[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mfw 40 page brief due tomorrow at noon >mfw haven't

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

File: Zip Zop rapety rape.jpg (42KB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
Zip Zop rapety rape.jpg
42KB, 460x259px
>mfw 40 page brief due tomorrow at noon
>mfw haven't even read the case yet
>>
File: 1488396928411.png (7KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
1488396928411.png
7KB, 284x284px
wtf r u a chocolate scientist or some shit
>>
>>39572253
where on earth is a 40 page brief even allowed? They don't even accept 20 here
>>
>>39572253
>40
Nigga what?
This was not original?
>>
>>39572501
>>39572461

It's for law school
And 40 isn't unreasonable for a brief.
>>
>>39572567
Im in law school too, lol they cap ours out to 10- its a pain in the ass- yes I go to an accredited one too and it isn't bottom of the barrel
>>
Ii may be miserable but at least I'm not a lawyer.

Have fun with your 3 heart attacks, divorce, alcohol abuse and boring, facile lives you poor bastards. I hope you at least have a scholarships
>>
>>39572253

I've been doing appellate practice in NY and NJ for last 5 years. first, why the fuck are you in law school, Jesus Christ, if I could only go back in time. second, how the fuck are you in law school, writing a 40 page brief in a night without having even read the case file is impossible. you might as well just wipe your ass on a blank sheet and turn it in. is it just a first draft? also, seems like a strange time for a brief submission, law schools should only been open for a couple weeks at this point. did they at least give you the relevant case law? I hope tiki have something to work with, otherwise you're fucked, assuming you don't get an extension (which happens all the time in practice, however).
>>
>>39572820
hey Im not op but I'm that faggot who ghosted you about a year ago in a /pol/ thread- I just wanted to say first term kicked my ass but I made it and now have been kicking ass- got any advice on getting a job? I did my summer internship over at a fed court clerking shit but idk what I should do for this summer
>>
>>39572820
Too real buddy, too real. I'm waiting on bar results.

You beat me to it. I don't believe a 40 page brief would be due this early in the semester, nor would it ever be assigned. It doesn't make sense. No prof wants to read that shit, 40 pages is like a law review article or a directed study academic paper.

OP is a lying faggot, but why make this up?
>>
>>39572863

Not him, but I'm >>39572881

You doing OCIs right now? Hope you have the grades and charm to land something from that. Otherwise you're stuck making shit money until you can make a name for yourself.
>>
>>39572820
>>39572881
Holy shit why would actual lawyers be on this site? What the fuck.
>>
>have to go through ten thousand documents to check for relevancy and privilege by next week

>only done about 800
>>
>>39572932

Literally 90% of r9k are just betas but with a very bright and successful future aka not me.
>>
>>39572932
Started browsing when I was in undergrad. Never found a way to stop.
>>
>>39572909
well fug me, no I didn't do that and I don't have a job this semester since I honestly was told by everyone I wasn't going to make it past spring semester (I proved them all wrong but I've fucked up job shit, only doing 8-5 all summer with no probing into fall jobs). What should I be doing? I think I can land something with the Fed court again as they straight up told me to apply again.

I have average grades atm but I am charming.

If I want to clerk for a shithole court somewhere- how likely can I land that without OCI jobs or jobs during the school year? I don't have anyone who is a lawyer in my family so I am very much on my own and any advice is welcomed- thanks for responding to me
>>
>>39572991

law does not attract or allow for betas. it's the least robot thing you can do.
>>
>top school for specific major
>specific major is easy degree
>get hired for easy job after easy schooling
>make decent money at worst
It's like you guys don't know how to make realistic life decisions. Every idiot here either goes full try hard STEM or gets a literal meme degREE like psychology or history
>>
>>39572932
>Im a real robot meme
Lawyers can be robots faggot. Some get shit pay and you think people like them?
>>
>1 page finger painting assignment due tomorrow
>Haven't even picked the colors
>>
2L here. My law school operates on a quarter system so my clerkship is ending next week and classes resume right after.

I consider myself fortunate to have gotten litigation experience in appellate court too. The issue was simple and very straight forward but I had senior counsel hawking over my shoulder the entire time and they ended up drafting and straight up writing most of my trial brief so it still ended up being ~40ish pages too.

Got to interact with some qt3.14 legal assistants at least.
>>
>>39572932
I'm a cyborg I think. I'm mainly here to empathize but mainly laugh at you faggots.

>>39572959
>reviewing internal employment emails
>get to read about HR and several other departments calling a doctor retarded

entertaining doc review is the only way to go.

>>39573011
Why wouldn't you do OCI? What shitty school are you at where people told you that you will fail? Get a job, any job. If you're a 2L you should be working part time somewhere. Make connections. Go to any networking events. Make friend with your classmates who have ties to attorneys. Do anything you can. See you can get on law review for next year, it's probably too late now. Every job is competitive, even if you're getting paid $40k

>>39573041
Yeah but that's different than a 40 page assignment in school. True that on the qts, I was eye raping a judge's sexy clerk all day today.
>>
Worst legal careers

1. Corporate/commercial - glorified precedent copypaster
2. NGO - pay is dirt, work is hard, coworkers are usually weird
3. Commercial litigation - case law scavenger hunts, reading and writing, and editing and formatting. You never actually go to court - you don't even own your own robes.
4. Criminal defense - enjoy waking up at 3am to talk to some drunk mouthbreather who just stabbed his friend
50. Family - interesting cases, lots of drama and gossip material, but you surely must feel bad about breaking up families because your client doesn't want the father to ever see his son again
99. Class actions - find the most pathetic looking people to be "representative" plaintiffs, and blackmail companies to get settlements
100. Personal injury - adrenaline-junkie advocacy, though the pay is extremely variable
101. Criminal prosecution - good hours, interesting cases, actually get to go to court, makes you feel like you're doing something good for the world, pay isn't too great
102. In-house counsel - great hours, good pay, easy job, long vacations
>>
>>39573146
>50. Family - interesting cases, lots of drama and gossip material, but you surely must feel bad about breaking up families because your client doesn't want the father to ever see his son again

I love it, it's never boring and it keeps me entertained. I interact very well with clients and can fake empathy. The only problem is getting paid post-judgment.
>>
File: iStock_000019977044XSmall.jpg (198KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000019977044XSmall.jpg
198KB, 425x282px
>>39573025
You have no idea what you're talking about, my man.
>>
>>39573171
they may be autistic and quiet but they aren't "beta" in the r9k sense.
>>
>>39573146
also PI is absolute trash and should be #3 on your list.

And being a prosecutor is working for the government, so fuck that.
>>
>>39573166
I can only imagine how fun it is advocating for some lesbian woman trying to get her sperm straws back from her fat ex-spouse.

Sure beats dealing with contract dispute #47,518,281.

I kinda wish I gave family law a chance back in law school but I got sucked into the BIGLAW whirlwind.
>>
Can you be a lawyer if you have social anxiety and a non-threatening look or will people never take you seriously?
>>
>>39573140
I cant do law review since I need to be top percent and I cant with the shit grades I got first term- and I honestly was so focused on staying in the program, that I didn't look into what OCI even was. What sort of thing can a 2L even work part time at? Sorry for being being a literal retard, I am a bit lost in all this- I know I can do this I just need a bit of guidance
>>
>>39573212
>some lady slips and falls at a grocery store
>get a big contigency fee
>jury trial
>dress her up for some photos and make her look sad and helpless
>punitive damages through the roof
>make a million bucks
>laugh all the way to the bank

You're telling me PI isn't like this?
>>
>>39573252
I'm hoping to get in the family law big law. Big firms look for 2-5 years experienced attorneys to bring in.
>>
>>39573262
Tax law, in-house counsel, IP law, government legal departments, etc. There are options, though you should avoid the Big firms like the plague - a number are glorified frats but with a lot more money for coke and hookers.
>>
>>39572253
40 pages isn't brief at all. They should call it a long or a boring.
>>
>>39573028
what major you dealin son?
>>
>>39573262
You can do transactional law but you will probably not get through law school or job interviews.

>>39573270
I don't mean to be rude but if you're asking me this then I don't know what you're doing. Small firms are always looking for clerks to work part time. Are you at some shitty unranked school or something?

>>39573278
more like

>get a stupid nigger lying about her "injury"
>scam as much as you can out of insurance
>have shell companies set up in your relatives names to bill insurance for all the bullshit "medical services"
>get fucked by case eval
>maybe go to trial, try to convince a jury your client isn't literal human shit
>get fucked by damage caps

>>39573308
Never gonna happen, you don't just "get" those jobs if you have social issues. And IP law is full of litigation like anything else.
>>
>>39573378
Don't worry, be as frank as you want with me, as I already said, I have no lawyer in the family and my advisor fucked off somewhere- I go to an accredited school in the capital of my state, its well within the top 100 (not amazing I know). Honestly I don't know what I am doing, I think that is the problem. I just go to class and study all day. As I am now a second year I have quite a bit more time that clearly is for this job I was too dense to realize I needed.
>>
>>39573447
Advisors are useless. Mine were piece of shit affirmative action hires.

Go on your school's job board and look for part time jobs in areas you think you are interested in. And do everything else I said above. If you are outside of the top of the top, getting a job is about luck or connections. Make friends with classmates whose parents are lawyers/judges or are connected.
>>
>>39573146
My criminal defense lawyer was not what I expected. Especially since he cost $8,000.

My lawyer did nothing except grudgingly talk to me and go to my arraignment. I wasn't some annoying idiot either. I had a very specific question and only asked for a chance to discuss the question with him ONCE.

The paralegal took a statement from me and discussed everything else. It seems like she did most of the work.

I did some research into how to get my arrest expunged, and then discussed the issue with my lawyer. He didn't know anything about my options. He basically just told me people get arrested all the time, and that I shouldn't worry about it. I wanted to teach English overseas though.

I had to get my arrest expunged all on my own by researching the process, writing a letter, and filing some paperwork. Found lots of advice online that said I only had about a 1% chance of my request being approved, but it worked for me.

I thought about going to law school (I have a BA in political science and a >3.5 GPA), but it seems like the field is too competitive and I probably wouldn't be able to get into a half decent law school because I'm not a black lesbian woman.
>>
>>39573501
cool, I can do that- Thank you so much for being so straight forward and setting me in a good direction- Oh also side question, if a professor I know likes me and used to work in a field I am interested in, is it acceptable to ask them where should I apply? Also do part time jobs tend to be open at this point in the year? Of course I will go look, I need to get employment to be competitive, but I don't want to set my self up for unreasonable expectations. Thanks again, you saved this robot from being less employable :)
>>
>>39573447
2L here too. I think I was you at one point and realized too late that I needed to be working to supplement law school with. I was fortunate enough to be made aware of OCIs during first year orientation but neglected it until very recently. Ended up scrambling and applying all across the country and managed to finally land one. As far as guidance goes, I reached out to my business law professor whose lower division undergrad class I took and he ended up being the biggest resource of all for bouncing ideas off of and general experience with regards to the entire process.
>tfw 2 more months until the MPRE test
I just fucking realized it's actually fucking happening holy shit if you had told me 4 years ago when I was still NEET that I'd be near to completing law school. Not looking forward to being bound to paying the dues though desu.
>>
Doing my last year of law school in the UK, LLB and im getting top marks.
I'm transferring it back home to Canada.
anyone have any tips/advice?
>>
>>39572863
just getting to this, sorry. it's really about killing your grades, getting extra curriculars, and basically marketing yourself as best as possible. at my law school, everyone I spoke to had a dad, mom, uncle, etc who already made partner, so that sure helps. but the profession isn't total gloom and doom. be ready to work your dick off for modest bills though
>>
>>39572881
best of luck to ya man. I've got no idea why anyone would lie about that, even less about law school, fuck
>>
>>39573712
Honestly, if I get a job at all, I will be happy. I know I can eventually get a better job- right?
>>
>>39572932
because we are depressed substance addicted degenerates. plus, I was around here for a bit
>>
>>39573602
Your criminal defense lawyer juggles 15 other cases that he has on his mind which are worth more than yours. If he was experienced, your case would not have been unique and he could tell what the outcome would already be since he's gone through the motions of the matter hundreds of times before already and before the same judge as well.

While you have the right idea about competitiveness being a key factor right now, you should still have reverence and respect for the legal world. Literally the culmination of a thousand years of human ethics and principles that some of the greatest humans have devoted their lives to. Gaining admission to the best law schools are still vastly merit based. You seem quite confident in your degree and GPA but still make excuses for why you wouldn't succeed. The most outstanding law clerks that I've worked with have actually been those who didn't come from pre-law, poli sci, or humanities backgrounds; but actually the ones from STEM who had the greater edge in applying legal knowledge to their niches and easily found internships and clerkships in the legal divisions of their undergrad industries.
>>
>>39572932
It's not hard to be a lawyer. Any chucklefuck can gain acceptance to a bottom barrel program and gain admittance to the bar. The challenge is in becoming a good/successful one.
>>
>>39573754
I think so. I've been grinding it out go for a few years, but I didn't have a federal clerkship either. I think you'd be fine. law students today have to do whatever it takes to be in top of the resume pile. with that in mind, you'll be fine. it may not be optimal at first, but do some pro bono or pier diem stuff to get started.
>>
>>39573754
I regularly see recent graduates applying for non-legal positions and devaluing their own worth by applying for docketing or paralegal work and it boggles my fucking mind. Please don't be like them.
>>
>>39572253
>40 page case brief

Liar, a case brief will only take you 3 pages maximum

>I-it's a memo

bullshit again, most courts have a page limit of 12 with supreme courts and appellate courts at 15 pages. fucking larper
>>
>>39573944
wew lad I'm not that desperate, worst case scenario pro bono or be homeless or something
>>
>>39573976
That's a pretty ignorant statement. The highest appellate court in my state has no such limits as I recently helped file a 218-page reply brief.
>>
>>39573889
excellent- you just made me feel so much better- I know it isn't a guarantee or anything, at least it is a light - thanks anon!
>>
>>39574033
which jurisdiction are you in? I'm a 2L in the 7th circuit, and ecery practicing attorney I've met has told me to condense shit as most courts have a limit of 12-15 pages
>>
>>39572501
40 pages is not brief

this is why everyone hates lawyers
>>
>>39573818
I wasn't touting my major over a STEM major, and I know STEM majors have some of the highest LSAT scores. I really don't know what your point is.

I'm not really sure what mine was either. I guess that lawyers seem pretty whiny, and my experience with them has been pretty poor all around.

I applied for many UNPAID law related internships after graduating. Never got past the first interview because I guess I didn't have enough extracurricular activities, I wasn't "passionate" enough, and the county offices I interviewed in seemed to want "diversity." That's the thing - a supposedly respectable profession should have respectable standards that have stood the test of time. It's pretty worrying that the legal profession has been adopting all these half baked standards.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.