[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are people on Reddit so boring and unfunny? How is this

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: lame.jpg (104KB, 976x794px) Image search: [Google]
lame.jpg
104KB, 976x794px
Why are people on Reddit so boring and unfunny?

How is this front page material?

I don't know what it is. But they're so lame. All the comments seem like they're written by middle aged moms. I just can't imagine young men writing these unless they were complete nu-male betas. I just don't know how to describe it.

Why is /r9k/ so funny? I love browsing 4chan and have been doing it for 11 years now. You guys still make me laugh. But Reddit reading these comments just make me sick. It's like a place where all the unfunny people never got bullied enough so they never learned.
>>
r/4chan is dreadful. "epic" posts you and I see everyday here get a shitload of upvotes there.
>>
If I were back in college and also a sociology major, I would honestly do research on this. I've visited 4chan for a decade now - which is pathetic in its own way - but within the last 2-3 also started visiting reddit.

The point is it's so clear to me that the structure of both boards have lead to their respective cultures. 4chan is anonymous and has no voting, so the only method of feedback is basically to call each other fags. What naturally arises out of this tends to be a very chaotic and polarizing environment: the best posts on 4chan are leave-you-in-tears hilarious, shocking, raw, and real. The worst are the most disgusting, vile things you have ever read in your life. And again because there is no quantification of like/dislike, the comments skew more towards combative that also tend to be on opposite ends of the hysterical-repulsive divide.
>>
>>38770989
In contrast, reddit has voting at its core as its main feedback mechanims. You can simply upvote/downvote and metaphorically walk away. Additionally this quantification also gamifies the environment to a certain degree, which is how you get the classic karmawhoring. What all this means is that the site is literally engineered (intentionally or not) to reward the anodyne. In regards to humor, your above-average post on reddit is barely amusing, however the worst post is just benignly lame. It's a sea of mediocrity as the average poster (consciously or not) works toward appealing towards the widest number of people possible, while exciting no one. I quickly discovered reddit's forte (to anyone who is not that middle schooler who repetitively regurgitates comedy movie quotes and thinks he's funny but is really just weird, annoying, and overbearing) is simply the consumption of information, like finding recipes.

I'll admit that personally I think with all that said, just overall 4chan skews towards being more funny on average than reddit; there's a reason there's an r/4chan but no /reddit/.

Kind of amazing though how simple decisions like that influence the entire makeup of a board.
>>
>>38771024
As long as I'm posting this shit for no reason, I'll give an example: I would honestly estimate that 50-60% of all comments (not the main posts, but the comments - whatever they're called) consist of what I can only describe as "chained jokes" - responses that offer no unique perspective or wit, but merely signal to the original commenter and other users that they get the joke, can play along, and are basically a member of the tribe. To be more specific, let's say that someone comments by quoting Family Guy for some reason. An astounding number of people will respond with no other content or writing than to simply parrot back other Family Guy quotes, regardless of whether or not it pertains to the overall context of the thread, or is even funny to begin with. In contrast, because 4chan neither rewards nor punishes either good or bad behavior in posting, a simple quote could elicit all kinds of responses, both positive and negative.
>>
>>38770207
because people on reddit work and we don't
that's actually more or less the truth
the human brain has in it like 6-7 hours of energy for work everyday
we NEETS browse and read "interesting" things all day (what else would we do), so when we interact with a person who isn't up to the latest news in whatever sphere they usually hold very basic or simple opinion on things
now if you work a boring job 8 hours a day there isn't much of a surprise that you become boring yourself
>>
>>38770989
>>38771024
>>38771178
You put in a lot of work for these posts and I like getting (you)s when I put work into a post so here's a (you) to show you that I appreciate your analysis, also I hope you have a good day
>>
>>38771280
Thanks my man. I have also wondered why reddit is so generically lame on average and that's the best hypothesis I've come up with.
>>
>>38771336
I've considered the topic myself and came to the same conclusion as you. I think 4chan has the added benefit of being consequence free which allows any form of humor to fly, so that many types of people find their vein of humor, along with being exposed to new types of humor. 4chan is a big metaphorical wall anything can be thrown at to see what sticks essentially. This also means a very large number of things are inherently stupid and worthless but again lack of repercussions means it's simply bypassed and forgotten.

As you already stated above, just the act of having a Karma system leads to fear of branching out and simultaneously appealing to the lowest common denominator constantly
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.