[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got told in an interview I wasn't getting the job because

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: 1357097133829.jpg (65KB, 598x467px) Image search: [Google]
1357097133829.jpg
65KB, 598x467px
Just got told in an interview I wasn't getting the job because I talked too much, damn as if I was already depressed and disappointed enough. I mean the guy literally said

>"At no point during this interview did you stop yourself, I had to cut you off each time and as someone who majored in Communication I'd expect better from you."

I suppose he has a poinjt in a way, but how do I learn not to talk so much? I have some kind of problem, like I dominate conversations and can't stop myself, it's almost like some kind of speech disorder. Does such a thing exist? My whole life people tell me I talk too much, or I talk too loudly. I even majored in Communications because I talk so much, but it's like I can't physically control how fast/how much I'm talking.

If someone ask me a question and I try to explain it, instead of being precise and short about it I tend to go on and on until someone stops me. I'm guessing this is why I've had so much trouble getting job, and possibly a girlfriend. I wonder if I should just take up selective mutism or something, I just don't know anymore. Should I go spend a lot of money on a speech pathologist, is there some kind of self-help book for people with my problem? It's like I just want to keep talking and talking about nothing without stopping, could be that maybe it's because I'm lonely and just want to hear my own voice. I could self-diagnose myself, but it probably wouldn't be accurate.
>>
>>39362722
Autism Speaks.
Unironically.
>>
>>39362722
When you practice talking, time yourself.
>>
I'm a complete opposite, not talking much.
except for that I'm a loner too.
desu I fucking hate people who just start talking and never stop
fix ur shit op, you have no idea how annoying it is
>>
>>39362746
This. You should have told him you were autistic and you feel very discriminated against by what he said.
Then he would panic and give you the job so you didn't tell HR and take his job.
>>
>>39362746
Is that really a symptom of Autism? I'm 25 years old and never had any medical professional tell me anything of the sort, guess I never really asked if they could check me for it. I want to say I wasn't always like that, like I always kind of talked louder than other people, but I don't feel like I always talked so fast or so much.

>>39362748
Can you be more specific? I know you can do speaking exercises, but when I start talking with someone it's like I lose control of myself and don't even realize how long or how fast I've been talking. Usually you can tell when people want you to stop talking though, but I still keep talking anyway. I literally can't control it sometimes, my parents say I get anxious/nervous and it causes me to raise my voice as as defense or something.

Could I have some kind of anxiety disorder?

>>39362763
I'm trying to fix it, why do you think I made the thread? I don't know what's wrong with me, and I don't know how to fix it. That's why I'm asking. I don't know if I need to go see a medical professional and be tested for it formally, or do some kind of speech exercises everyday.
>>
>>39362722
That's not really fair to you. In a job interview they ask questions, you give answers, and tell your story. So the interviewer should expect you to do lots of talking.
Did you talk over, or not listen to the interviewer?
>>
>>39362806
Record yourself answering interview questions and keep rehearsing until you aren't rambling. Focus on being concise and direct. There are resources for practicing interviews, use them before you go around begging to be diagnosed with a mental illness.
>>
>>39362806
Diagnosed ASD here.
Yes, it is a symptom, one of many.
However, you'd need many more than just this for it to be Autism.
>>
>>39362722
Think before you speak. Everything you say should have a reason behind it. From what I gather your problem is you ramble. Short and to the point.
>>
>>39362834
I just gave long explanations, so I can admit that it was my fault. Like he asked "Why did you leave this job?" Well instead of saying "None of my co-workers took it seriously as I did and didn't want to work." I instead gave a long winded explanation that was beating around the bush, and at the end he said "So they just didn't want to work, okay."

I could tell he was frustrated because instead of saying a simple answer, I gave him this like 1-2 minute answer/explanation that could have been summed up in one sentence. I wasn't giving short and sweet answers, and I can understand that upsets people, especially during an interview. He didn't ask me to give him every detail, but I couldn't help it, it's like I HAD to go into detail for some reason.

They do ask questions, and I do give answers. But they aren't wanting you to give them your life story, nor every detail in a response. It's just tough for me I guess, or for some. I hate to beat myself up, but ultimately it was my fault. At least now I know, so I can try to make sure I don't talk nearly as much in the next interview I get.

I'm just trying to be somewhat positive, they say each time you get rejected from a job interview you shouldn't dwell on it, but instead keep moving on and learn from it.
>>
>>39363043
Yeah, I know you need to have more than one symptom to be formally diagnosed with it. I might have more symptoms and just don't realize it, maybe I need to have a professional examine me for autism, as much as I hate to even think about it since it sounds ridiculous
>>
>>39363179
I get that, but it's almost like I'm incapable of doing that. I lose myself in speech, and I also have a high rate of speech. I found out that a normal rate of speech is 140-160 WPM, but I'm speaking at around 180-200 WPM, been that way for as long as I can remember. I also can't control how loud I talk either, I talk an abnormal speaking volume.

People say I'm shouting while talking at them, but it doesn't sound that way to me. All I know is my rate of speech is too high, and I speak too loudly to the point I can't control it.
>>
>>39363284
When you go to an interview take some paper in a folder with your resume and the job listing. Write several answers down on the paper and take notes during the interview. Write down questions you havent thought about before. It would be my assumption one of your problems is you are freeballing and that causes you to eithet lose focus or slightly panic and word vomit.
>>
>>39363363
But I do this in general, not just in job interviews. I have always talked too fast, too much, and too loudly. I've had friends and strangers say things to me about, even previous employers as well. It's awkward when a stranger says something like "Why are you shouting?" Or "Do you know that you talk too much?" like it's really rude, but also really embarrassing.
>>
>>39363388
It could very well be a personality issue. Do you not care what the have to say? There isnt really a quick fix for speech issues like this. You have to nail down why you do it and then work on that flaw. I used to word vomit because I was nervous. I started being mindful when I speech but now I leave poignant silences which I dont know how they are interpreted. Go to a speech therapist if you cant do it on your own.
>>
>>39363455
Yeah, I feel like I might need some kind of professional diagnosis. I know people struggle with speaking/social issues and skills, I'm not the only one, but it just seems like it's always gotten on my nerves and I'm aware of it but never knew how to fix it. Figured I'd just be that way my whole life, though I never really tried to fix it. Like going to see a professional, or even getting a self-help book and trying to do exercises to fix my bad speaking habits.
>>
>>39363534
Just keep in mind that most sources are trying to help people who have the reverse problem as you and cant voice their opinion to others or have trouble putting thoughts to words.
>>
>>39362722
I'm curious, do you talk to yourself? If so, how often?
>>
>>39362722
Most people literally have the opposite problem. I always thought everyone, especially people at work, loved people who talk nonstop. Ah well.

Also, fuck that guy. He literally denied you the job because he was an insecure prick who wanted to dominate the conversation. He sensed threat in you. Superiors hate people who threaten them and their position. Don't listen to buffoons telling you there's something wrong with you, eg. autism. Everyone has it and nobody has it. You talk more than others big deal. Maybe cut it down a notch or better yet, look for a place where your talent is needed. I am sure the world is full of opportunities for people like you.
>>
>>39363211
Jesus Christ you can't shut up even in text
>>
>>39363211

i'm starting to see the guy's point desu
>>
>>39363832
lol what
dont encourage his probable conversational narcisissm
>>
>>39363891
Other people are irrelevant. You and yourself is all that matters. If he can dominate a conversation to people who are supposed to be his superiors, more power to him.
>>
>>39363687
I do, and very often. I don't have any friends, and I live with my parents still. I haven't had a friend my own age for like a year or so. I usually go to work and just sit in my room on the computer, and most of my interaction comes with talking to people on 4chan and what not. I don't have any real physical interaction with people my own age.
>>
>>39363832
>>39363926
While I appreciate your support and kindness, I do think there are problems with people like me who talk too much. I don't think it hurts to learn how to speak at a normal speaking rate, and a normal tone of voice.

>>39363839
Yeah, I noticed that I tend to type out long responses to simple questions online as well. Like I can't help it.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.