[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New job starting tomorrow. How do I not fuck it up from the getgo?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

New job starting tomorrow. How do I not fuck it up from the getgo? How do I socialize with my coworkers? How do I not kill myself within a month for working 40 hours a week?
>>
>>38897068
>40 hours
that's a part time job lol. you'll be fine
>>
>>38897068
what's the job OP? If it's fun, you can tell us stories about it.
>>
File: 1345329400141.png (30KB, 787x773px) Image search: [Google]
1345329400141.png
30KB, 787x773px
>>38897068
Show up early and stay late for a while if you can bear it. And then try to improve things rather than merely doing your job.

I'm unemployed so take my advice with a grain of salt.

>mfw two in-person interviews next week
>>
File: RARE PEPE.jpg (54KB, 465x576px) Image search: [Google]
RARE PEPE.jpg
54KB, 465x576px
>>38897217
>40 hours
>that's a part time job lol
says the slave. the fact that you have to dedicate 40 hours a week to something you hate just to be able to live in this society sucks dick. anyone who says otherwise has just learned to cope and doesn't want their belief system challenged. IT SUCKS!
>>
>>38897289
I don't hate what I do. I have a rewarding job that involves helping people
>>
>>38897068
>How do I not fuck it up from the getgo?
Show up on time. Make sure you follow their rules (know the dress code, don't walk about anything that's not work appropriate, etc.). Pay attention when they tell you what you need to do to do the job correctly (take notes if you need to). Common sense stuff.

>How do I socialize with my coworkers?
Tomorrow, on your first day, smile, look friendly and go up and introduce yourself to pretty much everyone you see (unless they look busy). Going forward, pretend to take an interest in their boring personal stories, even if you couldn't care less.
>>
>>38897241
Software developer. I actually like programming and software technology but the related jobs I had until now made me wanna kill myself within one week.
One of the most terrible things is that I was too socially inept to properly socialize and I ended up being the faceless guy who sits over there and probably does his job. Not that I didn't try though... I'm afraid I'm gonna shit it up again.

>>38897288
That's unironically what I'd like to do, but I probably won't have the energy to do more than I need to. Apart from that, I'll also travel to work 1+ hours each day, so overtime is gonna fuck me even more up.
Best of luck with your interviews.

>>38897289
This guy gets it
>go to work when it's dark outside
>get home when it's dark outside
>2 (two) days of freedom so you just barely survive
>somehow you're expected not to be suicidal after a month max
>>
>>38897288
>Show up early and stay late for a while if you can bear it

Don't do this unless you're getting paid for it
>>
>>38897310
What's "acceptable" clothing for a programmer? I've seen guys running around unshaven with cargo shorts and band shirts, and at other companies all the guys were wearing proper shirts. I guess I'll go with a shirt then, but I hope that there'll be no need for that since I only have two.

>introduce yourself
I know it sounds autistic to ask this, but how do I do that? I can't think of anything that doesn't sound like shit. And how do I keep the conversation going?
>>
I've read in a few business books that employees and employers make a permanent impression their first 6 weeks on the job.
Meaning that if you just show up early, leave late and look busy all the time for the first 2 months, you will be labeled a hard worker the rest of your time there even if you slack off and come in late.
>>
>>38897481
depends on the company.

I have my own company and the most thing I value on my workers is they don't need someone to tell them what to do once they finish a job.

I don't care much about staying late but I care that they are always on time.
>>
>>38897452
There's nothing wrong with being the faceless guy who does his job, after all it's why you're there. Software developers are usually more introverted than other people so maybe your coworkers won't be complete normies, no guarantees though
>>
>>38897068

the killing yourself over a 40 hour work week thing is really for people who hate their job or have depression and feel like they need 12+ hours of sleep and 6+ hours to play vieogames(had a roommate who fit both categories). If you like your job you and don't have mental issues it should be easy.
>>
>>38897668
well of course you care, you own the fucking company

Why exactly would a worker drone give a shit?
>>
>>38898532
>the killing yourself over a 40 hour work week thing is really for people who hate their

90% of people then
>>
>>38897640
Go up to someone, say I'm the new guy and give them a firm handshake. Smile and compliment them. Avoid complimenting the women until you know they are chill
>>
>>38898567

lol maybe. I worked a job I absolutely hated for my first job and getting up in the morning was awful, but it showed me what tasks I hated and what I liked. Currently found a job doing what I like with decent pay and 48 hours a week just seems to fly by easily.
>>
>>38898532
>hate their job
Too soon I guess.
>have depression and feel like they need 12+ hours of sleep
Sounds like me. All memes aside, the last 2 jobs I worked at made me wanna kill myself within a week, and I don't mean that in an overly dramatic way.

>>38898613
>firm handshake
thanks dad

>>38898849
Unlike my other two jobs, this one will pay pretty good. Takes some of the horror away.
>>
File: 1501178169031.jpg (87KB, 640x961px) Image search: [Google]
1501178169031.jpg
87KB, 640x961px
>>38898532
>have depression and feel like they need 12+ hours of sleep and 6+ hours to play vieogames
>>38898945
>All memes aside, the last 2 jobs I worked at made me wanna kill myself within a week, and I don't mean that in an overly dramatic way.

>tfw it's been like this since I was 18 and it's still like this at 29
>it's still like this for my dad at 62
>>
>>38898532
This must be coming from a guy who doesn't have to commute for work.

Consider this average work life style of the average rural American.

>Lives in a small town near a city and has to commute, as the very few jobs in the area are either taken or given through nepotism ("Family Business")
>Has to prepare his/her own food, or even worse food for others too.
>showers when they get home (or for extra: showers before work and when they come back too/or at night before sleep)
>Possible traffic in the commute before and after work, especially if it's a 9-5 job.

So with these applied here's the average work day cut up into specific tasks in a 24 hour set up

>8 hours sleep
>30 minutes waking up, brushing teeth and getting uniform/outfit ready for work.
>10 minutes preparing breakfast
>20 minutes eating breakfast and drinking coffee, then getting stuff on and getting out the door for work.
>1 hour drive into the city, to your job, getting ready, and clocking in on time.
>8 hours of work, depending on the work load - sometimes more.
>1 hour drive back home, sometimes more due to traffic and stopping for coffee, stopping for something to eat, etc
>30 minutes of finally getting home, putting stuff away, and getting ready to shower, possibly saying hi to loved ones and doing menial tasks.
>30 minutes of showering
>Get upstairs and realize you're very hungry as you need at least 3 meals a day, sometimes 4 if you work a physical job.
>1 hour: Prepare food and eating it.
>2 hours of free time -you- time.
>30 minutes getting ready for bed, switching to pajamas, making the bed, and brushing teeth then finally laying down
>30 minutes to fall asleep
>Repeat 5 days a week.

So in reality that 6+ hours of free time you meme about is actually cut down to MAYBE 2 hours of actual time to myself if I don't for some reason have other tasks to do that day like fixing stuff or family stuff.

Wage cucking is suffering incarnate if you're a family man.

Source: My life.
>>
>>38898555
Because if the worker drone doesn't give a shit I fire him.

Usually this never happens because I hire people who I know will not disappoint me.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.