[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I, a person who doesn't follow a religious doctrine,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: 1501190134915.jpg (71KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1501190134915.jpg
71KB, 900x900px
What should I, a person who doesn't follow a religious doctrine, tell people who ask if I'm an atheist?

Atheist, in modern language, brings about so many negative connotations that I'm not sure if I should use it.
>>
say you're a copitc orthodox christian. nobody knows shit about it, so they can't refute you
>>
>>38862155
"I don't follow a religious doctrine"
>Oh are you atheist?
"I don't think there is a god or afterlife but I'm not against spirituality or people using religion to make themselves better."

That's what I tell most. That said I have 0 baggage with religion so I have no passion if some thinks it's real or is bothered I don't. My 30+ NEET friend is basket case that can't stay clam in the room if someone else mentions god. People like him are why atheism has such a bad rap, they just shit all over people because of personal issues they never work out with others.
>>
Nice job, guys.
You've unironically created the environment I feel safest in.
>>
File: 1465942156122.jpg (86KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
1465942156122.jpg
86KB, 500x484px
>>38862155
why have you forsaken me, pete?
>>
>>38862155

atheist is still the easiest thing to say.

you could just say you're secular i guess? people will know what you mean but won't start judging you right away.

i also think it gives a more accurate connotation. being an "atheist" sounds like a doctrine of some kind to people when it isn't really, it's just the absence of religious dogma from your thoughts and life.
>>
>>38862155
I don't believe religion but it's alright for people who do. It's that simple.
>>
File: pete.jpg (139KB, 740x960px) Image search: [Google]
pete.jpg
139KB, 740x960px
Kill me, Pete. My time has come
>>
>>38862155
I just say agnostic because then it seems like you're trying to be open about it (as opposed to a hard "no")

I too stay away from the word though I guess it's what I really believe. I know your feel OP
>>
>>38862155
Bow down and praise chirst you rebulison child.
No greater feeling than allowing gods love in your heart
>>
File: 5743734788.png (405KB, 529x376px) Image search: [Google]
5743734788.png
405KB, 529x376px
>>38862331
> being an "atheist" sounds like a doctrine of some kind to people when it isn't really, it's just the absence of religious dogma from your thoughts and life.
the problem here is a lot of people take it as a doctrine and use it as some way to belittle theists and it's just made it mutate to where now many kids and NEETs take it like religion, worse they pour it into science and then treat science like it's a religion.
>mfw a edge lord said scientist are "pure, flawless and without bias"
>mfw I've meet people that talk about Bill Nye like he's Jesus Christ
>>
>>38862371
kill me pete. please. it's never worked before, but i hope it does now
>>
>>38862485
Most people don't even know that Nye is an engineer, not a scientist. Pretty amusing that they raise him up as a science god when he isn't even a science major.
>>
If you want to just end the conversation with minimal dispute, say you've never really gone to church. If they're the types to try inviting you, say you think it's good for people to have a more personal faith.

I went for the whole "I'm an atheist" thing. Nothing's changed inside me, but I lean more towards the "yeah it's not for me" attitude when telling people since it softens their reactions.
>>
>>38862527
a 2-bit engineer who went on to be an actor/shill I might add
>>
>>38862527
Not anon but I watch a weird talk/fight with two friends over Nye and one basically went full retard when it was pointed out Nye was an engineer turn actor. He just ignore the facts and just kept talking about how stupid all this shit people of faith believe and any time my friend try to guide the topic back to what Nye really was he would just ignore it and keep going back to anecdotal shit of all these dumb christian friends and what they believed. That said he's a thirty year old NEET diabetic that wasted his health with baconators and wow over the last sixteen years I've know him so maybe I shouldn't be so taken back he still acts like he's twelve. I don't think god is real but holy shit people like him make me reluctant to admit it sometimes.
>>
>>38862658
What should make us all sad was it work. Humans are there own downfall with or without religion.
>>
>>38862554
>>38862554
>you've never really gone to church
That would be a fairly large lie. I'm even baptized. Though I do understand the sentiment that you and the most of the rest of the thread are trying to say, that I should amicably describe myself rather than simply declare myself an atheist. I think I'll try to adapt these tips.
>>
Any reasonable person knows what the word means and if you dont go around preaching how religious people are retards, they wont assume that you jerk off to pictures of Richard Dawkins.
>>
>>38862527
>bill Nye the bachelor degree guy
What a fucking joke
>>
>>38862220
>all those words when you could just say "I don't know" to both questions
>>
>>38862220
Some of it has to do with Christians themselves. I definitely think that a lot of the 'angry atheists' aren't angry at religion so much as religious people. Tends to be that they had to grow up dealing with religious people that didn't show them any respect so they blame all religious people for the actions of a few that they knew growing up. Not really saying that its ok, but I don't think that Christians really understand this it causes problems since it turns into the sort of situation where one side responds to the others aggression with even more aggression and it just escalates from their but both sides feel like the other is the aggressor and they're just defending themselves.
>>
>>38862155
Just say you are agnostic, most people are retards and don't even know what it means and it doesn't have negative connotations, so people who do know won't give you shit for it
>>
>>38862371
Kill me, Pete

in an original heavenly way
>>
>>38863028
You do understand that just makes a cycle where there is always one side that seems more nuts than the other and it's only when one becomes counter culture that the other has become obnoxious?

Also you can defend yourself calmly and without going out of your way to hurt others but a lot of edge lords are hating on parents, peers or others over their belief system to where they just becme the very thing they hate and actually ensure a future where we just sling shot back to the way things were before.
>>
only religious nuts are going to go at you for being an atheist, however, I'd usually just say I don't beleive in anything or something like that.
>>
pete-san. kill me pete
>>
>>38863156
you be surprised
>>
>>38862155
>ehh i don't really think about that stuff, you know?
There ya go buddy
>>
>>38862155
I usually just say "I'm non-religious" or "Agnostic" or I just cave in and say I'm Catholic, as my family is Catholic.
>>
>>38863069

>agnostic
>it doesn't have negative connotations

Yes it does, it makes you seem as someone

>who does not know what they believe in
>who says anything just to not offend anyone
>who thinks that lack of proof is good enough reason to believe something
>>
>>38862371
Kill me, Pete

Ewige Blumenkraft
>>
>brings about so many negative connotations
That's the listener's problem.
Hiding from a word just makes you a poser confirmed for being insecure about a reference to yourself.
Like how there's a new phrase for black or retarded every couple years that no one has used meanly yet.
>>
>>38862174
I don't think Coptic has syncretic faiths anon, tell them you're a tengrii-nahautul mix

and LArp for the Larp god
>>
>>38862155
>American problems
In my experience, here in Europe barely anybody believes in God and we also don't ask other people if they do.

Unless you're from somewhere like Ireland
>>
>>38863512
Remember when retards were called scopes?
>>
>>38862155
Tell them your an atheist and they're retarded.
>>
>>38862155
wtf kind of fly over state do you live in that you cant tell people you're an atheist. jesus christ.
>>
>>38862155
Say you're Agnostic.
>>
>>38862155
I'm not religious

Suhusbjsnjebjenkenn
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.