[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw want to be a music producer >stuck in accounting

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0029.jpg (39KB, 660x574px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0029.jpg
39KB, 660x574px
>tfw want to be a music producer
>stuck in accounting major

what do lads?
>>
>>39376378
dont even bother dude i quit college and jobs trying to produce and i've been doing it for 4 years never sold a beat. nothing. its literally impossible

im finally giving up and just getting a job and going back to college theres literally no point its more work than college too fuck it i could of finished a fucking undergrad program by now and probably got a masters on top of that
>>
>>39376426
how many hours were you putting in daily on making music
>>
>>39376487
a lot like no one even believes me i mean i would wake up and either make music play piano or watch videos of people doing it until 5 am and i would even fall asleep to videos of people making music literally 24/7

waste of my fucking life no one near me even gives a shit because its all white people in a conservative shit town

wish i never downloaded fl studio
>>
>>39376557
Lemme hear your beats son or then you have literally no reason of complaining
>>
>>39376557
Kek, I'm not OP but I'm majoring business and I'm literally thinking of dropping out of business to make music. I'm at it 24/7 as well.
My first choice is the navy tho. Music is plan b.
>>
If you want you can be my producer for free and when we make it big we can split profits, OP
>>
>>39376596
i quit i dont care anymore

>>39376604
music is a piece of shit meme im not even going to listen to it anymore
>>
Hey man I make rent money selling hip hop beats, doing mixing jobs for people and (when I'm lucky) licensing my original music for video projects. I'm not rich and you've never heard of me, but I do make consistent cash off of this, doing what I fucking love, and my family/friends/peers respect what I do.

It's all about practice, knowing specific markets, and networking.

You need to get to know people who do what you want to do on a personal, friendship level. If you have friends who are serious about making money being creative, you stay in contact with them and trade off experiences and stories on a day to day level.

Once you have a feel for how people in a music scene communicate and what they respect, you can just pitch to people like a fucking insurance salesman until you get a few paid projects completed. Then, you're building a living resume.

Make music however you feel most comfortable - I've been using fucking fruity loops since 1999, but I tell everyone I use ableton live through expensive rack mount gear.

As far as getting good - just do it every day in whatever program you prefer. Treat it like sketching. Eventually you'll develop enough tiny gestures and techniques within the parameters of your preferred suite that you can create instinctively.

Seriously, don't give up. It's one of the easiest thing to break into if you're a bit dogged, and patient enough to pursue social relationships with other heads. Try lurking in Facebook groups where producers and talent-seekers self promote their own work, and study what they do right/wrong.

Don't go on Reddit or engineering forums, those people are armchair critics who posture as acoustic physicists. They'll just discourage you from actually ever doing anything.

Don't expect to be able to quit your day job unless you really pursue live gigging as a lifestyle.

With that caveat, god bless and best of luck.
>>
>>39377057
how long did it take you to make money off it? Ive been doing it for 4 years and never once had anything
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWsWRImDdpY

tfw a 12 year old makes a better track than you
>>
>>39377083
I made shitty acid house and IDM alone in my bedroom for nobody for 10 years.

One day I met a slightly manic friend who was absolutely determined to be a famous backpack rapper.

I'd always loved hip hop, so I switched over to making sample-based beats, starting by copying the drum patterns of specific songs I admired and then dropping in my own chops to create original beats.

Within one year, my friend and I had both released beat tapes on a hip hop label I won't mention here.
All we did was promote ourselves on Instagram and facebook, emailing small labels pitching to release a tape for us.

After we had those tapes out, I was able to find aspiring or semi-established rappers willing to pay for my music based simply on the fact that I had released music on a label. That's all it took.

From the point where I shifted to actually expecting money to getting it, I'd say one year. That's a slightly odd figure though because I had a ton of experience doing other things beforehand.

If I hadn't wasted time jerking off to Aphex Twin I probably could have gotten it all done within two years.

Thing to remember is that it's all job by job. Ask 30 times, get PayPal cash maybe six times. Each new connection brings in potential future work though - last year I mixed a track that had four different rappers on it. That's four new contacts, and four new people I can say that I've worked with.
>>
>>39377336
fuck how do you make music with no purpose other than just listening to your own shit? I used to do that for years but i cant anymore

but it sounds like you're just a better producer or something i dont have a friend or anything like that and my beats probably suck balls

where do you live? how did you manage to get put on a label can i lie about being put on a label? is it possible to produce music and just never get good im pretty shit at everything

do you still do the edm stuff?
>>
You're lucky man. If you have an accounting job, you have money to put in to it and do it as a hobby until you become good enough to possibly quit your job and do it full time.

I went to school for it, produced 3 projects for friends bands and my own band within the first year of being out of my school. However, I've been stuck trying to pay off student loans now and start up 2 bands again, but as we get older, everyone seems to lose the drive and doesn't want to put the work in.

I want to save up to get my own equipment so I can start producing my own beats as well, or at the very least start making songs in the way Frank Ocean started and maybe selling them to other people.

Just keep at it, man.
>>
>>39377414
>>fuck how do you make music with no purpose other than just listening to your own shit

Hahaha man electronic music is my religion, I'm a weird reclusive dude, I found god in a square wave at age 16 and when I die I think I'll probably be carried to the spirit world on a cloud of janky 80s Detroit techno. It's what I love.

Hip hop was NOT my first love. I do love it, but honestly it's just where I found solid work.

There's absolutely no reason to lie to get your shit put out on a beat tape label. You don't have to. There's no fucking quality control whatsoever.

Assemble 12 sample based boom bap tracks made from old library music you find online. Make an Instagram account and add every lofi beat head j Dilla asshole you see.

Go on Reddit and write down the name of every label you see who puts out beat tapes on actual cassette. Ask every single one of them. Half of them will do it for free if you don't actually ask for money.

Making tapes is piss cheap. Someone will put your shit out, man.
>>
graduate and get your MBA

work in a trash level local firm for an fairly comfortable wage and put your spare time into your music
>>
>>39377593
you dont need money to produce... i literally bought a 20 dollar laptop and just got fl studio
>>
>>39377725
This. You will need speakers though. A lot of people totally fuck themselves because they mix on headphones or think that monitors are "for later"

Even your dad's HiFi speakers will do. Any speakers designed for home entertainment and not computer games will do.

Just for gods sake don't engineer sound through shit speakers, just get them as early as possible

One paycheck guys it's worth it
>>
>>39377624
that sucks making trap beats was my passion and i loved the sound and everything but i fucking suck so much theres no point

i finally got good at making all the parts now im confused beyond fucking belief figuring out how to make my parts a chorus or a verse i cant even find motivation to keep going its just getting so god damn bland and i don't know how to make anything but trap beats i'd like to make simpler hip hop stuff but on beatstars and youtube and shit every single producer i listen to is better than me its like theres no point.
>>
Easy

Crash car
Break jaw
???
Profit
>>
>>39377725

This is true, but I'm used to recording already through Pro Tools and Logic. I've mostly recorded bands and haven't done much producing on my own, but the familiarity of Logic makes me want to use that as my DAW of choice due to the background I have with it.

However, I might have to give a free/cheap DAW a try to get back in to it.
>>
File: 1502811703239.png (83KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1502811703239.png
83KB, 500x374px
>>39376378
ditch that college meme and learn to make music on your own time
>>
>>39377725
>you dont need money to produce
Depends on what you wanna produce. A good microphone and interface are very important unless you're just making beats and soundtracks and don't plan on recording shit. A crappy laptop wont handle many heavy plug ins, you'll have to use at least three projects for every track and freeze tracks all the time, which is a pain in the ass and a huge waste of time in the long run. Not to mention headphones, monitors and (optionally) hardware which are relatively expensive unless you wanna buy used stuff, are rich or are fine with not eating for a couple of weeks.
A MIDI keyboard is a great addition but those aren't a big expense I guess.

But you can make average trap beats for free I guess.
>>
>tfw wanna be a rapper
>tfw no producer friend who works with me
>>
>>39377795
Homie you don't have to be a great producer to be a working producer.

Ever listen to Necro? He's a polarizing figure artistically, but even his harshest critics will admit that he's a fantastic producer.

All of his beats are straight loops. Just simple drum patterns and excerpts from songs he liked.

It's good that you're so focused on structure, coming from other forms of music into hip hop I have noticed a shocking lack of regard towards composition - but I'm telling you, none of that matters so much as just forcing your shit out there into the world.

Get a logo, take excerpts from your tracks that you like. Not the whole song, just the part that sounds dope.

Then put out Instagram videos with your logo over those loops. Put every fucking tag on it and friend every single other beat head you possibly can. Hit like on ever fucking stupid video you see.

Eventually (like within six months) every time you post any shitty best on Instagram, 500 Russian ass bots will heart your video. Now you look like people dig your shit.

A beat tape can be full of 1:20 beats. Just enough to showcase the musically interesting part of your track.

Put a bunch of those together and hit up beat tape labels. I'm fucking telling you, some of them literally won't say no. They will manufacture your music and sell it to people just because that's what they do. You might not see money off of it if you're desperate enough to give your first batch away for free, but that's a massive fucking first step.

I'm not saying "it's not hard" to be dismissive or be tough or anything. I'm telling you it's secretly easy as fuck. 75% of it is just pretending you're dope. People just believe that if you seem to think it about yourself.

You know CREAM by Wu Tang? RZA, one of the most respected producers of all time?

The entire song is just an unedited loop, repeated over and over again.

That's your high water mark.
>>
>>39378028
yea i dont really know what to do ive been staying up all night promoting my shit i have a twitter soundcloud beatstars etc all that shit

i made a insta and it got 50 followers for no reason now i cant remember the fucking password

someone asked me how much i was selling a beat for on one of my old profiles on youtube tho not sure why it wont happen anymore

is there a way to get around having my song arrangment shitty? Like letting them mix it themselves with stems? i cant arrange shit good i feel like
>>
>>39378028
what the hell are beat tape labels? theres labels that literally promote and sell your beats for you?
>>
>>39378274
I believe he meant recording labels who represent musicians/producers alike
there is a shitload of them, and most of them are just a fancy name who don't pay shit but just being signed to a label puts you above amateur musicians in terms of professionalism (although in reality it means jackshit, especially in the age of youtube and soundcloud)
>>
>>39378137
Make your arrangement as good as you think you can, send it to them and say "This was a pleasure to work on, hope we can work together again in the future, love what you guys have been doing", and then get paid. Maybe start with small no name cats who only want to pay you $50 anyway.

If you wait until your shit is perfect before doing jobs, you'll never do a job. I'm NOT saying to neglect the craft; but you're looking to be a worker too, right? Make agreements, do small jobs, get them done. It'll all fall into place as you walk the road.

There's a decent chance your structure isn't as bad as you think it is. Also, other people aren't going to be critical. They'll just see that you get shit done.
>>
File: IMG_4202.jpg (39KB, 576x531px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4202.jpg
39KB, 576x531px
Anyone advice for someone looking to break into video game music, soundtracks and music for projects like YouTube animations and stuff?
>>
>>39378342
who do u send this shit to? ive been spamming ALL over twitter emailing rappers messaing them posting my shit on their "looking for beats" statuses i never get anything back id be happy just leasing beats

do you have a way we can communicate outside of 4chan if youre interested i wanna show u beats and u see if they sound like shit

>>39378398
its probably not a big industry but just youtube video tutorials while ur daw is open
>>
>>39376378
>tfw found a rapper off of 4chan who meshes well with the style of the rap/hip-hop beats I produce and is motivated
>tfw we share many similarities
>tfw we already have a few really good songs in the works and I've been producing more frequently

The guy's seriously talented, makes me want to keep improving. He's also a good producer too.

I've been making a pretty sounding banger for a good portion of today. In fact I'm still in the middle of making it.
>>
>>39378398
Make short pieces, send them to podcasts asking if they want into for their shows. Ask to be credited. Work from there!
>>
>>39378445
What style do you both do? Where did you find him? I've been looking for a producer for a longass time and get none man
>>
>>39378442
Sure man I'm signing off for tonight, but hit me up

>>Sample wizard sales at g mail dot com

Not my primary contact, but I will get back to you
Best of luck homie
>>
>>39378472
anyone will at least give u a chance if u give them beats for free lol
>>
>doing the beta "produce"
>not doing the chad compose
fuck bowing to social trends, I want to make something on the level of classical greats
we have all this amazing technology they could only have dreamed of and you're making little ass shaking ditties?
maybe you're unsuccessful because you're soullessly catering to a market
>>
>>39378472
My style is more of modern day hip hop vibe. Think 808s and all that good stuff. The track I'm making now kind of has a gucci mane vibe I guess. If you listen to stuff by metro boomin, it's kind of like that.

Drop an email, let's keep in contact. I've been making beats for a while now, and the guy is helping me on learning more about mastering. He's a god at this shit.
>>
>>39378573
I've been making beats for a while (mostly of 60's and 70's samples), started writing and recorded recently as well. I don't know if I'm at god-level but wouldn't mind shooting ideas back and forth with you to learn and teach. Shoot me an email
[email protected]
>>
>>39378641
>[email protected]
Sweet anon, I'll hit you up. I probably should've just dropped my email hahaha. I've still got improving to do myself, so no worries.
>>
File: 1503807620663.png (216KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1503807620663.png
216KB, 600x800px
>>39378679
>Don't go on Reddit or engineering forums, those people are armchair critics who posture as acoustic physicists. They'll just discourage you from actually ever doing anything.
This don't underestimate how salty and jealous anonymous internet people can be just because you think you're above that behavior it doesn't mean other people aren't; this is especially true when it comes to artists. And even if it's not jelousy I bet there's popular commercially viable songs that don't appeal to your taste right?

Theres a place for advice etc but it's not on /mu/'s /prod/ or reddit etc

also anybody else tried landr? You drop the .wav file in and it does the compressing mastering etc it says they'll put your song on google play itunes etc too if you pay them
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.