[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unpopular opinion: You're almost entirely responsible for

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_1532.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1532.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Unpopular opinion:

You're almost entirely responsible for your own misery. If your life is shitty, it's your fault, and you could be actively taking steps to improve it but instead you're sitting here complaining on a forum which will do you no good.

After all this complaining about tfwnogf, consider this: maybe you're just a shitty person and that's why nobody wants to date you.
>>
Sure is normal here tonight
>>
>>39352464
>responsible
>improve

He still thinks these concepts exist
>>
But I'm not miserable because of my personal situation, I am miserable because of the society I have to live in.
>>
>>39352488
If they didn't exist, we wouldn't have words for them. Linguistics sure is a fun field of study.
>>39352550
Other people live in this society and aren't miserable. Explain that.
Fun fact: happiness is directly correlated with an internal locus of control, aka belief that you have control over your life.
>>
>>39352575
WOW thanks for that Chomsky Maslow

Fuck off and never come here again
>>
>>39352601
Why are you so hostile to the truth?
Also Chomsky was a political theorist.
Maslow has been disproved for a while. These are contemporary findings.
>>
>>39352575
>Other people live in this society and aren't miserable. Explain that.
They have different values.
>Fun fact: happiness is directly correlated with an internal locus of control, aka belief that you have control over your life.
We don't have control over our lives.
People may BELIEVE they do, but you can only control so much of it.
The parts of my life that I can control, I am pleased with.
>>
File: s7S4dv8.jpg (208KB, 1024x892px) Image search: [Google]
s7S4dv8.jpg
208KB, 1024x892px
>>39352629
>he doesn't know Chomsky was a linguist
>>
>>39352630
>The parts of my life that I can control, I am pleased with.
Then you're not the person this thread is addressed to.
>We don't have control over our lives.
People may BELIEVE they do, but you can only control so much of it.
Of course. I have autism and clinical depression, so I know what you're talking about. However, we have more control than we often think, and we certainly have control over the most important parts.
>>
File: image.png (11KB, 815x703px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
11KB, 815x703px
You're right, but I still feel lonely. Is feeling like shit supposed to negate that? Am I supposed to say "It's my fault so I shouldn't dream of having a gf"?
>>
>>39352936
I feel lonely too, but being lonely doesn't mean you can't be satisfied with your life. Just move your focus onto things you're good at, and work on improving yourself as a person. Eventually, someone will come along. It just takes time. Unless you're the ugliest and most toxic/boring person in the world, and as long as you don't isolate yourself, I promise you'll find someone.
>>
>>39352464
We should stop sending money to the niggers in afrika
We should also hang pedos,corrupt politicians and Marxist indoctrinators
May not be a unpopular opinion here,but to Normie's its literally hitler
>>
>>39352464
I don't even think the normiest of normies believe that a person is entirely responsible for the position in life they find themselves
>>
Tell that to a starving Indian kid who had his limbs cut off to make a better beggar.
>>
>>39353450
I don't believe that a person is ENTIRELY responsible for the quality of his/her life. But in rich Western countries where people are afforded many opportunities, much of your happiness, and maybe even success, is dependent on you.
>>39353499
But you aren't the starving kid in India. See above.
>>
I dunno man, I have a good job, good grades, and a house but I still feel really shitty.
Maybe it's just a constant state of mind.
>>
File: 1473492302873.png (435KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1473492302873.png
435KB, 800x800px
>>39353102
>Unless you're the ugliest and most toxic/boring person in the world, and as long as you don't isolate yourself, I promise you'll find someone.

how do you stop being ugly, boring and isolated socially?
>>
>>39353695
1. Regular grooming and exercise
2. Develop hobbies, cultivate interests, set goals
3. Join communities related to the things you're interested in, and go outside often
>>
>>39353887
Not the same anon, but what if every hobby you try out makes you feel fake as fuck for it. That you constantly have to lie to yourself in the vain attempt to fill that empty pit inside, but you know that this "hobby" wont do shit. It's just another shallow attempt to regain some sense of normality and purpose to your otherwise bleak existence. The hobby crumbles under it's false foundation and you return to life living as a specter that haunts your mechanically operated corpse.
I'm sorry for ranting, but sometimes it makes me fucking livid when people bitch about a lack of relationship and yet still have hobbies. I don't care about women anymore I'm passed that. I just want something to care about.
>>
File: 1503640404246.jpg (17KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1503640404246.jpg
17KB, 480x480px
>cripplingly mentally ill
>therapy my entire life
>been on more pills than i can even keep track of
>do the le normie meme self improvement
>exercise every day
>eat well
>only drink water
>etc
>despite everything, not even the slightest bit of improvement
I was displaying symptoms of psychological disorders since I first started walking and talking. I have had therapists that I don't even remember because I was too young to form proper memories. I don't even know what "being content" is like, because I don't have a frame of reference for it
>>
>>39353637
>much of your happiness, and maybe even success, is dependent on you.
Prove that people have any choices, let alone choices to change the course of their life.
>>
I actually agree with OP, but happiness is only part of it. Your happiness isn't correlated to material wealth or sex, but your pleasure is.
>>
File: 1502433647047.jpg (135KB, 800x1043px) Image search: [Google]
1502433647047.jpg
135KB, 800x1043px
>>39352464
Of course it's my why the fuck do you think I hate myself?

>Be lazy and unmotivated
>Feel like putting effort into anything is worthless
>Want to die because it doesn't matter when you do anyway
>Doc says you have depression
>mfw therapy and SSRIs for 5 years and nothing
>All that's left is video games and drugs everything else is a sunk cost
>Emptiness and the occasional burst of anger are the only things I feel anymore, but even the anger is fading into more emptiness

Life is shit, for me at least. Some people can enjoy it but don't pretend like everyone is gonna be as enthused to be alive as you are.
>>
>>39352464
>If your life is shitty, it's your fault
pretty sure rabid dogs have more empathy and compassion than you do
>>
>maybe you're just a shitty person and that's why nobody wants to date you.
I've thought about this but I'm honestly not a shitty person. I just have a combination of traits that make me suck at love. I'm very good at other things, I'm sure someday a qt girl will fall in love with me. I'll just get laid less than the average man, but I don't care cause I'm not a degenerate.
>>
>>39353413
normies want to hang pedos

If you hate pedos, you are a normalfag to the extreme
>>
>>39352464
that is a disingenuous way of looking at it
there are some people who were genuinely dealt a really shitty hand in life
that does not mean however that they cannot fix their lives, merely that they aren't solely responsible sometimes
>>
>>39355188
Sure thing kidfucker
>>
>>39354741
Have you considered that you might be depressed?
>>39354891
Finally, someone understands the point I'm making.
>>39355011
>don't pretend like everyone is gonna be as enthused to be alive as you are
I have severe clinical depression my dude. This is a truth I discovered recently and I just wanted to share it. I always blamed my depression for my shit life, but now that I've started taking active steps to improve myself, I realized that contentment was within reach after all.
>>39355261
Trust me, as an autistic ugly clinically depressed brown poorfag with abusive parents, I know all about that.
>>
File: max stirner.jpg (43KB, 613x771px) Image search: [Google]
max stirner.jpg
43KB, 613x771px
>>39352464
>you're just a shitty person
good
>>
>>39352575
>Other people live in this society and aren't miserable. Explain that.
They happened to be born with personalities, preferences, ambitions, physical traits, and motivations that line up with what our society deems to be "correct".
>>
>>39352831
>However, we have more control than we often think, and we certainly have control over the most important parts.
Oh, so I can become taller and younger as long as I work hard enough? Or are you just going to conveniently declare those things "not the most important" because you don't happen to value sex as much as I do?
>>
>>39352464
/r9k/ has went to shit, thanks to all these "fembot" threads and the shithead enablers who orbit these so called robots.
>>
>>39352575
>Fun fact: happiness is directly correlated with
delusion
>>
>>39352464
i beleive the exact opposite of op. i beleive we literally have no control over our happiness. we are slaves to our brain chemicals and our environments. we dont really have a choice in the matter.
>>
>>39357744
You were born just like them. But you chose to become a robot.
>>
>>39357820
How would life be different for you if you were taller and younger? It wouldn't. You would be the same whiny manchild permavirgin you are now.
>>
>>39357979
>How would life be different for you if you were taller and younger? It wouldn't.
That would be very convenient for your platitudes, but you don't know that. Maybe I would have had people treat me well and become a more social person as a result.

In fact, the essence of your argument here is that nothing could have ever stopped me from becoming what I am now, which totally negates the whole "Everything important is totally under your control" bullshit.
>>
>>39357970
That's fucking ridiculous. If I were born just like them, I would have become just like them, because I would have naturally gravitated toward things that would prevent me from becoming a robot. If I were born like them, I wouldn't have "chosen" to become a robot. Or, since me being born like them means they were born like me, they would have become robots as well.
>>
>>39352464
Women complain. Men take action. Gender is a spectrum. If you're here complaining, you're on the feminine side.
>gender is not a spectrum, I'm an alpha male but tfw no gf
This is just proving my point further. Take action or shut the fuck up.
>>
>>39352575
>Fun fact: happiness is directly correlated with an internal locus of control, aka belief that you have control over your life.
Its also correlated with ignorance and a lack of intelligence.
>>
>>39358088
Perception over circumstance.

The others hold them at equal ground as it's crossed.

You should talk to them all as a past time.
>>
>>39358049
You are wrong. You are miserable because of your own life choices. How else do you explain all the other men your height or shorter who have a great life, and the miserable permavirgin tall robots?

Take a look at yourself again and think why you really are miserable. And what you could do to change it.
>>
>>39352629
OK, need to respond to this:
Chomsky works for the wealthy people. If he didn't, he'd get rekt.
Maslow was on point. It's our fault for finding ways to cheat through the whole thing. Hungry, insecure, unloved. That's the way it goes. With drugs, you can skip a couple of steps. With autism you can skip most of them by default.
>>
>>39358088
How were you different since birth? What uncontrollable factors led you to become a robot?
>>
>>39352464
>You're almost entirely responsible for your own misery. If your life is shitty, it's your fault, and you could be actively taking steps to improve it but instead you're sitting here complaining on a forum which will do you no good.
So if someone murdered everyone close to me and made my life shitty as a result, it would be my fault? Fuck off. There are things you can and can't control
>>
>>39358115
Robots are male sjw tumblrinas. Everyone knows that.
>>
>>39358178
Did someone murder everyone close to you? Write a book about it.
>>
>>39358190
No; its just a hypothetical scenario
>>
>>39358178

Everyone close to me murdered themselves.
Does that influence my own decision, even if that decisision is for the benefit of others weighed on a scale I consider seperate from the moral dillemas my friends had faced in their own demise?

Influence is nuanced. A behavior becomes acceptable regardless of reason.
>>
>>39358233
So nothing happened to you and you chose to be a robot.
>>
>>39358147
>Take a look at yourself again and think why you really are miserable.
My age.

>And what you could do to change it.
Nothing.
>>
>>39353102
This self-improvement meme is bullshit.

https://np.reddit.com/r/ForeverAlone/comments/55yija/musings_on_selfimprovement_and_time/?st=itxbvbfe&sh=abdd5434
>>
>>39358449
Are you 85 or something? What about all the millions and millions of people who are the same age as you? Are they all miserable?
>>
>>39358553
>complains about memes
>posts memes as "proofs"
>>
>>39358569
A multi-paragraph statement with supporting arguments isn't a meme. "Just improve yourself" is.
>>
>>39358562
>Are you 85 or something?
No, but I'm not young, either, and I can't like myself as anything other than a young person.

>What about all the millions and millions of people who are the same age as you? Are they all miserable?
I don't care. If they're satisfied with a situation that I'd find unbearable, then that's just a personality difference. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would find my ideal situation unbearable, too, but I'm not going to tell them they'd be wrong to feel that way.
>>
>>39355126
People who post "advice" like that do it to feel superior to others. If they acknowledge that people can easily by fucked over by things beyond their control, they might have to admit that their own "success" might not be entirely the result of what a great person they are, and that good luck might have helped them just as bad luck hindered others. They don't want to admit that it could have just as easily been they who got stuck in a situation they couldn't just "life choice" their way out of. They can't consider "There but for the grace of God go I."
>>
>>39352575

>If they didn't exist, we wouldn't have words for them.

I guess vampires exist now. How can we protect ourselves????
>>
>>39358698
People who whine about "advice" like that do it to feel nothing is ever their fault. If they acknowledge none of their misery is due to things they can't control, they would have to admit it's only their own choices keeping them down.
>>
>>39358767
Thinking that everyone has complete control over their lives is simply wrong. If things were as easy as you seem to think they are, no one would have any problems in the first place.
>>
>>39358818
Nobody ever said that, but your black and white thinking is keeping you down. You think that just because one thing somewhere you can't control, it means nothing is in your control. You couldn't even explain why you couldn't improve your life without retreating into denial and memes.
>>
>>39352575
I can throw out psychology terms too: People can repeatedly put in all the effort and still fail, or simply have enough things go wrong, that they developed learned helplessness, AKA the belief that failure and suffering is unavoidable. They can become literally incapable of seeing a way out even if there is one.
>>
>>39358880
>Nobody ever said that, but your black and white thinking is keeping you down.
And here we go. You're saying it's not really easy, and therefore, the people who manage it do so because they're morally superior and have the right to look down on the inferior people who don't make it. You've proven my point exactly.

>You think that just because one thing somewhere you can't control, it means nothing is in your control.
One thing can be all it takes if it's a big enough thing. Just because other things might be within your control doesn't necessarily mean you give a fuck about those things.

>You couldn't even explain why you couldn't improve your life without retreating into denial and memes.
And you couldn't respond to any of the points without retreating into labeling something as a meme, making accusations, and being a self-righteous prick.
>>
>>39352464
You know, if someone is depressed enough that they're the target audience for these statements, telling them these things will only drive them further into depression, and it'll become even more difficult for them to do anything. Of course, I doubt that means anything to you, since you're just here to kick people when they're down.
>>
>>39352575
>>39358929
Here's another psych term: Unconditional positive regard. Basically the idea is that you just treat everyone as if they're inherently valuable. Telling someone that their misery is all their fault because they're a shitty person who made bad life choices and therefore they deserve everything they get doesn't really facilitate that.
>>
>>39359156
Actually that is treating them equally. Telling them lies that nothing is their fault and they are special snowflakes is giving them special treatment, not treating them equally.
>>
File: 1502237716251.jpg (109KB, 1024x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1502237716251.jpg
109KB, 1024x1280px
>>39356851
Hello my dear property
>>
>>39352464
>disabled people are at fault for having disabilites
Hmmm really establishes a basis of thought
>>
>>39352464
I agree. I believe people are almost 100% responsible for everything that happens in their life, good or bad.
t. been on /r9k/ for 6 years
>>
I agree with you OP, I personally am responsible for my own happiness since fucking normies have never given useful advice for finding happiness, and I had to figure it out myself.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.