[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Immigrant parents meme me into Pharmacy school >The j

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: 1504384612395.gif (889KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1504384612395.gif
889KB, 500x375px
>Immigrant parents meme me into Pharmacy school
>The job market is fucking shit and I hate everyone here
>Gonna be 130k in debt
>Already signed the papers so It's too late to back out now anyway
Fuck. I go into a mini panic attack thinking about how I might not have a job and be in so much fucking debt.
Here's proof that the market is totally shit:
>https://pharmacymanpower.com/
Literally the only state with a good amount of demand is FUCKING ALASKA.
The worst part about this shit-show is how I actually had to work pretty hard to get accepted. Being a robot around pre-meds was fucking hell.
>>
>>39606704
oh well, if it doesn't work out you can just kill yourself.
>>
>>39606704
Should've went MD instead
>>
>>39606775
Too long, too hard, I hated all the pre-meds I was with and I really didn't want to be around those people for the rest of my life.
My mom actually cried when I told her I wasn't gonna be doing pre-med anymore.
I literally hard to talk her down to pharm.
No, I'm not even asian. Wish I was, I could have majored in math or physics or something.
>>
>>39606704
Did they cosign for the loans? If so then who cares, don't pay them if you don't want to, let them take the hit.

Don't feel bad about it. When it comes to my parents "fuck them" is my philosophy, they brought me into this world, they have to deal with the consequences.
>>
>>39606830
Nah I didn't have an option for a co-sign. The school had me take out one of those medical/ professional school loans.
And I would feel too guilty anyway.
>>
>>39606704
make the best of it and stop complaining.

You literally said it's too late to back out now anyway.

Get a discliplined schedule going, start reading bookz ,get inspired and start experimenting with mind bending drugs and make sure to subscribe to Joe Rogan's podcast its super amazing i swear
>>
>>39606704

Alaska sounds comfy desu I wish I could move there [i'm a canadian so...]
>>
>>39606932
I could have a 4.0 and it would still be worthless SINCE THERE'S NO FUCKING JOBS
I'M LITERALLY KEKING MY LIFE AWAY, IM GONNA SPEND THE REST OF MY ENTIRE FUCKING LIFE BARELY MAKING ENDS MEET AND ON THE RUN FROM CHAD THE LOAN SHARK.
>>
>>39606704
you should go back to india, rajesh
>>
>>39607004
Not indian either
That wouldn't be too bad. I could a have a qt pajeeta to shit on the street with.
Here I am. a khv stuck in fucking pharmacy school
>>
>>39606809
It's not too bad. I just finished my bachelors with a decent gpa and volunteering is actually pretty fun. It's also a good life experience to help you blend in with normies more.
MCAT is the only problem though
>>
Why cuck yourself? Can you change your major faggot?
>>
>>39607081
I took the MCAT. Got a 514 (88th percentile I think?). It probably would have gotten me in. Fuck that though. Even just imagining being on call makes me miserable.
I scored in the 95th percentile on the PCAT as well. My issue is that the job market is completely fucked.
I would warn you against med school as well, but you seem pretty set on your path.
The MD DO residency merger is gonna fuck shit up for new doctors in america.
>>
I'm about to graduate with an accounting degree and already hate my existence. I doubt it will get any better working for mr. goldstein
>>
>>39607176
Holy shit, good job! I would be happy with any score above a 510. Did you take classes? Or self study?

Tell me everything you know that the counselors aren't telling me about med school and the job market.
>>
>>39607095
No. My school is centered around the PharmD program and I already moved in, started class and the school took the money.
>>39607184
Accounting is a pretty comfy robotic job though.
Just clock in, punch in numbers and clock out.
You wont have to deal with drug addicted patients trying their hardest to make you lose your license or doing 48 hour shifts 3 times a week.
If you don't have any debt you're probably set man
>>
>>39607223
I don't have any friends anyway so I just spent all of summer 2016 studying, browsing 4chan and jerking off. It was self study. I bought the cheapest kaplan book I could find for both exams.
>>
>>39607223
Internists are being rapidly replaced with PAs and NPs, tuition costs keep rising, and with the DO merger there's going to be a much bigger applicant pool competing for the same number of residency spots.
You would think that the solution to the much memed "physician shortage" is opening up new residency programs, but the funding comes from the feds so it won't happen.
The older gen of MDs don't want their cushy wages to fall so they're creating a funnel type situation where it's becoming a bit easer to actually get into med school, but actually getting residency is harder and harder.
Fuck this shit. I wan't off this shitty ride
>>
>>39607364
Also from an opportunity cost standpoint it makes absolutely no fucking sense to do more than 4 years of school.
accounting anon is going to be making money and living his life while we slave away in school, residency, and later on with student loan payments.
Don't even fucking think about just paying the minimum, you'll be fucked for life
>>
>>39607396
Are residency spots that hard to find now? I thought for med school the rankings didn't matter so much as long as you weren't in the bottom 50%
>>
>>39607517
Yes. There are US MD graduates now that aren't able to match into fucking peds or internal/family.
It's a real issue.
You basically only get one try too. The year after your chances of getting matched are significantly decreased.
Couple that with the crippling debt and worthless degree.
>>
>>39607588
>You basically only get one try too. The year after your chances of getting matched are significantly decreased.

You have no idea how much that scares me. Thanks for the boost of desperation, back to studying for me.
>>
>>39607630
Don't do it you fucking idiot.
What did you major in?
>>
>>39607701
General Biology. Currently working as a med scribe and EMT so I guess it wasn't completely worthless in the job market.
>>
>>39607997
You moron.
Why the FUCK would you major in Bio?
Nice waste of 4 years there. You don't need a fucking 4 year degree to work those entry level jobs
>>
>>39608067
I was 18. What did you major in, biochem?
>>
>>39608130
Econ
I did my prereqs on the side
>>
>>39608137
What's econ good for apart from working in a bank? I heard accounting is more suited towards employment.
>>
File: 1503975532495.jpg (16KB, 417x353px) Image search: [Google]
1503975532495.jpg
16KB, 417x353px
>be me thinking I'll go study med and be happy with it
>start some sort of pre-med equivalent programme (am not amerifat)
>mum supports me, says I'll be best doctor
>fastforward 1 semester
>haven't learned a single shit from biology and chemestry
>I did read the whole textbook and tried to memorise info as much as possible, took tests by myself
>absolutely nothing memorised
>didn't have a pleasure in learning biology
>never got pass nervous system anyway
>pleasure so far: 0
>cancelled all pre-med after 1 semester, money well wasted
>mum says I'm doing a huge mistake
>fastforward summer I sign up for engineering
>get admitted without much hassle, state-financed place too meaning I don't put a single eurocent in it save for dorms and food
>most colleagues from pre-med failed admission, only about 4 or so got in
Feels good really. If you go by what your parents decide for you, you're a dumbass.
>>
>>39606704
You will get a job, it just may not be the one you want. I wouldn't worry about your student debt, it's an annoyance but it won't bankrupt you. Unless you took a bunch of private loans with usurious interest rates.

I am a lawyer who graduated during the recession and found a job in a couple months. I used to work with a state pharmacy board, the students I interacted with were all getting placed. People get fired all the damn time in community practice, they always have openings but they might be at shitty stores, or floating. If you're smart you can try to go into nuclear or compounding (compounding is very risky imo b/c of liability and regulatory issues). I wouldn't worry too much.
>>
>>39608320
Pretty much all the specialties nowadays require at least a PGY1 residency
That's another year of my life wasted and. My loan is at 7.5%,pretty much standard I guess
>>
The industry is flooded with immigrants. CVS, Walgreens, and Rite-Aid are cutting back pharmacist hours and a lot of pharmacists can not even get 40 hours a week. It's not uncommon to see pharmacists now leave for a different sector (Management, Software Eng, or MD). You can get a job if you appear to be a hard worker and intelligent, lot of pharmacists have a terrible work ethic.
>>
File: Alaska-farms.jpg (2MB, 2457x1571px) Image search: [Google]
Alaska-farms.jpg
2MB, 2457x1571px
>>39606704
Alaska is fuckin' epic.
>>
>>39606970
THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT FOR FUCK'S SAKE1\
>>
File: Alaska4.jpg (48KB, 604x404px) Image search: [Google]
Alaska4.jpg
48KB, 604x404px
>>39608447

Alaska thread, Alaska bread thread

origanialiolo oraganali chan
>>
File: alaska2.jpg (70KB, 506x339px) Image search: [Google]
alaska2.jpg
70KB, 506x339px
>>39606704

The one main problem with Alaska which you'll have OP is that it has a female shortage.
>>
>>39608734
I have absolutely no hope of ever getting laid.
It isn't even on my mind. My issue with alaska is not having a proper day/night cycle and it's expensive as fuck to buy anything online
>>
>>39608420
A residency isn't really a waste, since it usually leads to a job. Loan repayment can be based on your income, which will make the payments manageable. I have 135k in debt and make 70k (I work for the govt), my payments are $347 a month. That sucks, but it's not the end of the world by any means. I am not living a lavish lifestyle, but I have a nice apartment, nice clothes, eat out a lot, etc. Not a downgrade from how I grew up, basically.

I figure the student debt bubble will burst, or there will be a civil war or some sort of apocalyptic event in the next 10-30 years so I'm not really concerned about the long-term. Theres also loan forgiveness if you work for the govt or a nonprofit for 10 years. I've got 5 years under my belt, I'm debating whether I should stay or go, I could be making a lot more money in private practice, or setting myself up to make a lot more money in a few years if I went in-house. Pharmacist salaries at govt agencies are lower than the private sector but they aren't peanuts. The investigators I worked with at the pharmacy board made 85-110. They usually like people to have a couple years of practice experience before hiring them though.
>>
>>39609085
Yeah I'd like to work with the government.
Would rather a slightly lower wage with benefits, a proper 401k and a loan repayment program.
Do you know if I could bypass the experience requirement by doing my rotations at agencies like the FDA etc.?
Also thanks for giving a sad lonely robot some hope
>>
>look at cvs, walgreens, and rite aid job openings
>all of them have pharmacist positions near me
convince me that pharmacist isnt the easiest job with a potential six figure wage
>>
>>39609994
Which flyover state do you live in?
>>
>>39610016
i live in washington
>>
>>39610023
ew
I'd rather stay on the east coast, where I grew up
>>
>>39609428
The reason my agency wants experienced people for investigator positions is because you've got to know how to practice properly in order to enforce the rules. If you wanted to do research or work directly with patients I think they might hire out of school for that. The Feds will definitely hire people out of school because they have the resources to train people, whereas a state or local health department may not.

If you're interested in government work, doing rotations at agencies will definitely help. They will probably get you a job if you make a good impression, I got my job from an internship. In addition to federal agencies, see if your state pharmacy board, PDMP, or state health dept takes pharmacy interns. I know mine does, the pharmacy director takes a couple students each quarter. State work isn't as glamourous as federal work, but it's pretty chill and you can often get some good contacts. Also, it will be painful but consider participating or joining your state lobbying group/association, that's another good way to meet people and get a job or internship.

It won't be easy and you'll have to step outside your comfort zone, but you will probably wind up in a decent spot.
>>
>>39610169
I'm in NY, do the feds have any health care offices in NYC?
Since I'm going back down for the summer
>>
>>39610169
Oh and how would I apply for an internship for this summer?
Thanks again btw
>>
>>39608420
>7.5% loan

Refinance that asap. Shop around for a better rate.
>>
>>39606704
Are you actually in uni yet? My immigrant parents memed me into going to med school and it was the shittiest 5 years of my life. But once I graduated and started working I didn't mind it so much and I actually enjoy it now desu. People complain about the long hours but I don't do naything in my free time so I never feel like I'm missing out on anything, and once you are forced to learn how to interact with people the day job isn't so bad.

If you were like me and didn't have any other specific career in mind then I'd advise giving it a go and seeing how it turns out at least.
>>
>>39607065
>khv stuck in fucking pharmacy school
not a bad place to be. I went in as one, and left having discarded my chance at arcane powers. the m:f ratio is greatly in our favor.
>>
>>39610313
A lot of federal agencies have centralized internship programs that you apply for and a lot of them are in DC. They have them elsewhere too, but you can't like call your FDA regional office and ask if they are hiring interns, you gotta go through whatever channel they have established for applicants. Typically it will be on their website under careers.

In addition to FDA, look at HHS, CMS, CDC, Veterans Affairs, and maybe also Labor, HUD and Agriculture. Just follow their instructions, and check with your school too, they might be able to hook you up b/c they have some grant or other relationship with an agency, or maybe one of your professors used to work at a place you're applying, etc.

Get your stuff done EARLY. The government moves very slow in the best of times, and its absolute fucking chaos in DC right now, I don't know if the health agencies have experienced the sort of slaughter that has gone on at State, EPA, Energy, etc. but it's possible they also have staffing problems and political commissars from the WH breathing down their necks.
>>
>>39608734
Is that anchorage? because if so I wanna live there.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.