[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

honestly, i don't have any talent. i don't excel in

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_6039.jpg (62KB, 785x644px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6039.jpg
62KB, 785x644px
honestly, i don't have any talent. i don't excel in any particular areas. and i have no idea what i want to do in life. i graduated from high school this year and everyone i know is going to college. i would go to college, if i ever had a fucking clue what i wanted to do. but i just don't. i have hobbies, but i enjoy doing anything that would get me a job. what the fuck am i supposed to do?
>>
>>38949216
Pick something you are not terrible at (=/= good at) and stick to it. That's how I unironically became a HS teacher. I'm bad at social interaction but for some reason I'm somewhat good at explaining things in a way people can understand
>>
forget about your life and the world around you
>>
Join the Navy

Oregano pepino
>>
>>38949278
thanks for the suggestion man. i'm terrible at public speaking, but you guys get paid in the summer, right? i think i would be down for 3 months of no work, still getting paid.
>>38949346
that seems cool, but what would i even be doing?
>>
>>38949457
Operating weapons systems on big ships, helping to navigate big ships, or doing logistics/cooking/IT stuff on big ships. Go to the website and check it out. The ships seem super comfy, and the small spaces/lack of women are fitting for the robot lifestyle.

I ended up going to college for IT instead of joining the Navy, but I still might join the reserves once I get out of school.
>>
>>38949560
that DOES sound comfy.
i'll keep it in mind.
>>
>>38949346
>>38949457
Navy actual here. What specific questions do you have?
>>
>>38949770
how long are you guys at sea for? what are the funnest jobs in your opinion? how do you get the qualifications for your job?
>>
>>38949876
1. It depends on what we're doing. Are we on deployment? Because that typically lasts 6-9 months depending on what kind of ship you are on. If you are out for an inspection/qualification, you could be out for anywhere between a week and two months.

2. Most fun job? Uhhhhh. A job is a job. I'm and ET, and I love the shit out of my job. How much "fun" you have is dependent upon your rating. Our watch station is 6 hours long of us playing video games, as opposed to BMs who stand lookout for 5 hours at a time. There are cool collateral jobs you can get like VBSS.

3. You get qualifications by doing your job and having someone watch you. You can google NavyCOOL and see what civilian qualifications you can get. You also get college credits for your A and C school.
>>
File: Capture+_2017-08-08-23-48-09.png (2MB, 1248x1371px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-08-08-23-48-09.png
2MB, 1248x1371px
>>38949346
oh my fucking god I've found my calling
Thank you so much anon
>>38949560
and you too
>>
>>38949959
i'm going to look a bit into joining the military. i live right near an air force base, so i think i might just see what each branch has to offer. thanks for the answers bro, now i have a something to look forward to at least
>>
>>38950261
Go for it man. Worst thing that can happen is you spend 4 years serving your country, have a couple G's saved up in the bank, and have college paid for.
>>
File: 1483995822443.jpg (469KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1483995822443.jpg
469KB, 1280x853px
>>38949216
Of course you don't have any talent, you just graduated high school.

"Anything that will get you a job" is pretty broad, but in many ways you are looking at it the right way. If you want a job where you do interesting work every day, college is a virtual necessity. That is sort of how careers work: you don't have to choose "your area of interest" like they say, you just have to choose "an area of interest that matches your mental horsepower and style of work."

By that, I mean that stupid people are going to be fine being a line cook, because the work is not that interesting. But smarter people are not going to be satisfied in that job, because it's not difficult enough for their mind. From 10,000 feet, every field that requires intellect is interesting and provides its own set of challenges. A very intelligent person would be fine being a chemist, physicist, psychologist, actuary, programmer, etc. because all of those are careers that are going to challenge him sufficiently.

If what I am describing sounds like you (someone who wouldn't be satisfied being e.g. a flight attendant, construction worker, or secretary):

Go to a cheap in state school and live on campus for the first year. Get good grades, but make sure you escape the robot lifestyle by socializing with everyone you possibly can even if it makes you uncomfortable. Take a wide variety of classes, and when you take STEM classes in particular, put a lot of effort in. You'll find what you like, because they require you to take all different courses. Don't think about what you're going "to do," just do your best in school and don't go into a crazy debt. Get good grades and get a scholarship. You have to have at least some general areas of interest. Take classes that sound interesting, take classes that your friends or RAs tell you have fun professors, and do well in your classes. You are pretty much guaranteed to figure out what you like.
>>
>>38949216
Become a pe teacher and enjoy your life bro. You don't have to do shit and 2 year in im making $45/ hr and smoking weed almost everyday
>>
>>38950530
That said there are pitfalls. Don't major in something that didn't exist thirty years ago, unless the field was created by advances in technology.

The most important thing you can do in school is facilitate relationships. So unless you are in a VERY hot field, if you don't have relationships you will struggle to find work after school. That means, know your professors, make friends, and look for opportunities to do "real work" (internships, volunteer work, etc.)

Networking is doubly important if you are in a major that the STEM people make fun of, like english, history, art, etc, because it's more difficult to find jobs in those fields so you have to leverage your network more.

When I say networking, I don't mean "networking." Saying "I'm going to go out there and network" is not the right way to approach it. Just get outside. If you see something, sign up for it. Spend your time getting to know people in class, in your volunteer work, in your clubs, etc.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.