[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any robots that play the piano? I'm thinking about learning

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

File: s.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
Any robots that play the piano?

I'm thinking about learning it, but have no idea where to start. (I never played an instrument before and I don't even own a piano)
>>
I recognize that piano. He's one of the reasons I want to learn how to play. I used to do woodwinds and guitar but I really oughta get a keyboard to mess around on.
>>
>>39585378

Step 1) get a piano

Step 2) search "how to play piano" on YouTube

Step 3) stop being a faggot and learn how to play.
>>
File: piano_keyboard_picture.jpg (25KB, 520x257px) Image search: [Google]
piano_keyboard_picture.jpg
25KB, 520x257px
1. Buy a keyboard.

2. Watch pic

3. Get sheets for simple piano music you like.

4. Learn pieces of the song by heart, play one hand at a time, very slowly. over and over and over again.

Example of a relatively simple song you can start with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-zVjmCHyrU
>>
>>39585378
Haha yes. My advice is to find a good teacher if you try to learn the instrument. I've been playing since I was five years old. However, I struggle with performance anxiety so I'd really hate to give up something I usually enjoy doing which is just playing in general. I even went to university and was a piano major for four years. I don't recommend you do it unless you absolutely are willing to practice SEVERAL hours a day on top of taking tons of music classes plus general eds. You won't have a life

That's irrelevant to you. I'm just blabbering on about my experiences. If you just want to learn and get better than find a teacher, practice everyday with Scales and basic chords. Learn proper technique and touch. Start with some easy books like little kids learning books (I'm sure there are adult beginner books) and just have fun with it. It truly is the greatest instrument ever.
>>
Another song you could play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97FBWB4vv3s
>>
>>39585378
I used to play the piano and other instruments when I was a kid and teen. Then I discovered the internet and now I'm a 30 year old loser who forgot who to play anything and I have to start all over again.

Anyways the piano is arguably the easiest instrument to learn. All the notes are there in order from left to right.

Reading sheet music might be the first bump in the road but there are free apps for your phone where you can learn and memorize them. Or probably on your web browser too I guess if you're too autistic to have your own phone.

Rather than spending a few thousand dollars on an actual piano, you might be better off instead buying a digital keyboard for a couple hundred dollars. Keyboard come in various sizes and further down the line if you want to play classical music and more advanced pieces, you'd want an 88-key keyboard. 76 or 61 keys are still fine for beginners or for making quick bleep bloops for your EDM music. You'd also want to get some pedals if they don't come with it.

As an oldfag, I gotta tell you that it's never been easier to learn the piano or anything else. It's all on the internet. Whatever song or video game soundtrack or anime theme that you're into you can totally look up the sheet music for free and learn to play that. Learning to play an instrument is easier when you're having fun with it.
>>
an important thing to remember is to never try to play as you read the sheets.

Learn it by heart, one sequence at a time. Once you have it actually easier.

If you start trying to play as you read it it's going to take ages before you get any good.
>>
File: 1502862534960.png (526KB, 1000x646px) Image search: [Google]
1502862534960.png
526KB, 1000x646px
>>39585452
>>39585501
>>39585618

So basically I should just buy a keyboard? Wish I knew what I was supposed to be looking for. I don't want to buy something that would later be found as useless.

How important are teachers? Can't I learn by myself?
>>
>>39585707
As the other anon said, in the age of the internet, you can do it by yourself without problems.

It's just a matter or practicing pieces of songs and getting better eye-hand coordination over time
Kinda like playing vidya.

Learn one hand at a time, and once you have both hands figured out for a song, try to piece it together.

If you pick songs you like, it's going to be a fun process.
>>
>>39585751

Thank you.

What about the piano/keyboard? What should I even look for?
>>
File: photo[1].jpg (64KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo[1].jpg
64KB, 900x900px
>>39585378
Yeah I play a bit.

But I can only play by reading music and eventually muscle memory learning it. Learning a single song can take months. I get so fucking envious of people that can just listen to something and play it by ear.
>>
>>39585707
You don't need a teacher but it's recommended. A good teacher can really help with how to properly hold your hands on the keys. And how to have proper playing position and how you should press the keys
>>
>>39585707
Nothing can beat playing a real piano.

If you can find somewhere you can practice on a real one instead of buying a keyboard I recommend doing that instead
>>
If you don't start at age four, there's no point. There are fifteen year olds who are better than you'll ever be even if you play till you are 100.
>>
>>39585983
>Defeatist

I forgot that the point of playing music was the be the best at it and not to have fun and express yourself.
>>
>>39585378
Yeah, I play, but not nearly as much as I used to. It's not too hard to pick up, but very hard to master.
>>
>>39586036
Realist, you mean. If you want fun, play a ukulele. The piano is a serious instrument for serious music.
>>
>>39585983
Ryo Fukui started teaching himself at age 22 and had his first album out by the time he was an oldfag of 28 years of age.
>>
>>39586084
>Realist
Why is your definition of "realism" forcing yourself to become the best piano player in the world?
>>
>>39585707
>Wish I knew what I was supposed to be looking for.

A keyboard with 88 keys, weighted keys to simulate the feel and sound of a real piano, and pedals.
>>
>>39586111
>jazz piano
Jazz is not serious music, not even close.
>>
>>39586084
>serious instrument for serious music

So you aren't a musician then, good to know.
>>
>>39586036
>at a party
>play something fun like Linus and Lucy
>Chad comes over and plays Fur Elise

H-haha at least I was having fun
>>
I play weeb pieces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuhBmPU6NP4
>>
>>39586084
lmao
who gives a shit

Not everybody jerks off at the thought of impressing other people with your virtuoso piano skills
>>
>>39586191
Oh jesus, it's a fucking autist who thinks that anyone is impressed by what you play and not how you play it.
>>
>>39586164
Jazz shits all over you and whatever you might think serious music is.
>>
>>39585983
This is why you're a FAILURE ANON
>>
>>39586164
>He's scared of jazz
>>
>>39586246
I hope you are not a "muh emotion" faggot
>>
>>39586164
Are you from 1912?
>>
>>39585378
>that pic
Why this shit is so hard ;_;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC7emV4DpJM
>>
>>39586250
>>39586267
Show me a Jazz pianist that can play Scriabin's fifth piano sonata. Jazz is suited to improvisation and improvisation is not suited to serious players.
>>
>>39586191
>anyone playing the piano at a normie party where Chad is invited

>Chad playing entry-level babby's-first-classical-music piece like Fur Elise as if it impresses anyone

>Chad not just impressing people with his sick iphone DJ skills

10/10 for amazing bait and making me reply
>>
>>39586356
Show us a video of you playing anything at all, and I won't wipe my ass with your opinion.
>>
File: MI0001401123[1].jpg (21KB, 400x473px) Image search: [Google]
MI0001401123[1].jpg
21KB, 400x473px
>>39586356
A lot of jazz pianists have a level of classical training and improvise over classical tunes. Take Thelonious Monk for example.
>>
>>39586303
>Virgin practices "Fur Elise" muh beautiful european music in his bedroom for 400 hours, doesn't know how to use his theory knowledge, can't improvise, gets intimidated at the jam session and leaves early because there's a girl playing guitar there, stops and makes a cringey self deprecating joke if he ever makes a mistake
>Chad learns how to play music with other people, is less concerned about what he plays verses how he plays it and how well he works with other musicians, has fun jamming with his circle of friends, allows himself to mess up without showing it
>>
>>39586383
Where did I say I played? I said in my first post there is no point to playing serious music unless you begin as a child. I'm sure you could be a jazz master even if you started in your forties, however.
>>
>>39586437
>I said in my first post there is no point to playing serious music unless you begin as a child.

and we're discarding your opinion because you don't play. So shoo shoo run along now.
>>
File: 1469623234389.jpg (141KB, 736x768px) Image search: [Google]
1469623234389.jpg
141KB, 736x768px
>>39586437
>there is no point to playing serious music unless you begin as a child
How autistic are you? Why does music need to be so "serious" to you?
>>
>>39586436
>playing with other people
faggot
>>
>>39586437
Holy shit hahahaha you can't even play? Did you decide it would be too hard for you? Is this your defense mechanism for when you get intimidated by learning a new skill?
>>
Stop replying to the bait, retards
>>
>>39586526
You're not my mom, I enjoy watching idiots paint themselves into a corner and then go I WAS ONLY PRETENDING when they're called out
>>
>>39586488
I didn't decide anything. My parents are not musicians, so they did not stick a piano infront of me at age four. Consequently, I am not a pianist. I'd love to hear your playing, though, I'm sure you're what music needs: another mediocre musician who though he could learn to play after childhood.
>>
>>39585378
Get a teacher until you know how to sit and play properly
After that you can just play studies to get more skill and play shit that you actually like
>>
>>39586571
>what music needs

And this is why you aren't a musician. Playing music is something you do for yourself, not for 'music'. I'm sorry you have such an identitarian view of what being a "musician" is that you closed yourself off from playing music.
>>
File: thinking-face.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking-face.png
53KB, 256x256px
>>39586571
>I didn't decide anything. My parents are not musicians, so they did not stick a piano infront of me at age four. Consequently, I am not a pianist.

but why are you mad tho
>>
>>39586571
Wow the mental gymnastics and excuses. Impressive, really.
>>
File: 1504012628340.png (67KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1504012628340.png
67KB, 400x400px
>>39586437
>If you're not the best player ever there's no point
>doesn't even play
>trying to fiscourage other people from learning because he's insecure
>thinks even being good at the instrument is required to become a famous musician nowadays
Laughing at your life rn
>>
>muh 4 years old meme
>>
>>39586481
If you have no improvisation skills you're just a parrot; learning to mimic pieces written by others and while it may be technically impressive, most peiple will understand youre not a talented musician. Just a rhapsode
>>
>>39587087
>improvising instead of writing
faggot
>>
>>39587087
Again, who gives a shit.

"You are a parrot"
"You will not be the next Beethoven"

Just play because you enjoy it. The rest is for autists.
>>
File: 1470020713263.jpg (461KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1470020713263.jpg
461KB, 900x675px
>>39587128
Oohh I get it now; you're le ebin troll. Gotcha
>>
>>39587153
This
People who don't exclusively play weeb music they like are fools
>>
>>39585452
Very underrated post. Anon, this is actually the best possible post for a new musician with a soul. I am screenshotting and saving your post for the next generation of non-shits
>>
A general message to the OP. PLEASE ignore all the damn faggots in this thread. If you have fun paying chords with left and a pop song with right, that's good enough and worth the effort. Also you'd be surprised with what normalfags gets impressed with, if that matters to you. It shouldn't tho. I learn video game music and movie music (good music tho) just by ear and honestly I'm a better pianist than some of the classicalfags I've met that insist that only classical is "real" music. Ask them to make something up, improvise, or show any creativity in any way and they shrink up. They can't even play the classical pieces with their own expression, they just copy the notation and dynamics bit-for-bit. Not saying classical is bad, but music is about self-expression and discovery, however you choose to do that. It's art, not blacksmithing or steelcraft.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.