her undergraduate institution suma cum laude and lives with active PTSD, I'm disgusted by the way people callously refer to trigger warnings as "coddling" and a means to allow students to dominate classroom discussion and keep all critical thinking out of the learning environment. For those of you who don't know, "triggers" are not simply "concepts which make us feel a tad uncomfortable." Triggers are controversial and damaging experiences and topics which cause trauma victims to relive their trauma, viciously and without warning, in such a way that it is impossible for the individual to control. As a victim and survivor of numerous traumatic experiences, I can say that trigger warnings in an academic setting have NOT acted as a means for me to avoid controversial material, but rather as a way for me to IMPROVE my ability to handle said material. Trigger warnings alert me to put my coping skills in place so that, when I enter into a controversial discussion, I am prepared for what I'm about to hear and ready should I actually end up facing an uncontrollable emotional response.

(1/2)
>>
>>4727536
Mental illness is an ILLNESS just like anything physical; it is NOT under the control of the individual suffering from it, and it requires diligence and sometimes even lesson modification to keep things in check. If what matters to you as an educator really is fostering intellectual and expansive class discussions, perhaps you ought to try advocating for the needs of struggling students and creating a learning environment which encourages ALL students to participate. I will forever be an advocate for students like me who just want to have the same chance for a good education as everyone else, but who have been discriminated against by ableist institutions and mindsets. My success at my undergraduate institution is a testament to what compassionate and dedicated professors can achieve and help others to achieve when they recognize the existence and legitimacy of mental illnesses like mine.

*rant over*
>>
File: 1467328494041.jpg (113KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1467328494041.jpg
113KB, 400x400px
>>
Read all that.
Still don't give a shit.

Your fortune: Excellent Luck
>>
>>4727536
>trigger warnings
Stopped reading right there
>>
>>4727733
>7733
Started reading right there.

>>
>>4727797
>>4727689
>Excellent Luck
Started replying here.
>>
>>4727536
Hey I'm not sure TWs are all that useful even as a courtesy thing. If reading certain stuff triggers u it's easy to avoid the types of places that content might be encountered. Also nobody can guess someone's specific triggers. If you need to be warned that something is gonna be a bad feels read beforehand you really aren't working through your issues also, just my IMO. And PTSD is treatable.
Anywho ppl talk shit cuz it's a meme, basically, and it's easy to make fun of tumblr silliness. Also OP is prob bait.
>>
>>4727733
Lol I know right.
>>
>>4727536

You stated it's an illness, and just like any other illness it shouldn't be allowed to be a burden unto others for the sake of your convenience, don't get me wrong I'm not saying that people with mental disorders don't need help and should be provided with it but my problem is when things are censored and the truths are watered down in discussions that can contain topics that will trigger people. Their triggers are personal problems and as such should be catered to personally, it's unfair to assume that in a public platform people must tip-toe around topics because no progress can be made if honesty isn't present in a discussion, I personally encourage all viewpoints in a discussion/debate to be heard, if something said is wrong it should be rationally rather than emotionally dealt with. If someone makes a retarded claim they should be shown with a calm demeanour just how wrong they are, and doing so to some people will trigger them if their personal experience doesn't align with statistics, it's not callous but in terms of honest debate, trigger warnings and caring for emotions hinders actual progress. If a person is too weak they shouldn't be in university, same way that if I contracted pneumonia I'd be stuck in a hospital being treated, a person with PTSD and triggers should be treated and taught how not to allow their emotions to control them or at the very least given mood stabilisers so they can remain rational (although mood stabilisers are questionable with an up to 50% rate of suicide in those who use them).

My problem is that in an honest debate or scientific discussion, anything and everything should be allowed to be said, if somebodies right or wrong it should be backed by facts and if certain facts will trigger people then education isn't for them since they'll merely hinder everyone else.
>>
>>4728472
Haha lol yeah epic hey check my fortune!

Your fortune: ( ´_ゝ`)フーン
>>
>>4728466
>>4728484
You must be new. The internet has been this way since the beginning. If you're so easily "triggered" or "offended" that other people have the right to have their own opinions, no matter how "fucked up" you may think it is, then you might just want to stay off the internet altogether. The thing about freedom of speech is that it goes both ways. People are free to think and say what they want to. If you don't like it, then the internet is not a place you should be. And instead of feeding the "trolls" like you did, you may just want to ignore it so they don't have more fuel to add to their fire. Most people that post hateful comments want a reaction like yours and so many other of the comments on this video. When they know they get under your skin, they win. Just a little advice.
>>
>>4728491
Interesting, your post number ends in 91, whereas >>4728484 ends in 84 and >>4728466 ends in 66. It might be a coincidence, but it might not. Keep your eyes open. More patterns may emerge.
>>
fortune test

Your fortune: Reply hazy, try again
>>
>>4728497
Good test
>>
>>4728497
test
>>
>>4728497
lol
>>
>>4728497
Is this a fortune thread now?
>>
>>4728504
lel

Your fortune: Average Luck
>>
Posting the fortune to end all fortunes.

>>
>>4728491
Not sure if u read my post cuz I was actually arguing internet trigger warnings aren't very useful.
The thing with post trauma is... once you crack an egg you can't put it back in its fucking shell. There are things that yeah, you are gonna remember and you can't just walk it off. It takes something from you that you can't get back. BUT if you look where you are now, living normally, not in danger, and live in the present instead of something that happened years or decades ago, you can realize it's not that bad and it doesn't have to rule over you. It doesn't have to define who you are. It's just a thing that happened but you are safe now.
Trauma surviving ppl need to learn that lesson, instead of avoiding everything potentially trauma related on the internet. I think that most ppl who put "TW" on stuff have good intentions though. It just means it's an ugly post but it can also be a means of attention getting behavior in those kinda online communities.
>>
>>4728514
It's time to go to bed.
>>
>>4728516
Just speaking my mind and I'm a little drunk. It's basically what my therapist told me and helped. *shrugs*
I'm not sure who I'm helping probably all of the posts in this thread are copy pasta.
>>
>>4728524
What are you drinking?
>>
>>4728524
Hey tell us more about being drunk. It's so hard to get drunk people to talk about being drunk. I really want to know.
>>
>>4728529
Cloudy head feeling, slower? Relaxed, not giving a shit attitude about whatever. My boobs hurt but it's not that time. Tummy kinda churny also.
It feels like relaxed to me, with other unpleasant physical feelings that don't matter.
Did I do well is this a survey????/
>>
>>4728532
yeah dude can I see your dick btw?
>>
>>4728528
Wine earlier but Canadian whiskey now lol. Why does it matter? No I didn't finish the bottle of rioja I posted about I'm saving that for another day.

>>4728533
Nice dubs! And obliged here it is ====D
Good one?
>>
>>4728536
It doesn't matter, I just wanted to know. Brand name of the whiskey? I'll pick up a bottle.
>>
>>4728536
thanks dude nice dick
thanks for checking as well
it means a lot to me
>>
>>4728499
nice dubs

Your fortune: Good Luck
>>
>>4728538
WHY? Canadian LTD. It's the most generic shit you can buy. The appeal is that it's cheap. Might as well get bottom shelf vodka it's about the same!
>>
>>4728541
For the sake of connecting with the people I interact with on the daily just a bit more, albeit a one-sided bond in nature
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.