[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw just got diagnosed with autism I've always thought

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

File: 1481385830361.jpg (5KB, 200x161px) Image search: [Google]
1481385830361.jpg
5KB, 200x161px
>tfw just got diagnosed with autism

I've always thought I never had it because I've been okay with reading people's emotions and don't have any autistic interests, but apparently I do have it.

My parents made me see someone after I had another breakdown during a job. This was the third time it happened. I thought I was just being a pussy faggot who can't handle pressure but my therapist says it was sensory overload due to autism.

Anyone else been diagnosed with the 'tism late in life?
>>
>>38999909
I was diagnosed with autism when I was 22. Apparently I was diagnosed when I was 4 years old as well but my parents hid it from me because they thought the diagnosis was wrong. It fucked me over.
>>
>>38999909

what r the main traits?

i highly suspect i have it but my psych says no and doesnt wanna send me for further testing.

i dont have reading emotion problems, no autistic interests, not much sensory issues etc either
>>
Why has everyone autism the last 5 years?
Sounds like doctors have lowered the medical reqs to what autism means.
I think I have it too. I fail interviews all the time and act really strange during regular jobs.
>>
>>38999999

Where is Kek btw?
>>
>>38999909
>Anyone else been diagnosed with the 'tism late in life?

I got diagnosed last year, at 25.

It's hard to accept that I'm always going to be like this.
I'd spent most of my life telling myself that one day I'd become normal.
>>
>>38999909
bruh you don't fucking have autism, I consider autistic people the ones that walk down the hallways in school screaming and throwing shit 24/7 and they can't read, medical diagnosis or not you probably just got some underlying issues but i doubt your fucking autistic
>>
>>39000267
Autism is a spectrum disorder with varying severity. It doesn't make everyone that has it a screeching retard that thrashes about.
>>
>>39000182
>It's hard to accept that I'm always going to be like this.
>I'd spent most of my life telling myself that one day I'd become normal.

If it helps, I'm a lot less autistic than I was as a kid and as a teenager. You will learn to adapt and grow and stuff. Normies will always find something "off" about you though, no matter how much you research good social skills. But either you let those feels take over you or you try to focus on your own hobbies and interests.
>>
>>38999909
Has the diagnosis helped you? Are you parents taking it easier on you now because of it? Are you going to try for autismbux?
>>
>>39000410
>research good social skills
I didn't learn social skills because my parents were weird too and their parents very weird too.

Then I got generalized anxiety which made me quiet and shy.
Is this still autistic? The environment made me act like a sperg not genetics..
>>
>>39000686
People are a product of their genetics AND their environment.

Of course you would've ended up a different person if your parents/environment were different. A better person? Who knows. But different surely.

However, someone with different genetics would've also ended up a different person under your same circumstances. Again, not necessarily better, but different for sure. But the fact of the matter is that with the right kind of genetics, you could've become a Chad or whatever successful different person you want to be, even with the parents/environment you had.

The point is that you really shouldn't put all blame on your genetics OR your environment. It's the specific combination of both that makes you what you are.
>>
>>39000623

It hasn't really helped me in any way other than I can put a name to my problems. My parents are still acting like I should just "get over it" but at least they still let me live with them and stuff. I will try to go for autismbux, but I'm afraid I might not be autistic enough for it. I remember a thread a while back about an autist getting rejected just because he was able to shower and feed himself. Although things might work differently in different places.
>>
aspergers isn't real. autism is a spectrum but the people actually on it are varying degrees of nonfunctional. you're falling for memes and i don't know why.
>>
>>39000267
>medical diagnosis or not
You sound like a moron
>>
I got it in middle school, so not that late.

Has always been a burden, worrying about retarded teachers not understanding that it's great discrimmination material if they share it with other students.

I can't really tell if it'd be better to get diagnosed later, but being diagnosed while still in school sucks. No advantages, just worries.
And now I'm facing other discrimmination too like being allowed to emigrate to other countries and denial of insurance.

Maybe I'd feel like shit if I didn't know, but I know that knowing and having it on paper also is shit.
>>
>>39000768
This is some Witcher tier philosophy there.
Problem is environment and genetics sound like whining when it comes to dating.
What am I going to say to a date "you need to know that I might seem strange but it's not my fault.."
I feel that "normie" basic women reject immediately any signs of autism.
>>
File: tfw1501373787749.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tfw1501373787749.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
>>39000815
>tfw noone hires you becausr autismo interviews
>yfw the goberments won't give you moneys because not spergy enough

It is a very abstract kind of feel.
>>
>>39000267
Autism is a spectrum.
More likely those people you see that screech or throw shit have Downs or are literally mentally retarded.
>>
>>38999909
Autism means we can feel the emotions of others, and we often times end up wearing it. We develop the theory of mind second.
>>
File: 1501696466800.png (46KB, 253x294px) Image search: [Google]
1501696466800.png
46KB, 253x294px
>>39000966
You're implying anyone with autism/robots could even get a girl to speak to them willingly, let alone go out on a date.
>>
Does telling people you got the autism get you more or less leway socially?
>>
>>39001000
I can relate a bit. But have actually been able to work a bit lately.
Too autistic to get a job, not autistic enough for welfare. So your only option is to live with your parents forever, and if not for them, live on the streets.
>>
Where do I go to get tested? I am taking a vacation from work but haven't thought that far ahead
>>
>>39001040
That's why I tread on a very bizarre no man's land.. I can manage to go out on some dates but up to that point. Being a cyborg is a bitter ordeal..

I don't belong here but don't belong in /soc/ either..
>>
>>39001011
>>39000686
I have that too.. and think to myself too much. And have very little sense of small talk.. is it time for the doctor visit?
>>
>>39001073
I don't think you can do a quick autism test. At least that's not what happened with me. I talked with a therapist for weeks and then I got the autism diagnosis.

>>39001055
It's not like they'll be automatically accepting and be your friend. They'll just try to refrain from making fun of you to your face.
>>
>>38999909
You got a meme diagnosis

You don't have autism. Mental health professionals like to build business.
>>
>>39001055
I haven't told, so no personal experience, but it depends on what people you surround yourself with.

A lot of people will make lots of assumptions about you. They may assume you don't understand sarcasm and metaphors and in a really condescending way explain them to you every time. They may assume you don't like to be touched and abstain from hugging you when they hug everyone else.
But they may also tolerate rude comments from you more, if you explain that you don't understand how rude they are due to autism.
Some will start to see everything you do in the light of autism, you are no longer allowed to be yourself but just the autist to them. Your opinions and likes and dislikes may not be respected because they are dismissed as "autistic opinions".

I would be careful about sharing it with people, but it really depends on how much you need to share it, and what type of people you surround yourself with. I could probably be more open about it, because I know countless people who actually are open about it and are super popular with tons of friends. But on the other hand, I'm not at all popular so people may react differently to me
>>
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you didn't have a clinically significant speech delay in infancy then you don't have autism spectrum disorder.

>but my therapist says-
No. Please fucking stop
>>
>>39001011
Artists are basically extremely sensitive to stimuli from the environment and are unable to process it like normal people. They rrlatr everything to themselves, so if they read something sad they will get upset because it reminds them of something they faced. If they have no experience with that emotion, often times they can't relate, and since they can't process emotions like normal people, they end up feeling different from others but not knowing why. To them everyone is like them, they can't understand other people have other thoughts and experience. They develop that aspect if empathy later in life than most kids. Thus brings even more pressure on them, they can read the atmosphere and pressure, but they don't even know it. They wear it. If someone is happy, they're happy, likewise if someone is upset. They are overly sensitive to their environment, because they think on a personal level, and the world is just cruel. It wasn't built for people with autism.
>>
>>39001111
Don't they just do a blood test for it nowadays?
>>
File: 117456281.jpg (22KB, 552x571px) Image search: [Google]
117456281.jpg
22KB, 552x571px
>>39001055
You gotta get one of the hats.
>>
>>39001175
>autists*
At work on break rn
>>
>>39001171
>clinically significant speech delay in infancy
no longer part of the diagnostic criteria, because it described the disorder very poorly.
>>
>>38999932
What are your autismal traits?
>>
>>38999932
I'd be pissed beyond belief if my parents did that, I'm 24 now and have always felt like dogshit over how I was treated like some thing to be pitied
>>
>>39001216
Wrong

The speech delay is fundamental to the pathogenesis of the condition.

Read the actual academic literature please
>>
>>39001185
That's testing for genetic autism, it can be caused in different ways.
>>
>>39001272
Please cite the academic literature you are referring to.
>>
>>38999909
Yes, at 27. I went in for depression/anxiety, wanted to try meds, autism wasn't something i had ever considered at the time. They asked their questions and i blathered on about my problems. GP referred me to psychiatrist who referred me for neuropsych testing. Verdict was autism and OCD.

Meds have helped some. I also did a year of cognitive behavioural therapy for ocd which also helped a little.
>>
>>38999909
>I've always thought I never had it because I've been okay with reading people's emotions and don't have any autistic interests, but apparently I do have it.
>he fell for the media representation of autism
>>
>>39001272
It's a spectrum, before when aspergers was a thing, doctors ruled out speech delay because it didn't describe those with high functioning autism.
>>
>>39001272
I'm a clinical psychologist currently working in a closed ward specialized in autism. I'm sorry man, new ideas come up, definitions change. I'm very well aware of the literature and used to diagnose based on those conditions. New research changed the way we look at it. Keep up to date.
>>
>>39001171
>>39001171
Well, I got aspergers, but close enough that I join these threads anyway.
>>
File: 9328032984.jpg (191KB, 624x480px) Image search: [Google]
9328032984.jpg
191KB, 624x480px
>>39001000
Trips confirm it. I always sperg out during interviews and when trying to talk with normies, but I'm not turboautist to the point of being unable to function on daily tasks. I wish I had autismbux to live the life of a comfy neet.
>>
>>39001304
It does apply to HFA.

Just because someone exhibits a broader autistic phenotype doesn't mean they meet the criteria for autism spectrum disorder

Disorder meaning dysfunction. Over 90% of people with HFA are unemployed. If you can hold a job then it's extremely unlikely that you meet the criteria for diagnosis.
>>
>>39001340
It is s a spectrum anon
>>
>>39001055
I don't tell anyone. Only my family knows. Seems to me that it would be counter productive. This is especially a point of contention with my job. I am concerned that if that information was made available to my superiors it would negatively impact their willingness to consider me for promotions; not because of my actual ability to do the work but because of the bias.
>>
>>39001310

What are the main signs to look out for?

I always felt like I have it. Been to psych, they said no so they didnt send me for further testing. But in a psych clinic you dont see social interaction happen naturally, so how do you test?
>>
>>39001310
>>39001304
>>39001285
I'm posting from my normiephone but here's an example

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20800990/?i=6&from=/26476738/related

"ASD is an emergent disorder that is characterized by the loss of social communication skills in the period between 9 and 24 months."
>>
>>39001431
We do see social interactions. For one, they interact with me, but we usually invite whatever social network they have for a conversation. For the youngest (4-16) it's usually the parents and maybe a sibling. Older than that and it's parents/sibling/partner to see what happens. You're not going to be diagnosed like this on the internet, our diagnostic process takes anywhere between 8 - 20 hours of different kinds of testing. With the really obvious cases it can be faster, but the mere fact that you're typing coherent sentences and have asked a psych before tells me you're not all that severe.
>>
File: REEEtard.jpg (18KB, 680x583px) Image search: [Google]
REEEtard.jpg
18KB, 680x583px
>>39001488
>I'm a phonefaggot I'm incapable of even basic tasks
>2010
>meme autism didn't start up until the last few years
>>
>>39001272
The difference between aspergers and classic autism in DSM-IV was presence of language development delays in childhood. Under DSM-V, aspergers and pdd-nos were included under the greater autism spectrum disorder umbrella.

Bear in ming that aspergers is not necessarily a high functioning disorder. I have met other aspies in therapy who were just as bad as the people with classic autism.
>>
>>39001431
>how do you test?

I had to do about five hours of interviews with with psychiatrist and clinical psychologist, blood tests done by my gp to rule out physical causes for my problems, and then a battery of tests both written and verbal over the course of three 3 hour sessions. It was exhausting. I guess all told maybe 25 hours in outpatient psychiatric ward.
>>
>>39000966
>What am I going to say to a date "you need to know that I might seem strange but it's not my fault.."
I know it's a meme but I'm a firm believer in "just be yourself" when it comes to relationships.

I completely understand that being "strange" makes things difficult, and if you have to put on a normie act to get a job and feed yourself, well that's just something you might have to suck up and do.

What I don't understand is why someone would want to put on an act when it comes to friends and romantic interests. Do you really want friends who don't like you for who you really are, or a girlfriend who doesn't actually love the real you? In the long run, that will probably just lead to more pain than being lonely. I think it's worth "being yourself" even if it means 99.9% of people will reject you, because at least you still have a .1% chance of finding people who genuinely like you.
>>
>>39001517

What if I'm just hiding the traits really well?
I'm 23 y.o and I feel like I have always been different from most people.
Always have to put on a mask when talking to normal people if I don't want to be ostracized because I don't relate.
When I talk to people I need to consciously come up with stuff to say, it doesn't come naturally to me; my natural state is to say nothing. Talking isn't fun to me at all. It takes massive energy for me to even have a basic conversation with a friend. I also have to tell myself to maintain eye contact and all that shit.

I live in a part of the world where adult autism diagnosis doesn't even exist, and I certainly don't have the means to travel somewhere else and get diagnosed..
I think it would be really good for myself to at least know whether I have it or not, its been bugging me my whole life.

If you were to state one main trait; the most pertinent and distinguishing trait of autism, what would it be?
>>
>>39000126
Easier to diagnose and push treatments than to acknowledge failures of upbringing.
>>
>>39001674

what kind of questions do they ask in interviews and stuff? do you know what's the main signs they're looking out for?

because I feel like I have it, but I'm a pretty damn good actor and its such an ingrained part of my personality that I feel like psychs won't be able to see any traits at all, which is what my psych has said. its been bugging me since because i was so damn sure i had it
>>
>>38999909
>i most likely have autism or some other retard disease.
>dont get diagnosed because i want to get a job after college
>>
>>38999909
>the 'tism
I say this constantly. Are you me?
>>
>>39002433
>what kind of questions do they ask in interviews and stuff? do you know what's the main signs they're looking out for?

I couldn't begin to summarize the questions. They ask about everything including lots of questions that seem entirely unrelated. Keep in mind psych assessment doesn't look for just one problem. They ask everything and loom for patterns to make a decision about whatever pigeon hole they think you may occupy.

You can look up the DSM-V diagnostic criteria autism spectrum disorder on the goggles.
>>
>>38999932
Same thing happened to me too
>>
>>39002431

Perhaps. However, you will find lots more autistic people here on anonymous image board than you will in general public just because the format is comfortable; detached semi social interaction with time constraints, names, etc. I think there are more people with legitimate developmental and personality disorders on 4chan than there are on disorder specific sites like wrongplanet.
>>
>>39002727
*without time constraints, names...
>>
I always had the impression that I was different from the other kids (since I was 6 at least) and they always thought I was "weird" even when I tried to behave normally. Luckily I wasn't really bullied or friendless since I'm self-aware enough to know what to not do in public. Only autistic behavior when I'm alone.

I do feel like I'm autistic, but something is bothering me.

They said aspies lack empathy and this is certainly not me.
I'm actually too empathetic for my own good. I can't stop feeling for the others even when I don't want to care.

If my social skills suck, it's not because I don't understand normies or can't read their expressions, I'm simply too different from them and they feel that something is "off" about me even when I try to act like them. I will always be "weird", even for my friends.

Is there anyone with autism but able to feel empathy?
>>
>>39002387
Sorry if this is late, I was having dinner. I say again, I can't and won't diagnose you over the internet. What I can say is you describe things that are common in people on the spectrum, especially high functioning ones. If you told me these things I would at least want to start the diagnostic process. I'm sorry if healthcare sucks where you live, and I get wanting a label (sometimes it helps us have peace with our behavior), but it wouldn't fundamentally change who you are. If these things you describe are a part of who you are (not caused by some anxiety) this might be who you are. No shame in believing that, regardless of diagnosis. Also: you are allowed to believe you have anything. If you recognize many traits and feel like the label suits you, there is no one stopping you from thinking of yourself as having autism spectrum disorder.
>>
>>39002431
Psychologist from before here. What treatment are you talking about? There are no evidence based treatments for ASD. There is no treatment or cure, so there is nothing to push.
>>
File: 1499807279240.png (63KB, 386x399px) Image search: [Google]
1499807279240.png
63KB, 386x399px
>dad said he thinks I have aspergers
Fuck you, you fucking piece of shit
>>
>>39002940
>I'm actually too empathetic for my own good. I can't stop feeling for the others even when I don't want to care.
>If my social skills suck, it's not because I don't understand normies or can't read their expressions, I'm simply too different from them and they feel that something is "off" about me even when I try to act like them. I will always be "weird", even for my friends.
This is me exactly. I'm spergy in a lot of ways but I'm very empathetic and don't really have trouble with expressions. I'm also not extremely terrible with conversations and interactions, but there has to be a clear order of business to it.

If I'm caught off guard with small talk or have to put some sort of creativity into an interaction, that's when the sperging begins.
>>
>>39003513
Same as well, i'm incredibly social and empathetic but i can't into groups or strangers, i sperg every time. I hold my spaghetti and i think i appear normal but, i simply can't connect with strangers
>>
>>39003513
I'm the guy you replied too, yeah exactly the same for me.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.