[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any robots know how to program? I want to be able to make money

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

File: Kode-With-Karlie-.jpg (104KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Kode-With-Karlie-.jpg
104KB, 1024x1024px
any robots know how to program?
I want to be able to make money as a programmer working from home. What should i do?
>>
Practice every day, read articles and talk with other programmers.
>>
There's an irc channel for r9k programmers but I forgot the channel name
>>
>>39497144
>cd
>ls
>cd
>ls
>cd
Lmao this pic never gets old
>>
>>39497144
I usedto program in Visual Basic at my shitty community college but after realizing what a waste of time that was have been trying to learn Python.
I dont particularly like learning new things so this is huge ain in the ass. Only reason im learning at all is for a better job
>>
>>39497144
why'd you crop out the rest?
>>
Build something worth money.
>>
>>39497144
start with this- https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x
>>
>>39497144
You have to learn programming languages according with what you want to do.

If you want to make web pages, go to freecodecamp.com. There you have tutorials about front end and back end

Also, browse edx, course, udacity for more courses
>>
>>39497353
I forgot to mention this webpage: https://github.com/open-source-society It has a CS, bioinformatics and data science course
>>
>>39497144
>working from home
If you wanna work 100% from home you're gonna have to do freelance, and even then you'll probably be asked by the client to skype call every now and then, so you can't completely avoid human interaction.
Another way is to create your own company. If you have an idea that you can realize without needing collaboration with any other company, then after the initial registration process, you'll have very little need to communicate with others. Need an initial investment and said idea first tho.
>>
File: 132748972.jpg (171KB, 983x655px) Image search: [Google]
132748972.jpg
171KB, 983x655px
>>39497259
cd code
>no such file or directory
cd..
>command not found
pwd
>[dir]
cd..
>command not found
cd ..
ls
cd <dir>
cd code
>no such file or directory
cd ..
cd ..
>>
>>39497144
>I want to be able to make money as a programmer working from home. What should i do?
go outside a real job. I'm an actual programmer and believe me, no programmer works from home. You have your head in the clouds thinking someone would hire you based on your "self-taught programming skills" and let you work at home.
>>
>>39497144
Probably you will want to get a bachelors degree. Yes, you can be a freelance developer without a degree, but that requires more initiative, aptitude and social skills than you have. Getting to that point would take at least as long as getting a bachelors anyway.

Start of at community college and finish off at a four-year school when necessary. In the meantime, focusing on developing your skills, doing personal projects and working related jobs if possible.

Probably even then you'll have a hard time freelancing for a long time if ever. The problem with freelancing is you need to find people who will pay you to do work. If they need work done why wouldn't they have already hired someone else better than you? Good luck.
>>
>>39497462
you're assuming that all programmers want to be HIRED to work from home.
>>
>>39497277
ay? what's the rest
>>
>>39497579
yes, most of them are shy and have poor social skills. Anyone would love to work from home, you're just like anyone else in that sense.
Listen to >>39497567, seriously, if you enjoy programming go study it. It's the only way you'll be taken seriously and have a chance at it.
>>
Is it even possible to get hired if you dont have CS or IT related degree? I doubt it these days. What would be the point if there are too many gradutes already? Just have it as hobby if you like it but I dont believe you will ever get any money if you are not some godlike self taught genius programmer. You probably wont even get a chance so nobody will ever see your projects if they are not popular somewhere.
>>
>>39497645
>Anyone would love
You might be surprised at how many people either don't want that or find out that it's not what they thought.
>>
>>39497681
Soft skills are becoming more important than degree.
>>
>>39497645
>>39497681
>>39497567

I live in europoor country that doesnt even have CS degree option. Only some IT and thats it.
>>
>>39497681
>some godlike self taught genius programmer
that shit only exists in movies. The people programming at nasa or google may actually be geniuses, but they'd be more like 'mathematical geniuses'. That's all there is to it.
>>
File: 1378066946990.jpg (12KB, 424x394px) Image search: [Google]
1378066946990.jpg
12KB, 424x394px
I really fucking wish I did. I am so god damn bad at math and science, yet I have such a personality for those things.

I feel cheated, bros
>>
File: pleasestop.jpg (28KB, 247x247px) Image search: [Google]
pleasestop.jpg
28KB, 247x247px
>>39497144
>Not another one of these threads
>"I'll learn to program at home and start working from home! XD"
>"It's so easy! How come noone thought about this before?"
>>
>>39497710
Do you think I could get hired if I hold psychology degree? I have superior soft skills and web dev is my hobby for now.

There are basically no jobs in psych these days so I cant really use my degree. Would it be a plus or I shouldnt mention it if I ever get interview? I am kind of depressed so I would have to sort this first.
>>
>>39497804
>There are basically no jobs in psych these days so I cant really use my degree.
There are. Do you have bachelor or masters in psychology?
>>
>not learning COBOL and mainframe work so you can take an easy position from the people who are retiring right now
>>
>>39497804
My dad did and makes six figures now, but he did go back and get a masters in Comp sci after a couple years
>>
>>39497144
Well if you can program something to get into Gibson's then you can work at home
>>
>>39497826
>>39497905
Im in east euro so no jobs and still finishing masters but its pointless. The pay is a little bit above minimum and jobs are scarce. Its because too many wymyn want to study psych and help people or something. No CS degree exists here.
>>
>>39497144
How would I go about starting to learn how to program? Its always been an interest of mine but I have no clue where to start.
>>
>>39497804
There are jobs in the psych field. If you cannot find them, then you are very blind. The problem is that the jobs are shitty and always involve working with shitty people and are low-paying. There's a reason why the turnover rate is extremely high.
>>
>>39497645
You'd be surprised how many jobs require actual social skills. People don't just want code monkeys, they want human being who can interact with development teams to lead towards proper team synergy
>>
File: 1504370944302.png (773KB, 780x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1504370944302.png
773KB, 780x1080px
>>39497975
Not in slovakia anon. Only 3 job offers a month in entire country and few euros above minimum wage. It wasnt like that when I started but it changed in these recent years. Everything outside tech is poverty tier. This country is shit.

Only reason I havent kill myself is because of lain and coding as it gives me some strange autistic purpose.
>>
File: 1cwt28E.png (151KB, 766x664px) Image search: [Google]
1cwt28E.png
151KB, 766x664px
>>39497144
>women
>programming
Such a funny combination.
>>
>>39497144
I do. I work as a software engineer and it's relatively enjoyable.

If you want to work from home consistently, you'll need to either work at a place with a very relaxed "remote" policy, or do freelance, which is unreliable.

Honestly, getting a 4 year degree + internships is the best way to get into the field. You will have lots of competition though. Keep in mind you are not the first person to want to do this and that many others do this as a hobby as well. They'll be farther ahead if you don't keep pace.

Stay as far away as possible from bootcamps, they're bullshit and will only teach you how to copy & paste shit without understanding how anything actually works. I interviewed a guy from a bootcamp who had no idea what binary was. I mean, come on.
>>
>>39497144
some would call me a programmer i guess. I use unity game engine to make games. its in c#. I know Maya,zbrush, photoshop for the art aspect. I was trying to do everything myself is how I learned these things but I found out that you should just buy assets you need. It takes too long to make them even if youre good. Make good gameplay or make a good story and the little initial investment at the beginning will be made back many times over.

Its so much easier nowadays to make a game than it was in the past. Go try Directx or openGL like I did and you will see a huge opportunity that engines like Unity opens up

You cant go wrong with games...my opinion atleast.
>>
>>39497997
>People don't just want code monkeys, they want human being who can interact with development teams to lead towards proper team synergy

>anon how is your html page going
>it's almost finished
>okay anon

>anon summarize your program's structure, and explain why you decided to create classes instead of just creating three different arrays to store these values
>It keeps the program organized and this way it's easier to blah blah blah

it requires little to no social skills, furthermore, my point was that most people want to work from home, which they do, no matter how hard you try to delude yourself.

I've actually worked in programming and believe me, you'll be sitting 8 hours a day programming by yourself, if your boss doesn't ask for a paper summary at the end of the day, he'll ask you to summarize your work orally, and that's the maximum of sociability you'll get.
>>
>>39497635
Basically some instagram whore telling everyone how trendy and smart she is with her totes healthy lunch and mad coding skills and a bunch of other roasties in the comments telling her how amazing she is.
>>
>>39498132
I have a few question out of curiosity.
Did you finish said game?
How deep do you go into programming using unity?
Doesn't unity create the whole structure (which isn't bad, it's good not having to invent the wheel every single time)
Oh, I almost forgot this one, was it 2d or 3d?
>>
>>39497952
not op but theres so many programming resources online just pick some and get started. i started with a c++ book but you dont need to spend money.

just google c++ tutorial or whatever programming language you want to get started with.
>>
>>39498187
Oh, I know these people, they're annoying as hell.
>take a photo of a piece of code that looks complicated
>the more badly named variables and cramped text the better
>oh, and the visual studio with the 'matrix' theme so it literally looks like you're on the command line
>behind the visual studio window, the computer's wallpaper: "Just keep calm and I HAVE NO TIME FOR THIS I'M A PROGRAMMER " XDD
>subtle coffee jokes throughout all the day
>"programmers don't sleep xddd"
I have no idea how that guy had a girlfriend
>>
>>39497905
Fuck, i only have useless physics bachelor.
>>
>>39498366
We warned you to not get into STEM dude! Meme degrees is where it is at!
>>
>>39498230
I've finished several very basic 3d games but none of them I have put on steam or some other distribution service yet. It has mostly been a learning experience.

With Unity you can program everything or you can buy complete projects with most of the scripting done and all you have to do is add your own art and sound (you don't wanna use the assets that come with it). I would always try to do everything myself but thats not a good way to do it.

Unity does alot of stuff you would need for a game. You just drag and drop and it works lol.
>>
I learn python for machine learning and trading. I am finishing my physics degree and while I don't hope to be hired in the industry, knowing the libraries and algorithms would be cool
>>
Create basic bitch apps and get them on the app store with ads
>>
>>39497276
>I usedto program in Visual Basic at my shitty community college
i'm doing that right now. shoud I drop out? I'm also self learning too, though
>>
>>39498568
>You just drag and drop and it works
Do you get to create and code classes?
What is your experience with classes in unity?

I'm curious since I'll be taught unity, that being said I have theoretical experience in making games, I've been developing a basic 2d android game.
>>
>>39498553
I wish that i would've switched into Computer Physics instead of Energy Physics.
>>
>>39498750
You will forever work as wage cuck in retail with other liberal arts degrees.

Its badically like this:
>one chance at life
>not study CS
Thats it. Either get trade or military. If not possible enjoy being poor forever.

But dont worry. Soon all degrees and all fields will be oversaturated and everyone will be poor so the only chance at life will be: be born rich or kill yourself.
>>
I tried to learn web development (and I still am I guess). Learned the basics of html, css and was learning the basics of javascript but javascript was so demoralizing. It's so hard to grasp for me. I did 2 other beginner different javascript courses and the 3rd one I'm doing now is actually finally starting to click for me.

But I haven't coded in 2 weeks becasue it's so demoralizing.. but isn't this normal when learning this stuff..?
>>
>>39497144
learning to code won't get you any money if you don't have the social skills to get hired for freelance projects

t. autist coder
>>
>>39498750
There's definitely no jobs in nuclear physics, dude! You should definitely have done that. The field of plasma physics does not look promising either.
>>
>>39498062
She forgot std namespace, two ='s. Her line formating is retarded.
>>
>>39498802
You wont make it. If you are not great at it as you start you wont be fast enough to learn new stuff. Either learn at least 2 hours a day and like it or dont try getting a job in it at all if you are not CS graduate.
>>
>>39498744
yeah Unity uses c# as a scripting language which means it uses classes and all the other features of c#.

Lets say you drag a cube in the editor. Then you attach a c# script to the cube and in that script you tell the cube to move 5 units along the z axis each frame. Thats how it works.
>>
>>39498888
from what I've seen unity is the baby version of an actual framework. disappointed.
>>
>>39498828
There were plans about building NPP in my country but it was never built. I guess i should get into programming or trade. The latter is so demoralizing i mean you studied for 4 years just to be miserable wielder.
>>
>>39498935
People have been releasing professional games made in unity.
>>
>>39498935
Shin Megami Tensei V, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (this one I'm not 100% sure of, take with a grain of salt), No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Back, and Skyrim Nintendo Switch were all made in unity
>>
>>39498935
It's the results that matter. ;)

I can put out a decent game in a relatively short amount of time without having to write my own rendering system, sound, physics, gui system, scripting system, debugging systems, world building, etc.
>>
>>39498962
>>39499005
don't get me wrong, unity's great, I just hoped unity didn't do all the work. I enjoy looking into programs' structures, the more complicated the better, but unity and other game-making/app-making applications just make the structure for the person.
>>
>>39499005
>>39499078
holy fucking shit, i was wrong. I thought you meant unreal engine. Unitity is kinda bad, I agree with you.
>>
File: IMG_0969.jpg (44KB, 575x556px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0969.jpg
44KB, 575x556px
>>39497144

>graduate with CS degree
>start SWE job
>expect there to be at least a few other robot programmers there like myself
>everyone is either married or has a gf
>>
>>39499078
All unity does is offer function that run every frame.
You can fill them with whatever spaghetti code you desire.
No game developer ever complained that he has to do too little work
>>
>>39499390
they have so in wymyn eyes they are successful. Its not robots occupation
>>
>>39499390
>everyone is either married or has a gf
but they're blue-pilled as fuck.
>>
im not smart enough to learn how to code, at school i wasn't good at something called visual basic which was easy in comparison to other languages
>>
File: 1502056643589.png (333KB, 852x845px) Image search: [Google]
1502056643589.png
333KB, 852x845px
>>39497144
Nothing, the market is already oversatured with pajeets working for peanuts. If you want to make real money you need to write some magic app that google, facebook or some other company will buy for millions, or you need to get an office job, but at the office you need to work in a team, you never do things alone, it's all a team effort and obviously you will fail at that, so you might as well just kys yourself right now.
>>
>>39499603
This computer science is a meme degree don't do it
>>
>>39499603
>>39499660
best degree if you want to make a ton of money?
>>
>>39497144
Sounds like you'd want to get into freelancing gigs.
You'd probably want to start off building a portfolio to showcase what you can do to potential clients. Once you have a sizeable portfolio of personal projects, start advertising yourself.
>>
>>39500316
Get a Ph.D. in Wymyns Studies. You can get lots of money in research money and grants which you can easily pocket just like Anita Sarkeesian did.
>>
>>39497144
>falling for the a programmer working from home meme

If you don't know shit you first need to learn.
Best way to do that is work on real projects.
First pick a programming language that you wanna learn in depth, watch free online tutorials(this shit is boring as fuck but you have to have basic understanding) then write some shitty online store app or whatever and start applying for internships. You will get hired if you tell them that you're motivated to learn more and that you already made something by yourself.

After you get hired continue learning and asking whatever you don't understand. After 2 years you will know enough to be able to work from home.
>>
>>39498062
>Brianna
>Woman
>>
If you want to make a lot of money right out of the gate, you'll need to learn languages like COBOL.

COBOL is used across the world for banking and systems management, but it's ridiculously outdated, so the only people who know how to code it now are 60+ year olds.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.