[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's it like being depressed? How is it different from

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: 493x335_depression_rmq[1].jpg (9KB, 400x271px) Image search: [Google]
493x335_depression_rmq[1].jpg
9KB, 400x271px
What's it like being depressed?

How is it different from a normal mental state and how is it different from sadness?
>>
It's just sadness. But worse and lasts longer.
>>
>>39508448
What up OP, I work in psychiatry, if you look up a depression scale like the MADRS or BASDEC and see what questions qualify someone as depressed it's pretty obvious stuff, no hope, suicidal intention etc. Some psychiatrists will only diagnose depression with a MSE aswell, looking for stuff like poor eye contact, monotone voice, no spontaneous effort etc.

Also is anyone here a medical doctor? I really want to be one and I'm applying for an MBBS degree next year, what is it like?
>>
File: IMG_4487.png (97KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4487.png
97KB, 645x773px
>>39508448
I used to be really sad, angry, and frustrated, but now I just feel numb and detached. Nothing matters to me anymore and I just passively float through existence, too apathetic to do anything. I do have periods of intense rage and frustration but they don't last long; I also feel like there are forces out to get me so I worry about those too. That's just my experience with depression, I wouldn't be surprised if iy is different for others
>>
>>39508448
I feels like living without a single purpose. You constantly want to disconnect yourself from reality, that's why depression often leads to unhealthy catharsis. You want to sleep all day from sheer fatigue. You would sleep for eternity if you could. The moments before you drift asleep you hope and pray that some dream wisp will take you away from this awful world forever. But eventually you have to wake up, and it's the most terrible feeling of the day. It feels like you've been ripped away from the comfort of nonexistence.
>>
>>39508748
100% this
Especially a lack of purpose. I believe that is also a root cause.
>>
>>39508748
are you saying you didn't explicitly wish you died in your sleep every night?
>>
Like a black hole that continuously sucks the life out of you. A dark cloud around your head making you unable to feel anything. Youre a walking corpse that manages to breathe. No emotions.

T. Hospitalized depressed anon
>>
every normie thinks they've been depressed and snapped out of it and tell other depressed people to do the same.
>>
Manifests in a lot of ways but it's consistent in what it does to your sleep. You are tired all the time. To deal with it, you either sleep in, don't sleep at all, or suffer the fatigue. Sometimes a little of everything.
>>
>>39508448
It makes you very prone to feel sadness, angriness, frustation, hopelessness, shame of yourself and/or other people and the way existence is, lowered sex drive or what is much worse; sex drive off the charts. It varies from person to person.
I was feeling like shit until like one hour ago when I finished masturbating (jerked off around 8 times today) so I no longer feel horny and my dirty horrible sexual thoughts and urges go away, so I feel quite better right now.
>>
>>39508748
I love the feeling just before sleep and I abuse the snooze button in the mornings to prolong that feeling. It also helps me remember dreams sometimes and dreams are the only experiences I have besides sitting in my cube for the past five years.
>>
None of these posts imply an actual physical reaction e.g. how is this different from just sadness, again

>muh sleeping patterns
>>
>>39508506
>But worse
to say the least
>>
>>39508448
take a few grams of an upper and the comedown will feel a lot like what depression feels like
>>
Stale and old noodles with a very small hint of garlic and lemon
>>
>>39509643
It's not just being a bit bummed out. Depression is feeling guilty, self-loathing, isolation, anxiety, feeling hopeless, and the worst thing is the numbness where you have no motivation to do anything. Normal sadness doesn't cause all of this, the most noticeable sign that it isn't just "sadness", is the suicidalness, because depression is that underbearable.
>>
Depression isn't sadness or blackness, it's nothing. It's the absence of everything, and it's constant. Food and music no longer bring you joy, and suddenly you're unable to concentrate on the hobbies that you once loved.
>>
As cheesy as it sounds it starts off feeling like you have your own personal storm cloud. You eventually get used to it after a few years, and become to feel cocompletely empty. It's also usually accompanied with anxiety, so something as simple as talking to someone, or going out with friends feels like it's out of the question. You're usually just in general sad , but you will have bad days way worse than usual "when it rains it pours". You're never truly satisfied, you're rarely motivated to do anything even if it's as simple as getting out of bed. Life in general sucks. Eventually when you do talk to people you'll sometimes let stuff slip, " life fucking sucks" ,"I feel hallow","there's no point in anything". It also feels like there's a constant haze or fog. It just sucks , and the worst part is when you get used to it you somewhat enjoy it. Like an abusive relationship. It's hard to enjoy good days sometimes because sad days can be very comforting. It's like a cell with an open door but you won't leave. Depression is gay and it needs to fug off
>>
Normal people experience sadness as a deviation from the norm, depressed people experience happiness as a deviation from the norm. Every time I'm in a good mood I confuse it with ecstasy because I just don't see it that often.
>>
>>39508748
>you've got no interest in the life you live when you're awake

>your dreams follow storylines, like fictions you would make
>>
>>39511153
To add, you know how if your throw a blanket on a dog, it kind of stumbles around but can still try to move? Every morning I feel like I have a heavy shawl around me that makes every movement difficult, and it feels like there's struggle in everything I do, like external forces are working against me (in a loose sense).
>>
Pretty much everyone in my close family has experienced depression. My father describes it as an anger directed at the self, and I'd say that's not entirely inaccurate. For me, it was a kind of discontentment over never being entirely happy, and more so over being human. Never being able to be in a prolonged state of positivity or to truly experience the world through another's eyes dwelled heavily on me for years. I was also very upset at myself - although I could not articulate this properly during my depression- for my lack of discipline.
>>
>>39508448
Being depressed suck so much you want to kill yourself. that's a joke btw haha
No joy, no sadness. It's kinda hard to explain how being devoid of emotion feels like, actually. Let me tell your this - you're not only devoid of compulsive emotions, but also it's like your emotional background is also absent. Can't feel anything.
Head is always feel kinda hazy, tired and sleepy all the time. This bothered me the most and It's the most "physical" feel you get. It's like how you feel when you're awake for 20+ hours, past that point when your active desire to go to sleep is halted but you still suffer from the lack of sleep.
>>
>>39511122
>You're never truly satisfied
This so much. No matter how good things go, I never appreciate them. This is one of the reasons why I quit gym, I was making very good progress, looking excellent, getting much stronger, but just lost the motivation, lost the point, instead only focused on how my glutes got big and thinking I was developing a femenine body because I have severe delusions and body dysmorphia.
Depression really takes it all, it not only makes things harder to do and accomplish but it also prevents you from feeling that feel of satisfaction when success. or when anything good happens at all.
And that feeling of satisfaction is crucial to make a person keep going, like motivation, hope, sleeping, and being positive, and depression kills all these too.
>>
>>39511344
I've felt depressed for so long but I never even noticed that side of it until now, and now that I think about it that hits way too close to home.
>>
File: 1411871326731s.jpg (8KB, 250x236px) Image search: [Google]
1411871326731s.jpg
8KB, 250x236px
>mfw I first learned that depression isn't the default state for most people
>>
>isolation
>hating yourself
>hating everyone
>hating yourself for hating everyone
>no motivation to do anything
>constantly tired
>suicidal
>but too addicted to jacking off or whatever to actually go through with it
>you feel it's all hopeless and shitty, and you're too
>and you can't ever say it's not true
>>
I was diagnosed with clinical depression a few weeks ago. Personally, I feel like there is no point to doing anything. Eating, waking up, hygiene, meeting friends etc.
I spend all day doing basically nothing. I remember staring at a wall for 2hrs once because I couldn't make myself do anything. Takes me almost 20mins of hyping myself up, just to go to a shop. I don't hate myself, but I want to be dead.
>>
>>39508448
If you want a fuller, more academic explanation which focuses on the mental and physical toll depression has on it's victims check this video out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc
>>
you have no energy to do anything, nothing feels fun, just want to lay down all day. You want help but seemingly nobody cares or knows what to do. It just goes on and on for weeks at a time.
>>
you might have told others to get over it in the past, just man up. Typically people can't understand it until they really experience it.
>>
it's like I'm watching a movie I hate and I can never change the channel.
Instead the only way to make the movie end is to blow your brains out but OH NO people will make you feel guilty for ducking out early.
>>
>>39508448
Imagine that making any decision at all is like staring at an impossibly high brick wall. You know you have to climb all the way up to make your mind up and act.
Your brain literally physically changes so you can't think any other way.
Have fun trying to live and be productive like that.
>>
10 pills and im stillborn :\
>>
File: 1443578328969.png (317KB, 796x712px) Image search: [Google]
1443578328969.png
317KB, 796x712px
For me it feels like waves in the ocean crashing against a cliff face, and with each subsequent wave they reach higher & higher against the cliff, tearing them down with each hit. It starts inside me and builds up to my head.
By then it's there.

I first began to experience depression after my girlfriend of many years left me for someone else. Mind you, I had absolutely no living family left. Grandparents who raised me had passed away, parents were never in my life, and I had no aunts, uncles, cousins or siblings. I was all alone at 23 years old with absolutely no friends or anybody to talk to. It was awful because growing up I was always a bit hyper and very talkative with people that did get close with me, family being a given.
I just didn't feel like anything.
I couldn't eat, my body just wouldn't except food, making me painfully full even after the smallest bite. Lost 40lbs in 3 months.
Sometimes when those "waves" reached my head I could barely stand and my muscles just couldn't support me as I lied on the carpet in my family home crying myself to absolute exhaustion. The crying could almost borderline hysteria. It was either out of fear of loneliness, my longing for my family and girlfriend who were gone for good, or all of the above and then some.
This went on for months, every single day. I also hated sleeping because I hated to awake back into this reality.

Keep in mind that depression obviously affects everybody differently, and you'll find a lot of people playing tit for tat when it comes to describing this kind of stuff.
>"That's not depression! This is REAL depression!"
>"You call THAT depression? Well listen to what I went through!"
A bunch of stuff to that effect. I was a bit disappointed to already see >>39509509
After going through what I call depression for myself, I cannot judge anybody who claims to feel this way or go through their own emotional trials that they've labeled as depression.

There is no set in stone description.
>>
>>39508448
head feels empty, mind is apathetic, eyes are heavy.
>>
>>39512765
This is a good way to summarize the last 10 years of my life.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.