[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do i develop a reading habit? I am currently reading Norwegian

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: received_1311605108922725.jpg (37KB, 589x442px) Image search: [Google]
received_1311605108922725.jpg
37KB, 589x442px
How do i develop a reading habit? I am currently reading Norwegian wood and i'm having trouble consistently reading.
>>
tldr

next time just use emojis
>>
Fiction stories are in my opinion far superior read aloud.
>>
>>39062452
I remember reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in one sitting when I was six. Then I picked up Chamber of Secrets and couldn't get past the Diagon Alley chapter. It wasn't until five years later that I realized I could just skip a few pages and go right back to word-binging.
>>
>>39062452

I'm also trying to read Norwegian Wood and failing.

It's amusing at how depressing it gets over and over again but it just doesn't capture my interest as a book.
>>
>>39062632
> reading romance novels
Kek boy that's hilarious
>>
>>39062452
try a diffrent genre
i can only get into fantasy books.

The Name of the Wind, The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One
is good
>>
>>39062452
Listen to audio books. Just press play and listen to it until it finishes playing.

That's the easiest way to read.
>>
>>39062452

>make sure you're actually interested in reading your book
>go somewhere quiet and peaceful to read like a park or a library (or even just in another room away from your computer)
>Look up the Pomodoro Technique for a nice way to manage your attention to something
>cut back on using the internet and playing vidya (they really don't teach you to be attentive and patient for the most part)
>read literary criticism so you know better what to read for
>>
>>39062684
How much time on a daily basis do you spend deading? Do you sit down and read for like 6 hours or are your sittings shorter? My biggest problem is that i get drained out and don't feel like reading even if something interests me. I'm not sure if i am just lazy or am i a brainlet.
>>
>>39062749
Where can i find good literary critics? Should i just use youtube to find random people or what?
>>
My reading troubles ended as soon as I got a job and got outside every day. Staying inside rots your brain and ruins any capacity you would have had for learning.

I've been employed for a month and already read 3 books desu.
>>
>>39062684
the problem is starting, but once i started a good book i will keep reading untill i get distracted by someone or somthing. and i will be hyped about reading it untill i finish it.

don't read if you don't feel like it just get a bunch of good books from a genre you like or a bunch of genres if you don't know what you like and when you feel like it pick one up.
>>
>>39062765
>>39063048
metal beams steal melts
>>
>>39062452
>>39062632
Norwegian Wood is one of Murakami's weaker novels. If it's not interesting you or you're struggling to read it there's no shame in looking for something you're more comfortable with
>>
>>39063241

Is it a weaker novel? Everybody around me raves about it.

A lot of people say it's their favorite work by him.
>>
>>39062803

/lit/ will probably give you better answers than us. Never go to youtube.
>>
>>39063379
Don't get me wrong it's still a good book but as someone who enjoys his short stories and the more surreal novels he's written. Like The Wind Up Bird Chronicles, A Wild Sheep Chase and Khafka On The Shore. I can't help but find it boring and rather bland.
>>
>>39062452
>How do i develop a reading habit? I am currently reading Norwegian wood and i'm having trouble consistently reading.
Bump
>>
>>39062452
Get a better book, dummy
>>
File: 1501639051337.jpg (26KB, 463x325px) Image search: [Google]
1501639051337.jpg
26KB, 463x325px
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read five pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.