[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Live in the 70's,80's,90's >It's "hip"

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

File: 1493113797854.png (79KB, 1080x1202px) Image search: [Google]
1493113797854.png
79KB, 1080x1202px
>Live in the 70's,80's,90's
>It's "hip" to be a unique individual
>Be in 2008 onwards
>You have to be like everyone else or mocked mercilessly
What caused this?
>>
>>39094015
Ever hear of Huey Lewis and the News? I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.
>>
>>39094015
the jews. The jews are behind everything.
>>
>>39094015
It was never "hip" to be unique. It's just that a few lucky weird or smart people sparked trends. All the others were laughed at and ridiculed just like today or any time
>>
>>39094015
People will always be pressured to conform as long as they are around other people.
People just don't like people different than them, whether they look different or think different.
Conformity is always something you will be forced into if you want to interact successfully with other people, it's just simple human nature.
>>
>>39094015
there's a difference between being unique and being a freak.

unique
>unconventional hair (long hair on man, short hair on woman)
>wearing clothes that are a reflection of who you are + your interests while being tasteful (i.e. punk/crust style) (i.e. baseball shirt w/ kpop-style pants and heels) (i.e.colorful clothing)
>having enough self-confidence in yourself to be able to answer questions about your style in a calm, collected manner

freak
>casually dressing as a form of cosplay/drag
>wearing anything that's screaming for attention (clashing patterns and many accessories)
>clown hair (partially shaved)
>when people comment on your clothes you're instantly triggered
>literally just looking a certain way because it's "trending right now"
>>
>>39094089
perfectly timed movie reference. Can I take the ax to the face?
>>
File: patrick-bateman-axe-gif.gif (500KB, 487x204px) Image search: [Google]
patrick-bateman-axe-gif.gif
500KB, 487x204px
>>39094571
Sure.

>HEY PAUL!
>>
>>39094015
That's a good question, and >>39094097 The Jews only serves to end the conversation. I wasn't alive in The 70s, but with things like Disco conformity was a big thing. The Counter-Cultural movement in The 60's served to distance youth from the draconian control The Man had over them, but if you go back throughout history like in Victorian England, conformity was the only way of life. I remember a sketch with Zooey Deschanel on S. N. L. which was a period piece and all they could do was be proper and hope for a suitor to ask them to marry them. Even if Mean Girls & co. retain ultra-conformity I still think conformity is on the wrong side of history and it merely depends on who your friends are.

Gay dudes are ultra-conformists so if you associate with them you'll have to act, dress, talk and think like them. When I was in High School Nu Metal was a thing, and such people did what they pleased. But it seems like Rock music is dying, and in the words of the dude from The School of Rock (2003) rock music is a way to stick it to the man. If everyone is doing what they're told then there's no one to write Rock songs, and consequently kids going up today won't have that counter-cultural influence.

As bad as this is going to sound, Social Media may be contributing to the increases in conformity. Now any comment you make or any thought that you think which you post on Facebook or Instagram is subject to the judgment of all of your peers. All the cyber bullying stuff in the news is probably kids all dropping the hammer on one another to keep them in line.

With increases in conformity come decreases in original thought, and along with Rock music I think all of the arts will suffer. I don't think that Modern Art in and of itself is bad, but bad artists I think tend towards the style since it seems to be the easiest to make and they therefore produce bad art. Here's Andy Rooney on Modern Art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsfX6xqCBks
>>
>>39094015
>You have to be like everyone else or mocked mercilessly
this is only true if you lack charisma/confidence

but i guess i am on /r9k/
>>
>>39094097
Monopolies in the entertainment business and media, its only what sells now, it used to be a lot more privatized. Now you have conglomerates pumping out identities to people what you should be like how you should act. Thats where the whole youve got to play along to get along comes from.
>>
File: 1502594358867.png (71KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1502594358867.png
71KB, 251x251px
>Not even a decade ago, face/body piercings, neon-colored hair, and tattoos was seen as a negative thing
>Nowadays literally everyone and their kids and their grandparents are dying their hair all sorts of wacky colors and getting tattoos and piercings all over their bodies

What happened?
>>
>>39094793
Society realized none of that shit matters
>>
>>39094015
How much of a youngfag are you anon?
>>
>>39094724
agreed

goddamn I hate people who are black and white thinkers
>>
>>39094808
Then why do their lives revolve around it? "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME BUT DONT YOU DARE FUCKING JUDGE ME FOR ANYTHING EVER YOU BIGOT"
>>
>>39094793
I still believe that many employers across the US view that type of stuff as degenerate and indicative of a rough past when hiring people. Have fun trying to get a job outside of fastfood/bartending or starting your own business.
>>
>>39094793
Its just the style of the times. In 20 years time people will look at pictures of us and laugh at how we dressed and how lame we looked, and those people? 10 years later their fashion will be laughed at by the newest generation about how dumb they look.

Pic related, she was like an icon for teen fashion in 2004 - 2005. And back then this looked cool and we used to look back at people in the 80s and think "Wow. they looked so dumb, I can't believe they thought they looked cool! We dress so much better now."

Its just how fashion is. Remember the Justin Bieber cuts and the emo bangs of the 2000s too?
>>
>>39094015
You don't have to conform, you just need to not base your life around being nonconformist. Do what YOU want, not what will get you the most attention. (Also don't be a degenerate)
>>
>>39094015
pressure on conformity has always existed. thats why the punk movement was a thing.

And it's never been cool to be unique and authentic no matter what. But it aint always equal. Maybe your authentic self sucks. Basketball shorts and playing runescape all day and listening to k-pop may be being yourself or a unique individual but you still suck
>>
>>39094015
Trends come in waves. In the 50s it was popular to be conformist. The 60s rebelled. Every generation wants to rebel against their parents. Right now we are dealing with the fallout from hippies and baby boomers. Soon people will be rebelling against their straight edge parents. It's a cycle that will will never stop.
>>
>>39094872
was not expecting for ashley titsdale to pop up on this here 4chan board
>>
>>39094957
nothing ever ends
>>
>>39094853
People, especially girls, like attention. Most girls that I've known that dye their hair also usually have depression issues or whatever and dye their hair to sort of reinvent themselves and "start a new chapter" whenever something happens in their lives that makes them unhappy
>>
>>39094969
Have some early 2000s Hillary Duff too then.
>>
>>39094872
I can't stop laughing at this picture. She looks so fucking stupid
>>
>>39095040
"I can't believe the stuff we used to wear in the 90s, we looked so stupid then. Glad we grew out of that" - Someone from the 2000s.

The reason why people are starting to think others look stupid now is that we're reaching the end of the 2010s, so the 2010s fashion style is starting to look stupid. There'll be another fashion shift in the next year or two. Usually the final two years of a decade are a bizarre mix between the fashion of that decade and the fashion of the new decade. Then when the decade hits its full force. By the middle of that decade, the fashion of the last decade looks insanely dumb.
>>
>>39094015
i don't know where you actually got that idea. definitely not true. ever seen normie culture in those days??
>>
>>39094840
r9k's biggest problem is black and white thinking
>>
past the age of 25 this is not the case

>men

grown men literally do not give a single fuck about other grown men outside of their family or immediate friends. not a single iota of fuck. nada, zilch, nothing. they are shadows at best and obstacles at worst

>women

nobody cares what women think
>>
>>39095099
I honestly think the 2000s were just objectively bad. I can still appreciate a lot of the fashion from the 70's, 60's, etc. But between the shiny metal matrix-outfits of the turn of the century and the shit you've posted its pretty hard to find an example of something actually passable from that time period
>>
>>39095200
I actually don't have any piercings or tattoos, or hair dye. But I do enjoy fucking girls that do :)
>>
File: scene girl.jpg (58KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
scene girl.jpg
58KB, 600x600px
>>39094793
>Not even a decade ago, face/body piercings, neon-colored hair, and tattoos was seen as a negative thing
Idiot
>>
>>39095219
i agree with this although i also agree with what they said
>>
>>39095207
>nobody cares what women think

this should be obviously not true regarding the fact that you're browsing this board
>>
>>39095219
I dunno scene girls from that time are pretty hot. But yeah, it was a bad time in general. There was a lot of shirts on shirts.

Remember as a kid wearing the short sleeved shirt over a long sleeve shirt?
>>
>>39095358

>/r9k/ is the "waaaah i can't get laid" board

/r9k/ was a board for people who had accepted this fact and moved on before all you fucking normies showed up
>>
>>39094793
>hes ignoring various groups of people/chapters in history over the last 4 decades

really
>>
>>39095402
are you truly going to pretend there's no pathetic betas on here who are obsessed with what women think of them? also where did i imply that i was one of them? that's a reach buddy.
>>
>>39095454

we're packed with then, and they ruined the place like LARPers ruined /pol/

anyone who thinks that 4chan has been anything more than text based improv comedy for almost 15 years ruins the fucking place
>>
>>39094015
The 90-00 generation wanted to be so "unique" and "original" that they forgot what it meant in the first place and made it another sub culture like mall goths or wiggers. What sub culture could this be? Look at tumblr and you will see.

Now it's hip and unique to not be hip and unique my dude.
>>
>>39095540
I think a great example of this is Nerd/Geek culture nowadays.
>>
>>39095383
God those were dark times.

It's already kinda happening for the early 2010's too. Remember those wristbands that were shaped like animals?
>>
>>39095240
Retarded teens have always been see as a negative you stupid fuck.
>>
>>39095454
He said before you normalfags showed up.
>>
>>39095590
So retarded teens continue to be the negative to this day. You have no point.
>>
>>39095574
I remember it was cool to wear a bow tie, that's dying out.

Also glad Fedoras got memed out of existence. That was a 2011 - 2013 thing.
>>
>>39095552
>Nerd/Geek culture nowadays.
I hope you get cancer faggot.
>>
>>39095552
Dead on my dude, give it 5 years and a new "unique" style will be the new cancer of the lustrum. Hipsters and other cunts for some bizarre reason take that long to catch on.
>>
>>39095637
It has NEVER been cool to wear a bow tie.
>>
>>39095524
>LARPers ruined /pol/
huh?whats the story on that?
>>
>>39095630
That other anon implied shit like that 'scene girl' wasnt a negative while most people would have viewed it as one
>>
>>39095524
>he thinks they are LARPERS
all those stormfags and other idiots are real.
>>
>>39095679
Lurk more you disgusting little faggot
>>
>>39095637
>its a child trying to be nostalgic episode.
>>
>>39095679

/pol/ used to be hilarious, now it's just RL shit like street protests, "antifa vs alt right" (attention whores vs attention whores), social media drama, e-celebs and all that. absolute vomit inducing normie central

>>39095718

yeah, LARPing is a very inaccurate term, but it's just useful seen as everyone is using it now
>>
>>39095649
For what? for mentioning something?
I genuinely dunno why you're mad at me? What did I say that was so bad?
>>
>>39095780
Its amazing how /pol/ doesn't realise how normie they've become now. It's the most normie board, even more so than /b/ and /v/ now.
>>
>>39095783
Because you're a stupid normalfag kid that buys in to this shit to begin with. Kill yourself faggot.
>>
>>39095877
I believe you have read my post wrong. Please reread what he said, then what I said. There is no need to be so angry over it.
>>
>>39095804

i'm pretty sure that normies flooded /pol/ after brexit and trump when they realized how useful the place could be, and that those of us who were there for the meme wars and never really cared either way just left when it stopped being funny

/v/ isn't that bad now that overwatch in no longer fotm

i am very drunk and probably thinking too much into all of this. all i know is that /pol/ isn't funny any more and it's nice to know that others agree
>>
>>39095804
/tv/ seems like the most normalfag board. It seems to be the first stop for new redditfags as well.
>>
>>39094015
>tfw the norm is that everyone be a hip unique individual
>Stop trying to act normal anon you need to be like the rest of us
>Conform
>Where's your individuality!?
>>
>>39095895
Shouldn't you be watching got in a bar with the other numales and tumblr whales? Fucking queer.
>>
>>39094872
Early to mid 2000's fashion is now getting to that "how the hell was that cool" phase and that's terrifying because it means I'm now old.
>>
>>39095920
Actually nevermind, forgot about /soc/ That for sure is the most normie.
>>
>>39095986

it's a containment board just doing its job
>>
>>39095919
I think we're suffering from post-election burnout where a lot of people just want to continue with their lives now. They're done with politics, they don't wanna discuss it, at least on the level it used to be. They just wanna go back to how things used to be.

But now you've got people on both sides who won't let go. The most likely reason is they've found a sense of belonging within both groups. They feel like their voices are heard and their opinions matter and they don't feel shunned out for once.

They wanna continue the game, but they don't realise for most people, the games over. They just wanna continue on with their lives now. Elections across the west are done. Lets move on. But they won't.

This causes political burnout. Pretty much now if you bring up politics people go "Eugh lets just not talk about that." I'm even seeing it on R9K now. But it's mostly an IRL normie thing. It's starting to be uncool to talk about politics again.
>>
>>39095970
Why would I be doing that?
>>
>>39096119

you're absolutely right, people found camaraderie and want to hold onto it. i just don't get why it stuck here. i always saw 4chan as a place for people who never wanted to belong to anything and instead laugh at those who did
>>
All you retarded youngfags are embarrassing yourselves. Fuck you and your nostalgia for 5 years ago.
>>
>>39096226
People always try to relive glorious moments. They want what they felt back in July - November when the Election was at its peak. Because now it's all dying down, and they're starting to feel how they used to again, and things are getting back to how they were, how they felt before they belonged.

Its that feeling, plus /pol/ just being more well known so people troll it a lot and LARP on it a lot as it's guaranteed to get replies.
>>
>>39096119
>wanna
>"Eugh lets just not talk about that."
>IRL normie thing
The worst thing about 4chan these days is the normalfags like you faggot
>>
>>39096226
>>39096281
Babies first election. Shut the fuck up retards
>>
>>39096334

name one thing outside of the mccain girls that was funny in the previous one. /new/ was never really behind romney like /pol/ was with trump, it's just that obama is black and everyone had 16gb of nigger memes to post
>>
>>39096383
I dont give a fuck about the election. Fucking retarded youngfags theses days huhh trump, boipussy. Fucking faggots.
>>
>>39096575

i am older than you, i have been on 4chan longer than you and my dad is bigger than your dad faggot
>>
>>39095219
Yeah fashion wise the 2000s were always shit.
>>
>>39096575
But we're talking about how shitty people talking about the election are.

It's very blatant who you are in this thread and it's pretty confusing why you're randomly starting fights in a thread full of people you don't know. You just seem to be going from poster to poster hoping for that reaction, really. The major issue that you have is that you seem to read the first half of the message and then get insanely annoyed to the point you launch attacks, without realising we're also criticising those people like you.

We don't give a fuck about the election either. You'd realise if you didn't just see the words "election" and get insanely mad over it and start typing without thinking.

If you're going to samefag then don't type the same each time.

This is the part where you launch insults at me as you can't think up a good response, by the way.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.